• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part six: Five million Soviets on the wall…

nTQcMzh.png

We decide on a limited attack toward Smolensk, designed to surround about twenty Soviet divisions. Paratroopers are loaded and prepared to fly ahead of the main advance to secure provinces before the enemy can retreat into them, and the airforce is concentrated into this region – every plane I have is flying missions over this sector.

29ipjCs.png

By September 19th, we have secured a kessel around Gomel, but the northern part of the advance is stalled by a huge stack of Russians in Polotsk. Even if we out-fight this stack they will just retreat, so we alter the plan. Our mobile troops advance further north out of Roslavl, and our paratroopers drop ahead of the line. We will create a new encirclement, this time around Polotsk, and destroy the stack. This will be the only major action for the rest of 1941, because I need to spend time upgrading and reinforcing units, and I have no intention of launching any further attacks in the Russian winter.

5qomZOi.jpg

A young German sentry watching for signs of enemy activity near Gomel, 1941 (colorised)

29ipjCs.png

arT6bjB.png

9IEfToQ.png

6H8q0UL.png

Progress through to 20th October

By the 8th October, we have closed the kessel, and now all that remains is to destroy the trapped forces – something in the region of fifty divisions, in all. By the 18th the Gomel pocket is captured, and the Dagavpils region remains the only area of concern. We see during an air raid that 42 divisions are present as of the 20th October.

tjIF5bD.png

A corps of 50,000 men surrenders on the 29th, but the bulk of the enemy fight on for another two weeks, before the pocket is finally reduced on the 10th November, 1941. A triumph of diplomacy! We're so diplomatic, in fact, that we even let the Hungarians take the credit (and the casualties)!

NKNpCAu.png

I wonder where we’re going to put all these captured POWs. Germany must be pretty crowded by now!

A look at the casualty reports for the year tells us a fairly good story – some six million Soviets dead, wounded or captured, and over three thousand tanks wrecked. I start to feel some optimism about the situation on this front, but I’m aware that I still have to play very carefully to achieve a diplomatic settlement. We halt almost all production and focus on reinforcement and upgrades.

We order ‘HALT’ to all offensive operations except for the attack on Leningrad and Narva, and tell the men to dig in. Put a scarf on, too, it’ll be nippy out there!

halt-hammerzeit.jpg

Less of that silliness, Gefreiter! Those are jodhpurs, not hammer-pants!

We strategically redeploy, moving most of my mobile divisions to the northern portion of Heeresgruppe Koenigsberg, preparing a drive toward Novgorod, and potentially an encirclement between Novgorod and Arkhangelsk, which would free up Heeresgruppe Scandinavien to assist an attack on Moskau.

YPLfjZN.png

The land bridges between Finland and Russia are now held purely by infantry divisions, many of which are from our puppets. In the Soviets made a concerted effort here, I don’t think we could stop them outside of Finland itself.

Two other small bits of news; we finally get fed up of Hjalmar whining and let him go fishing. Albert Speer takes his place as Armaments Minister, and there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth for some reason. Apparently, success on the Ostfront doesn’t cheer up the home front one jot, but a small political manuever in the Department fur Bean-kontrolle und Rot-tape leads to outrage!

YsfYlKy.png

I don’t know why people don’t like him. Maybe he should try a moustache.

Oh, and one other thing – Hjalmar left us this funny-looking building in Opava. Werner Heisenberg gets very animated about it all.

7eXze9B.png

I don’t get the appeal myself. Maybe he likes the big chimneys?

IsddBmZ.png

(According to Wikipedia, IRL Barbarossa achieved almost five million casualties at the cost of one million for the Germans. Technically I’ve done better, but I’ve had more time, and I’ve taken less land. Leningrad is a big win though, since that’s a major port and industrial centre.)

Excellent developments in Belarus and the Baltics. Those divisions were an important catch.

Japan has lost over 3 million men? How bogged down in China can you get?

I don't really play the 1933 scenario, so maybe it is that, but you seem to have a lot more difficulties than I normally have. Ot is it just the fact that you focussed a lot more on the airforce than I usually do?

I don't really play the 1933 scenario, so maybe it is that, but you seem to have a lot more difficulties than I normally have. Ot is it just the fact that you focussed a lot more on the airforce than I usually do?

It's a combination of factors - I used a lot of early IC on the airforce, the submarines, and the forts along the french border. The consensus seems to be that building IC is usually less efficient than building divisions, but I don't like mobilising early as it effects the economy. Paratroopers, and their planes, are also very expensive - for the same time and IC you can probably build about four times as many infantry divisions as I have paratroopers, which is enough to make a big difference.

I'm also running at a higher dissent because I like releasing vassals - I still contend that the improvements (less partisan activity draining TC, fewer partisan armies, more IC/blueprints/manpower for vassals using their own cores) outweigh the disadvantages (less IC/manpower/resources for me, dissent on releasing factions, have to keep an eye and make sure they aren't being invaded). I suspect the AI uses the three extra years to build up more forces than they can from the 1936 scenario, and because they aren't worried about dissent and releasing puppets and nuclear bombs and such, they can outproduce me. This is why the doctrine of strategic haste is so important - if you wait until you feel ready, the AI will crush you. Strike early, strike hard, strike often!

I've got an oral exam in a few days and then some deadlines coming up, so I might not write up the next post until the end of this week, but it's coming! I'll leave you with this teaser for the title of the next chapter:

THE SIXTY DAYS

Last edited:
Disaster - last night my computer developed a fault and I've had to use system restore to try and fix it. I'm writing on the other machine at the minute, but if the restore eats the save for this game then I'll have to finish with an epilogue. Given that my dissertation is on that machine I am not a happy camper!

I'll let you know how it goes.

I've been able to rescue the screenshots, but I don't think Darkest Hour has cloud saves, so until I reinstall it I have to assume the saves are gone. I'll write up the chapter I have, and then we'll see where we go from there.

Sorry to hear that.

Part Seven: Fall Nordlicht

(Does anyone wonder why the Germans couldn’t decide whether they call military operations Fall or Unternehmen?)

You rejoin us on the 1st February, at the start of Fall Nordlicht. The weather is still cold, but I am satisfied that our forces have been suitably reinforced that we can achieve success, and that’s all I’m after – a good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan next week.

qJGfhTo.png

Heeresgruppe Koenigsberg-Scandinavien will drive north through Novgorod, and south through Vyazma, aiming to meet in Cherepovets and surround the enemy around the Tikhvin-Kingisepp axis.

LQePr90.png

Heeregruppe Polen will attack at several points along the line to tie down Soviet forces – attacking in multiple spots is vital to achieving encirclements in Darkest Hour, whether it’s at a local level when you’re trying to stop the enemy reinforcing a province, or at a strategic level where you’re attempting a grand offensive action. We aren’t concerned about achieving success here, as long as we hold down enemy soldiers.

BOdNuS3.png

Heeresgruppe Sud will attack to force the enemy off Kivroy Rog and back over the river, while we also attempt to encircle the foe in Kremenchug as the opportunity to achieve a small kessel has presented itself.

The key concern here is that we want to achieve victory in the north, because that will clear the field for us to attack Moscow – therefore, every division we can tie down in the south will help us, even if they counter-attack and force us to retreat. The provinces down there don’t mean anything, and I’m perfectly happy to retreat two or three provinces deep if we can encircle that juicy northern pocket. One thing worth mentioning is that the Soviets have so far used almost no tank divisions. They have used a few brigades attached to infantry, but as a rule they seem averse to deploying full armoured divisions, which is one of the reasons we’ve had so much success; against massed armour the only real defence is massed armour of your own, or infantry with AA and AT brigades attached (both of these provide Hard Attack, and are cheaper than SP-AT. I’m not sold on using ART brigades, since they slow down infantry).

kVv2PNr.png

The Soviets have already made a mistake – by deploying an airforce at an exposed airfield, they offer us the chance to walk in. Whenever your land troops (including paras!) land in a province which has air divisions based there, the air divisions will be destroyed. If the game modelled capturing enemy air divisions properly by letting us use their airforce, we would probably outnumber the soviets three-to-one in the air by now! As you can see in this shot, the Soviets have left two airforces in adjacent provinces, putting them at enormous risk!

Never, ever, ever put airforces on the front line or in provinces with a revolt risk without a guard division – losing planes to partisans can ruin your whole campaign!

In the north, we’ve achieved the encirclement, with the assistance of some paratroopers, and now it’s going to be a question of engaging the soldiers in that kessel and destroying them while avoiding any escapees.

YulXcjM.png

As you can see, Kingisepp is about to fall, with about twenty divisions trapped inside.

ocUD21T.png

By the 26th, we’ve eliminated the pocket, and I shift my objective – that big stack in Solnechogorsk has to be surrounded and destroyed, and most of the Soviet’s northern front will be gone. We redeploy the paratroopers so that we can use them again, and launch another attack in the central sector to distract the soviets.

5tfnfjg.png

This attack was launched before the 26th, but the plan remains the same – attack in centre, surround in north.

By March 23rd, we’ve swung around the north of the soviet line, and there’s nothing in the north to seriously threaten our flank. Von Manstein and his six motorised divisions are driving into the countryside to create a large buffer between the frontline and Moscow, which is now the hinge of our northern line. There is already one kessel after we enveloped a soviet counterattack from a motorised corps, but the big stack in Solnechogorsk remains uncaptured.

A6c1Ma8.png

This shot shows just how badly the soviets are faring – they’re holding in the south, but those attacks aren’t important, because up north they simply cannot hold us back, and there are gaps in their lines everywhere. At this point, all that remains is to deliver a coup de grace, and the chief factor in the speed of our advance isn’t the enemy but the crappy infrastructure of Russia. I make a mental note to tell Speer to start playing with model railways to help us work out how we’re going to make Russia more efficient after our conquest is complete.

pRk7b6J.png

We have completely surrounded Moscow, and there is nowhere for Stalin and his moustache to go. In Tver, there are over forty divisions trapped, and the only rescue effort made is a small attack towards Kinry, held by the Spanish. It’s simple enough to shift a few divisions there to fill in the gap they leave after they are forced to retreat.

ZlOPMe3.png

Even in this screenshot, we can see our enormous material superiority over the Russians; while we are striking with elite, advanced Panzers, they have men riding ponies and silly moustaches. Our moustaches are much more efficient!

6lUjwvx.png

I think you get the idea.

Our last screenshots will be a look at the casualty screen and the rest of the world. Japan has made a right hash of the Chinese war, and has actually lost the Sakhalin islands to the USA, somehow.

7pDUc81.png

I think we made the right decision not to ally with these guys…

After twelve months or so of war against the Soviets, they have lost a touch over eight million men dead, wounded or captured, in exchange for just over two million of our own in all the wars we’ve fought, ably supported by our friends in Scandinavia, England, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria. Even with our enormous superiority in tanks, we’ve lost fewer than the Soviets have in this campaign.

Because I’ve lost the save I can’t play this to the conclusion, but the strategic situation at the end of April 13th, 1942 is absolutely rosy. Because England fell in 1940, the USA will never declare war on us, instead choosing to steal Japanese islands according to some mad whim that I can’t work out, while the whole of Europe is providing us with IC, manpower, and puppets to fuel our advance. The Soviet northern front is totally smashed beyond recovery, Moscow is about to fall, and there is no way they can stop us swinging south from Moscow and wrapping up their whole line. They only option they would have is to retreat, and because Russia gets wider the further east you go, their problem of not having enough men to cover the line will only ever get worse. Under these circumstances, I am prepared to declare victory for the Fatherland!

So, what lessons can we learn from this game?

1. Strategic haste is vital as Germany. You have to knock out the UK early, or else they will build and build, with assistance from the USA, and you will never be able to take the islands after 1942, leaving you to rely on the nuclear approach, which I suspect the USA will always beat you to. The USA will join the war in 1942 if the Brits are still resisting, and you can not win a war of attrition against a power with 700 IC. On a similar note, the Soviets can not be allowed to build up. You have to declare war and begin destroying their forces ASAP, because the longer the game goes the more in their favour the balance of power will shift.

2. Puppets are the best use of occupied territory. Without the Scandinavian, Hungarian, Spanish, Bulgarian and Romanian divisions I never could have achieved my plans, particularly in the north. While the dissent hit will hurt, releasing powerful puppets with large IC like Scandinavia (when including Finland) will allow you to receive large quantities of support troops that you could not produce on our own – and better yet, your troops stationed in their provinces will use their IC for reinforcement and upgrades, not to mention transport capacity, taking the stress off your economy. You can’t use their provinces to full effect, so why not release these nations, and get more bang for your Reichsmark?

3. Paratroopers are absolutely filthy. The ability of paratroopers to help you in completing encirclements is vital in Russia, and we’ve already discussed the use of paratroopers to conquer Britain by capturing ports. While the initial IC investment in divisions and planes is painful, if you start early you can have a seriously powerful tool in your military box when they’re ready for war.

4. Submarines are also filthy. They’re dirt-cheap, relatively quick to build, and they can sink anything that gets near them. The Royal Navy was so afraid of them that they never even left port – that’s how powerful they are. In a stand-up fight, a stack of thirty submarines from the 1937 techs onwards will sink anything they come up against.

5. Concentrate your mobile strength! If you place your armoured divisions at lots of points in the line, you might achieve a breakthrough but you will be unable to sustain an advance, as the infantry slowly plod along. The doctrine I favour is as follows:
- Start an attack with infantry in a single province, or at two provinces where you plan to meet behind the enemy.
- Once you know you are achieving victory, throw the mobile corps in. Use shift-click to pre-plan an advance across several provinces so you aren’t waiting for the delay after finishing a fight before you can order a new advance.
- Leave something (ideally infantry) in the provinces you take so you can’t be isolated and surrounded.

I hope you’ve been able to learn something from this campaign – thank you very much for reading, and let me know how your own conquests go! I’d love to see some screenshots from people trying a similar strategy!

Yours sincerely,

James Beil (GROFAZ)

Nice campaign to follow

Any plans for a follow up AAR or something else on this game or another on this forum?

I've not had much luck trying Stellaris AAR's recently, including losing the game twice and then having my computer go bang, so I might leave that few a few months!

I'm not really as familiar with any of the other games as I am with Darkest Hour, and it's been an age since I played any non-Axis nations. If there's anything you'd like to see in a similar style I'm happy to give it a go though - I'm about to graduate from university and I'll have much more time *and money* on my hands!

I've not had much luck trying Stellaris AAR's recently, including losing the game twice and then having my computer go bang, so I might leave that few a few months!

I'm not really as familiar with any of the other games as I am with Darkest Hour, and it's been an age since I played any non-Axis nations. If there's anything you'd like to see in a similar style I'm happy to give it a go though - I'm about to graduate from university and I'll have much more time *and money* on my hands!

Maybe a KR Germany game?

Which difficulty did you have? I play on normal and just finished the Fall Gelb and the french have always at least 3x of the troops in my scenario. Even Netherlands have at least 5 divisions on the border provinces not 3.

Which difficulty did you have? I play on normal and just finished the Fall Gelb and the french have always at least 3x of the troops in my scenario. Even Netherlands have at least 5 divisions on the border provinces not 3.

I've been playing on Normal. The AI can have some strange priorities in construction, which might explain why I had relatively lower numbers facing off against me. How many allied divisions do you have? The Hungarians can be absolutely vital to a successful Fall Gelb either by holding the Siegfried line or helping your drive through the Low Countries.