• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

X-Factor

Baron of Kosice
48 Badges
Mar 15, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Knights of Honor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Hello Devs,

I just wanted to point out something I noticed long time ago but never have time to post a comment. Danube River is quite off compare to reality.
I think this is an easy fix but not sure if you want to fix it.

Here's few screens:

vxVpNnB.jpg

I will focus on Slovakia/Hungary region as It's place where I live (have knowledge) and also inaccuracy there is decent.
As you can see Danube river flows through 2 Major Cities. Bratislava (Presporok) and Budapest and also smaller town called Esztergom.
If you check the CK2 map below you can see that river is actually not going through Provinces it should go. It's flowing outside both Provinces: Esztergom and Pest which is inaccurate.

WkogR9R.jpg

On another screen I tried to mark how it should flow. I'm trying to be as accurate as possible. Not sure if I'm off or not but I did few overlaing in Photoshop and this is the result. I have also marked few Major town in Slovakia / Moravia region because few provinces / names are off too.

oXMCvUb.jpg

Discrepancies:
- Province Pest is completly off
- Town Kosice shopuld be in Abauj Province so Abauj province is bit off too (If my overlay is accurate enough)
- Zvolen is a town not far away from Nitra. So not sure what is Province called Zvolen doing in current eastern part of slovakia (Spis and Saris region).
- Province Spis is actually outside the Slovakia

I'm not sure why this is how it is because map in Victoria 2 is accurate and also map in EU4 is pretty accurate.

Do you plan to rectify those discrepancies in future patches?
We can also debate on province names or redesigning the province borders. Not sure if you plan to fix those so I'm just asking. It will be fine to have more accurate map.

Thank you.

Reactions:
I've been trying to make PDS notice this for quite a long time, and I think they finally have, but we will see.

Yes, please, they should just redesign that whole area. This is what the Kingdom of Hungary looked like (in 1180):
Europe_mediterranean_1190_cropped.jpg

And this is it in game:
latest

It's really bad. When they messed with the map when RoI came out, they really should have fixed this.

Reactions:
Hungary/Croatia/Romania/Austria/North Italy were kept relatively intact since CK1. Hungary still has the same round shape as it did in the 1st game (11 years ago!!!) with most provinces looking exactly the same as they do in the current version.

tT6xkI2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
Well, from the first dev diary last week, it sounds like we might be getting an "Art of War" style map revamp. How extensive it would be is up to question but maybe Hungary will get some much needed love.

This discussion has been going on for a long, long time, with the last thread being a few months ago but hopefully they'll finally take note of it. They need to have a look at Eastern Europe as a whole IMO (Russia is such a mess as well that I'm not even sure where to begin).

I can't remember exactly what the last discussion was about, but I think Crackdtoothgrin's map was involved. Honestly they use so much of his work as it is, they should probably just take a look at using this as well.

Well, from the first dev diary last week, it sounds like we might be getting an "Art of War" style map revamp. How extensive it would be is up to question but maybe Hungary will get some much needed love.

Could I ask where you got that impression? I must have missed something but this is certainly something I would love to see as well.

Reactions:
Before they implemented these huge, Norse-exclusive passable rivers, the shape of Danube river was actually accurate (just like a lot of other things on the map). I have been repeatedly calling out to at least correct the shape of the river...unfortunately nothing ever changed.

Provinces have remained almost same throughout the map, however, so I cannot say anything about them. Any change in provinces has been around these huge giant rivers. Most are same, and European provinces have been nearly unchanged from CK1.

I think if they do something about Danube, they can also make Nile passable. I wondered why they didn't make it passable in the first place - it is a river where even large ships have sailed since bronze age.

Reactions:
I will volunteer my voice to give this thread some mass.

EU IV got a map overhaul 2 expansions ago and one year after release. We had a map that was mostly unchanged since the EU 2 provinces got split in the making of CK 1. Way to go CK2 staff! While RoI did fix the absolutely atrocious Caucasian region still did nothing for areas like Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia and Greece, places whose borders are absolutely horrendous. Surprisingly enough this is even worse that CK 1 since at least that game went for a cartographic look for their map. CK 2 map looks so much worse because at the same time it goes for a realistic look. This here is a sad tidbit of the main problem of this game right now which is the devs' lack of interest. There is so many small things they could and can do but for some reason they won't. It took me a weekend to modify the map Danube(long ago) and that was just because I was pissed about not getting historical borders when playing my home country. This stuff has been done countless times before by modders and I'm still wondering why Paradox isn't solving this big yet simple map problem.

Reactions:
EU IV got a map overhaul 2 expansions ago and one year after release. We had a map that was mostly unchanged since the EU 2 provinces got split in the making of CK 1. Way to go CK2 staff! While RoI did fix the absolutely atrocious Caucasian region still did nothing for areas like Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia and Greece, places whose borders are absolutely horrendous. Surprisingly enough this is even worse that CK 1 since at least that game went for a cartographic look for their map. CK 2 map looks so much worse because at the same time it goes for a realistic look. This here is a sad tidbit of the main problem of this game right now which is the devs' lack of interest. There is so many small things they could and can do but for some reason they won't. It took me a weekend to modify the map Danube(long ago) and that was just because I was pissed about not getting historical borders when playing my home country. This stuff has been done countless times before by modders and I'm still wondering why Paradox isn't solving this big yet simple map problem.

Wiz's sig tells you all you need to know.

What gameplay benefits do you see happening if they do change the river? Not like they are used in trade or anything. Just access for raiders. So I gotta ask, whats the point of making the change? If the only reason is you dont like looking at an off course river then the effort really isnt worth it.

Reactions:
What gameplay benefits do you see happening if they do change the river? Not like they are used in trade or anything. Just access for raiders. So I gotta ask, whats the point of making the change? If the only reason is you dont like looking at an off course river then the effort really isnt worth it.

Yeah it's worth it, it's absolutely hideous and jarring. If it was off a few pixels here and there, then yeah cry me a river (get it?). Considering it's so off that it changes the way county, and COUNTRY, borders look, it should probably be tweaked.

Reactions:

Aesthetics and realism in map are reasons enough.

Reactions:
Aesthetics and realism in map are reasons enough.

Reason enough for us to complain? Sure. Reason enough to Paradox for them to do anything about it? Doubtful. Consider that when HoI3 (or was it HoI2?) was released, and people pointed out that Stalingrad was in the wrong place, Paradox's response was basically, "Shut up and live with it. We ain't fixin' it".

Reason enough for us to complain? Sure. Reason enough to Paradox for them to do anything about it? Doubtful. Consider that when HoI3 (or was it HoI2?) was released, and people pointed out that Stalingrad was in the wrong place, Paradox's response was basically, "Shut up and live with it. We ain't fixin' it".

That was also when they basically had 1 dev team in total though. Things are a little different now, because they actually have employees.

That was different. Somehow Paradox managed to screw so bad when it came to the HoI3 map that fixing it would be easier if they made a whole new map. Everything was wrong. From projection to location of cities. This is different. A Paradox dev could probably fix this in an hour. Hell, I think I could do that if I had the experience and tools and really put my mind to it. When I did it, most of the time was spent browsing the forums and wiki to find out how one does it.