• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, I bought through Steam. It says it's updating to patch 1.04 or something, then says it can't run because of a "disk read error". So I can't play at all.

eta: So I followed your instructions for Steam and downloaded the patch through a mirror. Which is silly if you're actually partnered with Steam, but whatever. It still doesn't work, now giving a registry error.

If I try to launch through Steam, it starts like everything is ok. Then just fails in the background.

I also tried to revert to 1.03 like suggested and update from there. No joy. Now I just get a disk read error again. I hate steam, but it isn't usually this hard even for them.

Last edited:
Will I have to delete my saved games?

Also, game worked fine before. So saying it's an installation issue doesn't really help. I'm confused on the disk read error as well. Patch shouldn't have fixed that. Steam has poor support, but they're lots bigger than you guys. I just want the game to work like it did a few days ago. Sigh.

Last edited:
I don't understand. Savegames are not compatible, a new game start is required.
"disk error read" is not something we've heard before, so the only possible explanation I can think of is a problem in the installation of the patch. But you need the 1.04 final patch, not the 1.04 RC1. That's why I recommend uninstalling, as I'm not sure what could the effects of what you've done.

Well, I fixed it in Steam. They have an option called "Verify integrity of game files", I ran that. It said invalid game files, downloaded about 1.5megs of files, and was good to go. You are correct, most of my save games won't work, but he current one does. I remembered that I did a system restore sometimes in the last week. Maybe that screwed it up, or confused Steam, I don't know. Thanks for your help.

So this post of mine might sound pretty stupid but I have to ask cause I is confuzzled.

For us to patch to patch 1.04 RC, do we have to manually change it or what.
Cause its not in my Steam Beta tab, or stuff cause it updates to 1.04 and I want to run Kaiserriech.

So this post of mine might sound pretty stupid but I have to ask cause I is confuzzled.

For us to patch to patch 1.04 RC, do we have to manually change it or what.
Cause its not in my Steam Beta tab, or stuff cause it updates to 1.04 and I want to run Kaiserriech.
KR uses 1.04 final so no need for Beta Patches or anything. Just install KR Hotfix.

Ok, thank you for the reply, now wheres do I find the hotfix? (I have not touched DH in a few years or KR for about the same amount of time, and I am hopelessly lost!)

I have DH from Gamersgate and cannot seem to find a 1.4 or 1.5 or 1.5hot patch that is downloadable. Clicking on the links under
all these leads me in a circular trip thru the same pages. Any help?

I have DH from Gamersgate and cannot seem to find a 1.4 or 1.5 or 1.5hot patch that is downloadable. Clicking on the links under
all these leads me in a circular trip thru the same pages. Any help?
You can download patch 1.5 from one of two mirrors in the first post here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/darkest-hour-patch-1-05.1058633/
Then you can download the 1.5.1 hotfix (works only if 1.5 is installed) attached to the first post here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...st-hour-patch-1-05-1-hot-fix-release.1069718/