• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Explody Smurf

Private
43 Badges
Nov 29, 2009
  • For the Motherland
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Iron Cross
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • East India Company
  • Deus Vult
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • 200k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Imperator: Rome
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Victoria 2
  • Starvoid
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Magicka
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • King Arthur II
  • Impire
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion 2
I just reinstalled Windows 7, and EIC worked correctly with this version in the past. It works fine if I just install it on its own. However, once I install the Designer's Cut, it says that "C:\Windows\System32\d3dx9_42.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error". I've tried deleting the file and re-running the DirectX installers for February 2010 and August 2009, adding the program to the list of programs excluded by DEP, and completely uninstalled and reinstalled it. I've never seen this error before. Has anyone else?

Hi, sorry to hear you've had problems.
Are other games running fine on your computer? If not, then there must be still some problem with the DirectX installation. August 2009 is the right version for Designer's Cut. Which graphics card do you have and have you installed the latest drivers for that?

Hi, sorry to hear you've had problems.
Are other games running fine on your computer? If not, then there must be still some problem with the DirectX installation. August 2009 is the right version for Designer's Cut. Which graphics card do you have and have you installed the latest drivers for that?

I haven't noticed any similar problems with any other games I've tried so far. I am using an ATI Radeon 4850 by HIS, and I'm using Catalyst 10.2. I've also tried reinstalling the drivers, deleting the d3dx9_42.dll, reinstalling DirectX again, and reinstalling the game, and the same thing happens.

I just reinstalled Windows 7, and EIC worked correctly with this version in the past. It works fine if I just install it on its own. However, once I install the Designer's Cut, it says that "C:\Windows\System32\d3dx9_42.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error". I've tried deleting the file and re-running the DirectX installers for February 2010 and August 2009, adding the program to the list of programs excluded by DEP, and completely uninstalled and reinstalled it. I've never seen this error before. Has anyone else?
I faced with similar problem. For windows 64 bit this file should be placed into Windows/sysWoW64 folder. This path C:\Windows\System32\d3dx9_42.dll is for 32 bit system. Download this missing .dll file from http://fix4dll.com/d3dx9_42_dll and palce it to correct folder.