• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lord Raglan

Second Lieutenant
71 Badges
Dec 17, 2008
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • For The Glory
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 200k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
now i have no idea whats possible with this, but something that often seems repeated, is that people like acurate cultures, emphasising on diversity.

ie in low countries you have friesen, dutch, (and one or two more i can't remmeber) - at least depending on who you ask.

now in rome i think you have 'culture bundles', for lack of a better word. So my question is are the cultures going to be very diverse (as i think most would like) and could we have these 'culture bundles' so that lowland scots and highland scots can make an appearance - without the list of cultures being stupidly long

Paradox policy was to avoid culture issueas in World War 2 games. This was a war of ethnic purges, mass deportations and paradox wants to avoid those things. With cultures there would be events representing those issues changing cultures in historical regions. I'm sure the developers will follow this policy and they are right.
So: No - no chance of seeing culture imo.

Unlimited number of cultures in FTG and AGCEEP has many events for culture changes. In EU2, some were included too for obvious reasons: Berber in South Spain to Iberian for example.

Yoda, will there be culture groups? If not possible in the first release, does the development team have it planned for the future?

Paradox policy was to avoid culture issueas in World War 2 games. This was a war of ethnic purges, mass deportations and paradox wants to avoid those things. With cultures there would be events representing those issues changing cultures in historical regions. I'm sure the developers will follow this policy and they are right.

I think you confused this forum with the Arsenal of Democracy one :p

Good thing this isn't a Hearts of Iron game then!

Unlimited number of cultures in FTG and AGCEEP has many events for culture changes. In EU2, some were included too for obvious reasons: Berber in South Spain to Iberian for example.

What I think he's asking about is whether certain cultures that are closely related (i.e., Highland and Lowland Scots) could be in a culture group, so that a country of one of those cultures has fewer penalties owning a culture-group province than a wrong-culture province.

What I think he's asking about is whether certain cultures that are closely related (i.e., Highland and Lowland Scots) could be in a culture group, so that a country of one of those cultures has fewer penalties owning a culture-group province than a wrong-culture province.

this is exactly what i mean, so that in this example you would have highland and lowland scot culture groups, as well as perhaps irish gaelic, they are all fairly close cultures, and the penalties that applies to them should be less than say scotland that owns some spanish proviences. (scotish and spanish are very different)

but the point is that instead of the scotlands interface stateing irish, lowland, highland etc etc, it would only have one of these (ie lowland) and the close cultures wouldn't have the penalties that much more different cultures do

You can see a small question mark next to Swedens Scandinavian culture in the new DD. Maybe this indicates some further information regarding cultures.
Yes, this is for accepted cultures as a tooltip. Only primary culture is displayed by default and it could be a problem to display all accepted cultures on a single line with an unlimited number of cultures...

I've long favored using culture groups, as the differences between, for example Catalan and Castilian culture, while real, is distinctly less significant than, say, Catalan and Khmer. (ducks a few bricks lobbed from Barcelona)

On the other hand, if they are difficult to add to the game engine, it may not be worth it when the concept of Primary vs Accepted cultures is being implemented in FTG.

Also, I know there has always been a camp that wants to give more or less every European province its own culture, and with unlimited culture tags this is now a possibility. However, I don't think it is thereby a good idea. I recognize that it is not an insurmountable barrier to the AI building larger nations within their historical boundaries, as it could be overcome by having a very large number of Accepted cultures, but it would also require a lot of event scripting and it is hard to see what it adds to the game other than complexity.

I've long favored using culture groups, as the differences between, for example Catalan and Castilian culture, while real, is distinctly less significant than, say, Catalan and Khmer. (ducks a few bricks lobbed from Barcelona)

On the other hand, if they are difficult to add to the game engine, it may not be worth it when the concept of Primary vs Accepted cultures is being implemented in FTG.

Also, I know there has always been a camp that wants to give more or less every European province its own culture, and with unlimited culture tags this is now a possibility. However, I don't think it is thereby a good idea. I recognize that it is not an insurmountable barrier to the AI building larger nations within their historical boundaries, as it could be overcome by having a very large number of Accepted cultures, but it would also require a lot of event scripting and it is hard to see what it adds to the game other than complexity.

IMO cultures should have a higher % on non supply be it whatever to the owning nation. historically the stronger culture always got the best of the best , it still happens today.

Take castille and catalan and basque........we all know even when the formation of Spain, catalan and basque merchants where not allowed to go to the americas as well as not allowed to attend the serville auction houses..until 1717. Should even an acceptance of a minor culture give the host culture/state full benefit ?? or should they get only 75%, while unaccepted culture to give only 50%

Culture groups like EU 3 had would be cool, it would mean like cosmopolitane, and norman are both in the culture group of french. Bavarian is in the culture group of German. you get less penalties if you are a german culture group.
Actually, it could be even better if the culture groups wouldn't have to be exclusive, ie: Silesian could be both in German and West Slavic (or Polish and Czech) culture groups, etc...

point is people dont remember it, nobody is alive from the eu2/ftg time spawn. Hoi2/aod time spawn there are still people alive so out of respect they are giving it a few more decades before implementing such things in a game.

Anyways I think the eu3 way of representing cultures was one of the good aspects it had, similar cultures wouldnt give such penalty as completly different cultures therefor allowing people to see as many cultures as they want