Dear Paradox Forum, I never thought it would happen to my country...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Get a friend to play with you and develop the world to get the resources you need.

Alternatively, buy another copy of the game, run it in another computer and play MP with RUSSIA to develop yourself their economy to get the resources you need.
It would be easier making your own ai than having a friend that likes vic 3

• 8Haha
Reactions:
It would be easier making your own ai than having a friend that likes vic 3
I have been playing Vic3 MP games since release with three different MP discord servers, one campaign on Friday, the other on Saturday and the last one in Sundays. Now we are all waiting to reseed after patch 1.1

PS: there are mods that improve AI: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2880152075

Playing more than one nation by yourself is still an option:
1669645963270.png

Reactions:
Reactions:
I am a bit late, but what happened to you is simply that you reached the resource cap of your country.
You can import goods via trade and you can try to grab some of the critical techs to improve output of bottleneck resource sectors (Diesel Pumps for mines is probaly where your enire oil supply will have to go), but that is about it. There is no "proper" solution.

You can downgrade automation PMs to employ more people, but from what I have seen that tends to just lower productivity and paychecks and everyone employed gets poorer. So you are probably better off having unemployed pops at terrible SOL and employed pops at decent wage with high SOL - that way you can at least boost demand for stuff like Services and Transportation, which is critical to avoid Railways subsidies and provide a liveable wage for pops in Urban centers. If you want you can pass Poor Laws to feed your excess money back into raising SOL of the poorest pops - it's not like you have any use for surplus money anymore once you reach resource capacity anyway.

The best approach to avoid this issue to reduce pop growth (e.g. by downsizing/abolishing Health Care, passing Women's Rights laws) to limit population growth to whatever the carrying capacity of your resource deposits is. This will vary by game due to trade playing a big role for stuff like lead (and coal in the case of China), but you should get a feeling for it after a few games.

Some more direct pointers:
(1) Run Power Plants on basic PMs. Lower productivity, but you will conserve a lot of coal.
(2) Use Diesel Pumps on as many mines as you can afford.
(3) Stop producing luxury goods in glass factories to conserve lead. Try to import Chinaware instead (rather ironic when you play as China).
(4) Use Electric trains, this will also reduce your coal footprint.
(5) Don't bother exporting goods, use your limited convoys to import as much as you can
(6) Make sure you grab Oceania for lots of extra ports. Will help a lot in the later stages of the game, and since many of these islands are single province there won't be any issues with rebellions & native uprisings and the like.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I am a bit late, but what happened to you is simply that you reached the resource cap of your country.
You can import goods via trade and you can try to grab some of the critical techs to improve output of bottleneck resource sectors (Diesel Pumps for mines is probaly where your enire oil supply will have to go), but that is about it. There is no "proper" solution.

You can downgrade automation PMs to employ more people, but from what I have seen that tends to just lower productivity and paychecks and everyone employed gets poorer. So you are probably better off having unemployed pops at terrible SOL and employed pops at decent wage with high SOL - that way you can at least boost demand for stuff like Services and Transportation, which is critical to avoid Railways subsidies and provide a liveable wage for pops in Urban centers.

The best approach to avoid this issue to reduce pop growth (e.g. by downsizing/abolishing Health Care, passing Women's Rights laws) to limit population growth to whatever the carrying capacity of your resource deposits is. This will vary by game due to trade playing a big role for stuff like lead (and coal in the case of China), but you should get a feeling for it after a few games.
Woman's rights law will double his working population
I have done that as China and gotten 100 million unemployed peoplw

Sure, but it's still better to have several million unemployed pops now, than dozens of millions unemployed later.
Population growth is an exponential thing, after all. Plus: All those poor unemployed pops will reduce pop growth even further. Perfect. ;)

Reactions:
Sure, but it's still better to have several million unemployed pops now, than dozens of millions unemployed later.
Population growth is an exponential thing, after all. Plus: All those poor unemployed pops will reduce pop growth even further. Perfect. ;)
Dependants contribute to your pops wealth despite not working so I don't think it's really worth it

Dependants contribute to your pops wealth despite not working so I don't think it's really worth it
I thought unemployed POPs are not dependants but a new POP. Dependants are elderly and children, as well as blessed soldiers. (I cannot access the game rn to check, sorry If I am mistaken)

I thought unemployed POPs are not dependants but a new POP. Dependants are elderly and children, as well as blessed soldiers. (I cannot access the game rn to check, sorry If I am mistaken)
Unemployed are pops yes but women (when they don't have rights) are dependants that generate income out of thin air

Reactions:
Yes, they do. But the main thing here is that Women's Laws reduce pop growth.
And it is actually really hard to reduce it when the majority of your pops has a decent SOL.

So if you are closing in on resource capacity it can still be better to have a few million extra unemployed poor pops now, then dozens of millions later down the timeline due to the higher pop growth. I had China & Japan games with 30-40% unemployment due to overpopulation. The results of that are MUCH worse.

Reactions:
And it is actually really hard to reduce it when the majority of your pops has a decent SOL.

So if you are closing in on resource capacity it can still be better to have a few million extra unemployed poor pops now, then dozens of millions later down the timeline due to the higher pop growth. I had China & Japan games with 30-40% unemployment due to overpopulation. The results of that are MUCH worse.
The first law increases your working population by 15% while the last one by ~80% for about 10% pop growth difference so I don't think it's really that better

(6) Make sure you grab Oceania for lots of extra ports. Will help a lot in the later stages of the game, and since many of these islands are single province there won't be any issues with rebellions & native uprisings and the like.

This was something I forgot to do, and I should have done it.

Hell, it's an old strategy from Vic2: grab as many coastal states as possible, even if they are crap, just for ports and naval bases.

I probably should have refused to enact healthcare. It was nice early on, but by 1915, demographic growth was not on my side anymore.

Unemployed are pops yes but women (when they don't have rights) are dependants that generate income out of thin air

Hmmm, would it make sense to implement policies and favor IGs that would increase dependent income while also taking dependents out of the workforce?

Like, would old age pensions, coupled with not letting trade unions be happy (solidarity boost), and having legal guardianship for women (lowest workforce ratio) actually be useful?

I mean, normally, I want as much labor as possible, but obviously that is not the correct optimization path this time around.

Hmmm, would it make sense to implement policies and favor IGs that would increase dependent income while also taking dependents out of the workforce?

Like, would old age pensions, coupled with not letting trade unions be happy (solidarity boost), and having legal guardianship for women (lowest workforce ratio) actually be useful?
yes, if you don't need the education you can send the children back to the coal mines again

• 1Love
Reactions:
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
I've been playing a new game as Germany, and I'm starving for wood again. But this time, I wasn't being peaceful, and I've been annexing a bunch of stuff.

And I noticed something about the logging industries of various countries.

1) Russian states are barely past their starting logging industries. Despite owning several states with throughput bonuses, Russia isn't even trying to build logging camps.

2) The United Baltic Provinces, despite being independent of Russia for 20 years, have zero logging camps built.

3) Despite high techs for nice PMs, and absurd demand on the market for both hard and softwoods, France still has states in 1909 with zero logging camps built. If she built logging camps, they would be more productive than factories at this point.

4) Spain has multiple states with zero logging camps built. They are in my freaking customs union. My market literally has insufficient hardwood to meet demand while Spanish logging camps remain idle.

5) Scandinavia has states with logging throughput bonuses and is in my market. They have recently built a few logging camps and swapped over to PMs that use electricity. They are piggybacking off my electrical power generation to make wood.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think only Sweden and Scandinavia have an AI that will build up logging camps. And I've been buying up wood across the globe for years. So, if I was under an embargo from half the planet, yeah, it would make sense that maybe nobody else is increasing wood production because they don't care about my needs. But the countries I've listed are either neighbors of me (so no convoys required to trade) or in my market, and they should be willing to spam logging camps to sell to me.

I think I should bug report this, but I'm not sure how to frame the discussion.

EDIT:

It's worth pointing out that furniture and paper are household goods for POPs alongside glass. All three items in this POP need category either require wood or have wood as a production option (glass). Underproduction of wood is problematic due to where both types of wood fit in many different production chains.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Copy and paste what you wrote here for the discussion, state that there appears to be no drive for the building of logging camps when they appear to be needed in the brief description. Give them your last backup and the one just previous to that one. They should have enough with that, or so I should think; but who am I...right? I mean the lack of wood for the production of glass should be a real problem with pop happiness and loyalty in the world of Victoria.

Don't delete that game in case they ask for more info. I'm not crazy about their save game structure after seeing the one Stellaris uses, so you should create a folder and copy those folders to a safe place if you create a new game. Just my suggestions. Hang on to them for at least a week. No one should ask you to save them longer.

Reactions:
you might be interested in this mod, which attempts to rebalance resource distribution based on total yield in the real world during the period:

I haven’t tried it myself, so I don’t know whether it will fix (or maybe even compound) the issues of reaching the resource caps, but it might give some peace of mind to know that the resource deposits are based on realistic numbers