• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh yes he did deserve it. Basically I waited for this moment the first time I wrote about him. But amusing? That's not the way I had described him. With one word I'd say asshole. But that's my own describtion I had in mind. If you think otherwise of him I failed again to do an evil person. Yeah, it's hard to describe someone as evil if you don't believe in terms as good or evil (like I do). First time I failed with Bertrand, who turned out to be my favourite character when I wanted him to be the bad guy. :wacko:

As to your comment to part VIII, thanks. I thought I had to include something lighter, and I always enjoyed to make jokes like these (with the main input being HoI2 as I played it at this time, yeah, you probably guessed that already. :D)

I think I'll go on. I see no reason to stop the story itself and should be able to get the save this weekend. If not, well, I think I'll go on without save and make all up from my mind as I did whole Chapter V.

So, I said I'd post which sentences I really liked.

The first one is Richwara's answer to why the guards hadn't mentioned her. First I had in mind 'one cannot see what is not there, one cannot here what makes no sound.' Although this would have made more sense, she is there. And she basically is a shadow. What I like about it is that it describes her better than anything I posted about her before.

The second is the one with the guards. It was one of these that strike you when you think about the story. I sat there and thought to myself, they can't have been that quiet. They must have been heard. How will I tell that? And then it struck me. This was not the first woman in his chambers, and the guards would know him well enough after so many years. Also, Charles does not know why Haldor really runs into his rooms. As he sleeps next door he'll probably hear them and make his own thoughts. Yeah, it's really that easy and I thought hard about it for around an hour.

The third is the last sentence. I love this one. Maybe it's just my wicked sense of justice, but I wanted to kill him off this way all the time. He, the man that has killed so many women, dies from the hands of a woman.

Oh no, you definitely got the evil part across. I meant amusing in an "interesting to read about by virtue of sinister designs" sort of way.Those were all good sentences, keep up the good work.

Oh good, it worked once! I feared he'd come too nice. Well, I would have corrected this in one of the next parts (let's just say he'll still play some kind of role in the next chapter). I think I'll do the interlude tomorrow so I can start the next chapter with next week.

Again an edit to not spoil the later post: Ok, it's pretty long for an interlude. As I promised the crows (ok, this time it's a raven) are back. We'll certainly see them more often in the future, at least in the interludes. I don't think I have to add much, just remember this plays in 1175. And it seems like I could get my save! Sounds good, doesn't it?

Last edited:
Interlude

Richwara looked out of the window from her room. It was late summer, the sun shining into the room made her hair look like fabres of gold. Out on the inner courtyard of Gevaudan stood Bertrand and Louis. They both had drawn their test swords and Bertrand trained his 'son'. They both seemed happy, although exhausted.
"Now come Louis, don't tell me that's all you can do. If you want to get a good warrior you have to be faster." Louis was strong, especially for his ten years, but he was sometimes too careless. He fought like a lion, but he wouldn't really manage to block an attack. Some kind of misgiving ran over her back, like a cold breeze of death. She would lose them both. Soon. Too soon.
"I know you could be the best warrior in our world, would you only train more. You already are good, but for greatness, talent is too less. When I was at your age, I already was second in Toulouse. I had none to care for me, only myself. I want that you have a better chance than me, but you have to work hard for this yourself as well. I won't be able to lead you through your life forever."
"Yes father." The boy looked down. Richwara somehow felt compassion with him. Bertrand sometimes was just too stern. She would have to talk with him about that. But not now.
"I know you could be better than me. You could be everything you want."

"Yes, even Marshal of the German army in a crusade aged eleven." The bitterness in her own thoughts surprised herself. This was so many years ago and still she wouldn't forgive Bertrand for this. He had trained his son to be a warrior and as that he died. She had been happy at this moment, in this wonderful summer in Savoy. Like never afterwards. Winter came, and with it came death. And since then she was alone. Yes, she sill had other kids, but they couldn't make up for her loss.

And now she was running away. All she ever loved had died. And she was left behind, hunt. Richwara looked up. The sun had raised since they left Speyer. Now the horse had fallen from the former gallop into a slower trot. She looked at the maiden next to her. She had stopped riding. They both still wore the black mourning from the last evening. There had been no time to change clothes. It would be easy to see them, wouldn't there be this dense. One nearly couldn't see ones own hand. The maiden was nearly not there anymore and from more than ten metres they wouldn't exist. At least the mist had some use.

The fat woman let out a sigh.
"Would you please tell me again, milady, why are were going here?"
"We just aren't save in the Empire anymore, now that Almerich is dead."
"Save from what?"
"Don't be naive, Berta. We both know the house von Chiemgau has enough enemies within the Empire."
"Yes, Almerich managed to do that very well."
"And to defeat them."
"Still, who of them would like to kill you?"
"Who would not?"
"Because of what?"
"I am a murderer and you know it."
"De Barres? Nobody cries for him anymore. Hell, nobody did when he died. They won't do now, years afterwards." Richwara kept silent for some minutes. Caught in her own thoughts. "If he had been the only one." She responded with a sigh. Her hands weren't clean of blood anymore. Nobody's hands would stay clean in her position.

They rode on. The only sound was the constant breath and the sound of hooves hitting the street. "And now we have to go to Denmark?"
"We have rather good relations with the Danes. And where else should we go?"
"Back home? To Graz? We would be save there."
"Graz isn't the city it used to be when we left."
"But Ludwig is still Archbishop, isn't he?"
"That's the problem."
"Isn't he Almerich's son?"
"Yes. He is a von Chiemgau. But he is also a man of the Church." Ludwig was a really difficult character for Richwara. It was easy to read in others, but not in him. She just wasn't sure where he stood. Earlier she had thought he was nothing more than puppet. But he had his own agenda. That much was clear. He somehow managed to change from the puppet to the puppeteer and back. After her thoughts she added. "I would consider him as my worst enemy."
"Isn't the inquisition your worst enemy?" In the ten years of Almerich's reign quite a lot of monks were missed. This of course didn't happen unnoticed by the Church. It soon became obvious Almerich wasn't the Pope's best friend and one reason for the crusade had been Almerich's wish to show his goodwill towards the Church, to not get excommunicated, a constant danger he had to face.
Richwara smirked. "Ludwig is the inquisition." That said she went on.

Time passed. It seemed endless. Now that the sun stood high on the November sky, there was no difference between the hours anymore. Richwara again was caught in her memories when a scream ripped her out of them. A common raven flew up to them. Instinctivly she put forth her hand. The raven landed on her underarm. Berta gasped out of surprise.
"It's ok. He's a friend."
"You know that beast?"
"Of course. He is my own little spy." Richwara smiled. "They're coming?" She turned to the raven.
"Hraah." The sound was strange, but Richwara understood it as a yes.
"Where are they now?"
"Hraatss"
"Good."
"What has he said?"
"They're coming."
"Who?"
"My enemy's enemy is my friend."

Last edited:
Ravens, as promised. A nice, low-key interlude after the drama in Part X. Good update.

Low-key? Low-key?! Hey, that was one of the hardest updates to write so far! Mostly because I had to get it all in order though. Nah, honestly those interludes are pretty fun to write. And Richwara deserved her update for once.

And thanks for reading and commenting as often as you do, it's the comments that keep this AAR alive. I could get my save today, so we can go on as usual from tomorrow. Well, doesn't mean that much but that I don't have to make up the names from the list. (That's what I did with some characters like Berta or the Monk in an earlier update).

Edit: Again concerning my thoughts, both about the interlude and the next part I'll edit this rather than posting another one about it. I think I could have spared that Almerich died when I said they wore a black mourning and came from the Dome to Speyer, but I wouldn't asume all my readers (that means if there are more than just Jimbo) know that most German Emperors were buried in Speyer. I wouldn't know it from any other state I think, thus I included that Almerich died.

As to the next part, it actually should have been Part II of Chapter V, instead it is the start of a new Chapter. It doesn't make all too much difference though as you'll see they're only loosly bound together.

And one question, am I writing too much? Would you like it more if I would restrict myself to write only one update all two days? Would you post more comments then (sometimes I just feel lost and it seems nobody cares. Believe me, that's not really all too good to write on)?

Last edited:
Chapter VI

Part I

Somehow this was strange. After more than fourty years I came home. Back to a place I once had hated. And now I had tears in my eyes. I never had thought I had any feelings at all to this place after all the years, but I was proved wrong by myself, and I loved me for it.

I became an urgent desire to kiss the ground, but abolished the idea once I looked closer and saw the horse excrements lying there. All had this familiar feeling, even if I didn't know most of the people, yes, couldn't even know them. And although Gevaudan was not very different from any other city in southern France, it had it's one kind of magic I could not possibly describe.

My companion disappeared once again when we arrived the market place. Not that I had not expected it by then. Somehow he seemed to have abillities I couldn't even dream about. From one moment to another he was gone, and I had not the feeling he would still be somewhere on the market place. Although all this 'powers', as I would have called it then, he didn't want to stay and come up to the castle as I wanted to. Well then, once again my journey took a different direction than his.

I made my way up to the castle, passing by at the local millitary barracks. The recrutes were a shame. They fought like bloody beginners, even the elder one. I could see that from only a few seconds viewing them. That would be a good amount of hard work. Good for me, I was searching for exactly that.

So I went to the castle I had left so many years ago. I had been a young man then nearly a boy still, now I was old and nearly dead. But I wouldn't let my cynical thoughts spoil this feeling. Not again.

"Mother, this man wants to talk to you." I actually wondered the Duke himself opened the doors, but this simple gesture brought him my simpathy. Maybe he knew that, but I guess not.
"Thank you, Matéu." She seemed surprised by seeing me.
"Tiborg d'Auvergne." I bowed and kissed her hand. "It's been long since we met the last time. And the time seems only to have increased your beauty."
"You were a bootlicker then and you seem to be now as well, Bertrand." Although the words may sound harsh she said it with a smile. I always found this woman sympathic, from the first time on I saw her when she was thirteen years, and I still do. I think she likes me as well.
"Oh come, may I not tell the truth?"
"You may... So why have you come? To get what is rightfully yours? To get Savoy?" The smile vanished of her face.
"Only over my dead corpse." Matéu drew his sword. I did so too. With only one fast move I could disarm him and put the blade away again.
"No. I come to die in my home. I already have been away for too long. At least the rest of my life I should stay here."
"And you really think I believe you Bertrand?" It again was Tiborg who spoke. Matéu wisely kept in the background. He still stood under his mother's wings. Sometimes I wonder if this wouldn't be the best for many others too.
"Oh come, can't you trust a harmless old man?"
"You might be old, but you definatly aren't harmless."
"It seems not only your beauty has increased. But still, why do you think should I want this lands? For who? My kids? Have they more right to rule than your son? Honestly, I wouldn't take the crown, and if you threw it after me." She smiled and kissed my cheek.
"Welcome home, old man."

Days passed by. I was appointed Marshal and had not really much free time, but still I had written a letter to Almerich that he should send my wife and kids to me. He had not answered. Something was strange, I fear.
"You wanted us to come, my husband?" Richwara showed her cat-like smil as she saw the surprise on my face. I loved her more than ever. I don't know if I had forgiven her before, but at this moment I truly did. All that had happened, it was the past. And the future shined bright, a future with my beloved wife at the home I thought lost. I took her and kissed her.

And yet, something was different. Something about her... scared me. I couldn't tell absolutly. However, I can now. One thing had always seemed strange to me, but up to this moment I couldn't tell. She just has no real presence. I mean, yes, she is there, but she is more like a shadow. You won't hear her, wouldn't she want you to. You won't see her if she doesn't want you to. And at this moment for the first time I realised what Almerich meant once when he told me "Watch out, Bertrand. Don't trust Richwara all too much. She is more dangerous than the whole Seljuk army." I had smiled then and laughed about it as ridiculous. I wouldn't bet nowadays on who is.

Ermesinde closed the book. It was near sunrise, she could already see that. Although it wasn't even dawn, it was not as dark as it had been before. Her joints knacked as she rose from her seat. It had been long that she sat there like that. She bound her long fire red hair to a knot and brought back the book. It was red and had 'Memoires by Bertrand de Forez' on the cover, although it already was used quite a lot. She wondered when that had been. After all she saw in this room, it had been before her birth.

She took a torch and went out of the small chapell it once had been. Now it was more like a grave. No, it was a grave. She knew that much. She had found Bertrand's grave, as well as Matéu's and Tiborg's. And she probably was the only who knew this place. After all, although near the castle it was rather hard to find. She had found it. It was something like her secret place. And it would stay like this.

She tried to be as quiet as she could as she opened the door to her room. Agata still snored. The elder sister had drunk, she Ermesinde smelled from her bed as she got rid of her clothes. Should she, after all she would be married soon. Maybe too soon.

Death tired Ermesinde fell into her bed. She promised herself one thing. She would never marry and would they force her.

Part II

"Come Mes, wake up." Agata stood upon her bed. Judging from the sun shining through the window next to Agata's face it already was near midday. Ermesinde raised her hand to block the sun from her face and looked up. "I need your help."
"With what?" Her sound of her voice rang harsh in her own ears. She tried to calm down. "Sorry." She murmured as she saw her sister's face. It was easy to insult Agata.
"Oh god, Mes, look at your face."
"What is with it?"
"You haven't slept much lately, have you?" After walking into the bath and washing her face with cold water she understood what her sister meant. Dark rings lay under her eyes, yes, she really hadn't got all to much sleep the last days.

Mainly because of Bertrand's book. It was different from what she ever had read before. Maybe only because Bertrand was not telling tales of glorious honourable knights, but something more real to her. And now she was nearly done. Only one night and she would knew what had happened twenty years ago. Know why the book was censored by the inquisition, yes she knew that much. Why Bertrand had died and how. She went back into their sleeping room to her sister.

"Now what is it?" This time her voice was soft. She always had had a problematic tempter at some times, something that caused far too often trouble to her than it would be good for anyone. Her mother often enough said she was all like her father, although she had hated this since she could think of. They say two great personalities in one family have to fight sometimes, but it already became persistent.

"You know I will be married in a few days."

"To some count in Carcasonne, I know." For some strange reason Agata really seemed happy about her marriage. Ermesinde saw no reason why she would do so though. Well, her sister never had been all too interested in something else than children and beautiful clothes.

"It is my duty. And yours. Now help me to find a fitting wedding dress. The trailors already have come. Mother promised the cost wouldn't be important." That was true. Ermesinde's father always had been rich enough to afford anything for his children. Where all this money came from? She wouldn't dare to ask.

"Of course."

"And please sleep more the next days. I don't want you to look ugly on my wedding."

"I promise it." What that all a woman was allowed to have interest in? Her own beauty and children she might bear sometime in the future? And the bitter answer, yes.

-----------------

"Come kids and learn about diplomacy." Joan de Forez, Ermesinde's father, had soon realised that even women had to know this. Except for that he thought of women little more than of animals. For him they were just a way to achieve his goals. Then again, anything was for him just a way to achieve his goals.

"You do realise this marriage is mainly because of political reasons. That is most unfortunate, but it's the way the world goes." He didn't seem unhappy about it at all.

"If you look on this map" he pointed on the huge piece of pergament on his desk. One of Gevaudan's biggest bulls had died for it. "You will see the Kingdom of Burgundy. As you can see we are surrounded by the French in the north and west and by the Germans and Genoese in the east. However, many of these southern French consider us more as their allies and friends than the Capets in Paris. Our relations towards them are warm. This also is the reason for this marriage. We need to expand our possessions in France while we keep good relations towards our neighbours, most important the Duchy of Toulouse." He smiled. A servant came up to the group, except for Ermesinde and Agata their elder brothers Gerardo and Rogier Raimond had taken place around their father.

"Milord, the French ambassador is here. Shall I let him in?"
"Yes, I want to hear what Renaud's regents have to say."
"Do you really expect to hear something new father? Don't you think they'll say what they did last year? Or two years before? Or three? They don't even manage to change their speeches." It was the first time Ermesinde spoke up and surprisingly to herself she agreed with her father. As much as she was in disagreement with him over nearly everything, they both hated the French.

"No I don't. But if we don't we'll insult them and I can't afford a war right now."
"But can they?" Gerardo's question kept in the room for some seconds until he went on "Renaud is nothing more than a puppet. A child King. And at war with the Germans! You don't expect him to do anything, do you?"

"It is better we prepare for a case of emergency, but as long as I can prevent a war I will do so." It was not like her father would have cared for the peasantry that would have to suffer under a war, but just that he was sure to achieve his goals easier the diplomatic way.

The ambassador went up into a room and looked at the family like on vermin. Fast he went up to Joan and looked into the Kings eyes. Although the de Forez sure was taller than the man he seemed to grow with every minute. Proudly he started to speak.

"I come in the name of my lord the King of France, Renaud Capet, to give you a last chance. I came here before and asked you to agree on our terms. You know them, but should you have forgot I will tell them a second time. You, Joan de Forez, usurper of the throne of Burgundy, give up your title King of Burgundy, a title you have not won by the will of the people, but by force, and the King of France may show mercy and let you live as his vassal, as count of these lands. Should you disagree..."

"A most humble suggestion. But the humblest proposal may seem ridiculous if it is a mouse that makes it to a lion. You may remember, seven years ago it was the Savoian flag that hung in Paris. It was me who stormed your walls and took the city. And I showed mercy to your King, to Guy Capet and let him live. It was his hand that signed a contract that would make the Kingdom of Burgundy mine and of my family. Should you break this contract..."

"You should not forget, Joan de Forez, how you came to this Duchy. It was by the will of Guy Capet that you were appointed Duke. After the execution of the heretic and his companions we agreed on making you Duke, should you promise to be a loyal vassal to the crown. A promise you have broken."

"Broken? When? I promised to be loyal to the crown of Burgundy, and I keep this promise. Should I throw down your Capets to stay loyal to my land, so be it."

"And yet, it was the King of France who appointed you Duke, and you betrayed him when he was in need."

"The King of France? Where was the King of France when they burnt the heretic? When my forces took this castle? Even the Pope's men helped me, but you, you stayed up north and wouldn't dare to send more than your demon."

"The Pope always has been a friend of the King. Without the signature of Guy Capet, none of these men of the Pope had helped you. And the Pope will fight on our side now as well."

"You think so? You know, the times have changed. And nowadays even you should know my relations towards the Holy Father are by far better than that of the boy, not to talk about his excommunicated father."

"We know what role you played within this."

"And I admit it. I proposed it. But you know the reason. He wasn't bearable for Christianity anymore. He allied with the heathens just to get lands in Iberia. He bought it from them. I think we all can agree this is enough to throw him out of the Church, whose name he has befouled."

"This is my last proposal. Give up Burgundy and you will stay alive. But we will hang you like the traitor you are should you disagree."

"Then send your men. I won against you seven years ago when you were strong. Now? Now you have only a child on the throne and fight enough enemies without me. Come if you want, but you will only find death. I will be prepared!"

"Gerardo, I need your help." The King went up to his son after the French had left. Ermesinde had kept near enough and listened to their conversation unnoticed. "I know about your special abilities. Yes, I know you will marry soon, but still I need you to go to Aquitaine. Should you convince them..." he paused for a moment "I don't care how..." again he waited for Gerardo to nod "to be on our side should the French really bring war..."
"We would win the war then, I know about the strength of the house d'Aquitaine father." He agreed.
"Can I trust you?"
"Of course."
"And this is no lie?"
"Of course not."

Ermesinde caught her brother as he went away.
"You are a liar, Gerardo. You always were"
"Who is not?"

-------------------------------------

The double marriage took place only a few days later. While Agata married the future count of Carcasonne her brother Gerardo married the sister of the Duke of Toulouse. Both were only political marriages, but both should end rather happy.

Ermesinde didn't have time to read in these days. It was problematic enough to keep up with all preparations, both for the marriages but also for war, as her father wanted her to know about diplomacy as much as possible. Not rarely he heard him mumble "Oh would you have been born as a boy." And always she wanted to answer "Who cares father? Is it that important as what we are born? Shouldn't we rather judge a person by his deeds?" But she never did. She knew her father wouldn't allow this heretic thoughts, as he called them, to be spoken loudly in his house.

--------------------

Don't ask me where I'm going. I just don't know yet.

Yes, gameplay wise I declared war on France when their armies were away and took their cities. That was because they had claimed Burgundy as some count in Helvetia got their vassal. After that the only way to inherit Burgundy would have been to inherit all of France and then create France again and that was out of question.

I had Ermesinde's character in my head for quite some time, even before I knew her name and found it rather funny to have the game give her traits I had chosen for her.

Another point is Gerardo. Gameplay wise he is Bishop of somewhere in Ireland while his brother, who is Scholarly Theologian, married the sister of the Duke of Toulouse. But I already thought about editing the game to have it the way it would make sense IMHO.

I think about giving him another main role, even if by far not related to Ermesinde, so something like a second POV we sometimes see. He truly is an interesting character for me and it's tempting to tell his life as well.

And now I see I have written a mass concerning my thoughts to a when I promised my readers (if there are some :rolleyes: ) to write not as much again. Meh, whatever, it will be easier to write the next part for me anyway. And it should be not that long. Yeah, like last time. Or the time before. I seem to be a lost case...

I like the new chapter so far. I think Gerardo's role should be enlarged, he has potential, and more POVs are always useful. Looking forward to the next update, even if you're not sure where it's coming from yet.

Part III

Days had passed since Gerardo had left Gevaudan together with his squire and good friend Jaque. Their mission in Aquitaine had been a success. Maybe a bit too much of it. Jaque rode on to his friend and smiled.

"Only a few days. Then you'll be a married man." Gerardo smiled.

"Unfortunatly."

"What is it?" He waited for an answer, but Gerardo remained silent. "Oh, I know." He smiled. "You love her. Happens to all of us once in a while. You'll get over it."

"And what if not?"

"Then you have a problem my friend. You know, we can only do our job when we are not bound to any feelings. Only a free man can do what we do."

"I know."

"Then better don't lay yourself in chains. In some years you'll regret it."

"I-I can't."

"Oh that hit you. It's not like you like her a bit or so... I see."

"And now I ride home to my own marriage from the woman I love."

"You can't convince your father? After all she's a d'Aquitaine."

"You don't know my father. He doesn't like it if others destroy his plans. He currently tries to get a higher influence in southern France, especially Toulouse. And this will screw up everything."

"And? You still have a brother. He could marry the girl and you'll get your own. Problem solved."

"The monk? I don't think he even thought about such a possibility."

"You mean he is?"

"I don't know. And I really don't want to."

"Then what are you going to do?"

"Maybe I can hide it?"

"Don't even dare to think that Gerardo. A man like you should know there is no way to hide such feelings. As you know, if a fire burns, you can hide the light under a shadow, but you can't prevent the people from feeling the heat."

"Then I'm doomed."

"Don't think that. We'll find a way for you to get your Esc... Escl..." He stumbled over the name.

"Esclarmonda" Gerardo smiled.

-----------------

A week earlier in the hall of Gevaudan stand Joan and his eldest son.

"You know what I really love about them?" The King turned to one of the hunting dogs and stroked the fur. "Loyalty. I don't like when others betray me. You know what happens then." Gerardo nodded. Yes he did. He still heard the screams of this one woman. One of his mothers servants. She had come to his mother and claimed Joan had sired her child. The same day she had hung in front of the castle walls.

"You really do? Aren't their abilities worth more? That they can run, hunt your food?"

"And what does it help me if the dog is the best hunter but doesn't follow my instructions? No, Gerardo, the loyalty, that's what counts. Loyalty into the death. Everything else is second rate."

This was mainly about dogs and hunting, in which the two, although being both passioned hunters, couldn't differ more. While Gerardo rather waited for his prey to come to him to hit as fast as possible, his father was more a deputy of coursing. But Gerardo understood the second, the subtle meaning in his fathers words. Should he do something against his fathers will, he would hang, just like the servant.

-------------------------

As you said Gerardo's role should be enlarged I thought a bit about him. And of course I wasn't aware from where the update was coming from, I first thought about a completly different update, which probably will be part four, but I had no other way to include him here.

I still don't know completly what his goals are and why he's doing what he will do, but he starts to live more and more in my thoughts. I personally always think that it's hardest to create a character. As soon as he's done he'll do the writing for you and you know how he'd react. The best example for me would be the dialogue between Bertrand and Almerich in Acre in Chapter IV. There it was like I could hear Bertrand's answers in my ear.

So we'll see how Gerardo will develop over time, but as he is now he's not that easy for me. But he has potential, that is correct. At least this update was short. ;)

Thanks for commenting, and thanks to all lurkers for reading. :)

The flashback at the ejd- Hmm. My keyboard is definitely- oh ok, it stopped. It had for some reason decided that n=j. I must have typed 'end' five times before I gave up. Random aside, I know. Anyway- the flashback served as a nice bit of foreshadowing, looking forward to the next part.

Part IV

So let'em come! Shall they think what they want, we'll stand where we are and not turn and beg them for peace. Ermesinde stumbled over the handwriting. The earlier pages had been rather easy to read if you had acclimated with Bertrand's style to write the letters, but the last had been a true mess. It obviously had been written in a hurry, as the added sheets of paper would Not only that she had a hard time to actually decipher the words, she also had to read the mass of footnotes. The next part was actually added on a different date, to her surprise easier to read and not that rushed.

You wonder why I can write this now with more pace? You'll not wonder, they caught us. After months of siege they took Gevaudan. Cursed be Joan, this snake! He first played our ally as he should as vassal and then betrayed us and opened the gates to the French. He's not worthy the name de Forez. He not and his breed neither!

But he'll not be Duke for long. Currently he hopes for the French as friends, but the King will let him fall as soon as he is not of use for him anymore. Serves him right. He called us heretics and they want to burn us. Now we get burned for telling the truth. If critique on the crusade would really harm them as much they should maybe think about the idea of a crusade. Until now all were massacres. And really, where in the Bible is written done 'one shall massacre those who do not believe in ones cause, one shall burn those who do not agree' ? Nowhere to my knowledge.

As if this would be the real reason. In fact they just fear us. Now that they have me, as Almerich's ally, in Savoy, they fear I could destroy their plans. Both the Church and the King of France wouldn't want Savoy to stand on the German side. Now they come to replace us. And Almerich can do nothing.

I exchanged letters with him. He can't do anything about that. The Churhc has threatened him with excommunication hould he interfere. And I understand he won't do this. His cause, to ressurect the Empire, is more important than a few people. It's not that I'm scared though. I am an old man. I just feel sorry for Tiborg and her son. They're both still so young.

And Richwara. I called for her and the kids, and now they have to fear for their lives. Well, had to. I could persuade Almerich to call them on his court. If they kill a few Frenchmen, what possibly could he say. But his cousin? He has a strength in these points, maybe even more than the Church and the French together have.

But let me tell you what happened first. De Barres, this bastard, sent his men to us. First they told us we could live in peace somewhere in a monastery should we agree on their terms. But I won't lie about what I said. And I won't destroy my books. I still have honour. Tiborg stand behind me there. We won't bow down to anyone, and if it is the King of France, who hasn't even spoken about this yet. We can't clearly know what his position is.

So after de Barres sent his men to put the city under siege, we called all men living around Gevaudan to help us, and they gladly agreed. They still remembered that it was the Duchess of Savoy who attacked the Seljuks and struck them when they could pass French lands unhindered. They still remembered how Tiborg lowered the taxes on the lower classes. And they heard our call.

The next months were not easy for us, but we could have went on forever. There was no possible way to hinder our men from coming and going, and from supplying us with food and water. Of course de Barres tried, but he was not gladly seen in the villages. They knew what they say about him, and they tried to throw them out where they could. After a while de Barres had to get his food from Toulouse to hold his men in place.

Then the winter hit them. Haldor now really wanted to negotiate. Not that we would agree on his terms. And we all knew it was a trap. Matéu hit him with a stone. May the wound build a scar on his face! I asked him to do it all in a fair duell, but de Barres always had been a coward. He can fight as the devil himself, but he knows I'm still the better warrior, even at my age. So this ended in nothing.

Later he sent a messenger to us. We talked to him, but the terms were mad. Actually we three had to admit being heretics in order to save the city population. I beheaded the man and we used the parts of his body as projectiles. I told the man, who obviously spoke German in this language to not excess it even more, after all children were around us, "„Mich ergeben! Auf Gnad und Ungnad! Mit wem redet Ihr! Bin ich ein Räuber! Sag deinem Marshall: Vor Ihre Königliche Majestät hab ich, wie immer, schuldigen Respekt. Er aber, sag's ihm, er kann mich im Arsch lecken!“

The writing ended here. But Ermesinde knew what had happened in the end. Her father had betrayed the Duke and opened the gates for the French army, who slaughtered around one half of the city's population. She knew from other resources that a big part of the population had died, but nobody ever had told her how. Now she knew. Bertrand had burned as heretic.

As she raised she saw her father standing in front of her.

"What are you doing here?" His low bass growled like thunder. "Have I allowed you to come here? On you're sisters wedding day?"

"No you haven't and I have not asked you."

"You dare to speak back too? How far have you gone with the heretic's book?"

"I finished it."

"And now you believe the heretic's lies?"

"I believed yours all my life."

"That's it, give me the book." He took it, grabbed a torch and burned it. "I hope this was the last of his lies."

"What lies father? That you betrayed them to get Duke? That you betrayed the French later? No father, you just don't want to admit the truth. Why are you so afraid of the truth?"

"Stop it." He hit her with his strong right arm and threw her done. She felt blood rinning from the back of her head while she smelled the iron taste of her own blood in her mouth. "I should never have told you how to read."

"Then how should I have served your plans? Shouldn't I learn how to betray others to serve your plans?"

"It's enough if you are married to one of my allies. I'll see about that tomorrow. I think I can find someone willing to marry you. After all even in the north they praise your beauty. Maybe they'll find it a bit controverse to marry you at this age as you're still one year under the usual age, but I think we can look over that. And now go to your room."

Unwilling she left the chapell. "Not if I can speak a word about it."

-------------------------------

Ok, it was harder to write this part than I had expected it to be. As you see we now know a bit more about how Bertrand died and a bit more about Joan's character.

I actually wanted it to be even longer, but ended it to have a cliffhanger. Yeah, I'm cruel. :D

And as I said de Barres had another appearance. I don't think we'll get rid off him as fast, as he'll have another one somewhere in this story.

I don't know what I possibly should say about this except for what I did. Maybe I paint Joan's character a bit too bad for what he is in game, but he was the first I really was cruel to my neighbours and expanded through war.

Thanks to Jimbo my loyal reader to keep me writing. I think Gerardo will get another part for himself tomorrow to let you hang a bit more and as I would have to change the timeline otherwise.

Last edited:
A cruel and treacherous de Forez..well I just can hardly believe that..scheming characters are good for the plot, have no fear. Nice update, I'm sure we'll survive the cliffhanger- it wouldn't be any fun if you gave us everything at once.

Of course we can, after all, what has Alberic been? Or Guillaume? Oh well, I guess there are no good de Forez left. But yeah, scheming characters really are good for the plot, just, I'd need a plot right now. :wacko: Nah, I'm just joking, of course I have a plot. It just develops over the time.

And as you might have seen in my signature I have started another AAR. Know Your Enemy. I don't know yet, but de Forez will still be my number one in updating. Well, I guess we'll see how it develops. Edit: So much to being number one. Crap, I think I should get back to this and update...

Last edited:
Part V

"Well then take me if you want!" The girl shouted the most dramatical way she could as she threw her clothes away and fell on her bed. Gerardo wouldn't listen. He kept looking into the fire as he sat on his bed. "What is it my husband? Shouldn't this be our night? Shouldn't you do something else there?"

"I-I just don't know." He felt like a liar saying this. He knew damn well what the problem was. And she was just too nice to lie to her. "I must admit, I love someone else. I fear I'll be of no use for you this night. It's just as she was watching me."

"Then we have the same problem." She grinned and waited for him to answer, but he only kept listening to the cracking sound of burning wood. "I think we can find an agreement." She went on after some time. "Maybe, if you give me free to do what I want, I will do the same to you. How does that sound? Go to your love and tell her you are a free man. Maybe even more than any other, because nobody can force you to get married, you already are. In exchange I am free to do what I want."

"I couldn't say no to this proposal, could I?" He felt not like he could. Although he asked himself why exactly she had made this proposal, he knew he had no right to ask. He just had to be happy she had let him go.

--------------------

A few days later he again was in Aquitaine. He could convince his father to send him on this diplomatic mission and although he really tried to do his best in convincing the Duke to be of help, the main reason was a different.

"And you think I would believe that? Gerardo de Forez, you are a better liar than that." Even in anger she was the most beautiful being he ever had known. Maybe even more.

"But this is the truth. It was her idea."

"Do you really think I would be that stupid? I love you, Gerardo. But I can't trust you. You just lied too often. I can't believe I wanted to marry you!"

"Well then, I leave you. I have tried to convince you of the truth. If you can't trust me there is no reason I stay here." He left to the stables without one further look. He didn't know if the Duke knew he would, but he guessed so.

It is the liars curse that nobody believes him when he speaks the truth. Gerardo passed the border and looked back a last time on Aquitaine. The land of his luck, it had become the land of his curse. And of one promise. If I can't get her, nobody will. She will be mine. And so will this land.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You wanted it, Jimbo, well you get it. I hope it is worth the wait. But I'll try to get more updates soon. I still have something in mind for it, and I won't end it before I'm finished with these ideas.

Ah Gerardo, cursed. His wife seems interesting- and very manipulative. I wonder who it was precisely she wanted to be free for. Looking forward to more when you can, and thanks for the update.