• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You should direct that question to Paradox.

Or you might want to check out CPR Plus (not compatible with 2.4.1 yet), which has an overhauled version of Slavic faces. They look much better than the original IMO.

Actually Vanilla CK2 has the west slavs using the western faces...

Just my opinion that the slavic (east/west) should both be using the stock western.gfx faces, with eastslavic.gfx clothes... (perhaps with the west slavs using western.gfx helmets too).

I just feel that it is a bit more realistic... and thats how I have mine modded to anyway.

Actually Vanilla CK2 has the west slavs using the western faces...

Just my opinion that the slavic (east/west) should both be using the stock western.gfx faces, with eastslavic.gfx clothes... (perhaps with the west slavs using western.gfx helmets too).

I just feel that it is a bit more realistic... and thats how I have mine modded to anyway.
You may be right, but recall that in your original post you were referring to Slavs without being specific, which, given the bad rep Russian portrait pack came to receive, makes your post read like yet another complaint about the Russian portrait pack (the portrait pack often being referred to as "the Slavic portrait"). Even now, reading your original post back, I can't imagine myself interpreting your post any other way with much confidence without reading your second post.

But enough with that. Regarding your suggestion, I would say yes and no. We are aiming for balanced variety, so an outright removal of any asset, no matter how bad that is, goes against that policy. We do our best, though, within the confines of what Paradox permits regarding the use of DLC material in publicly available mod: for example, we can't modify DLC graphics and include them in a mod that is publicly available for download. CPR works around that by limiting download links to those who have proven their ownership of appropriate DLCs, and Better Looking Garbs is doing so via an encrypted installation file.
Still, given the recent increase in the number of European portrait packs, Western faces have become less numerous than before, so I would say that swapping the Western Slavic face with the Western face is a possibility. I want you to understand, though, that there will be at least some people who will disagree with at least some of the features we add. The Russian portrait pack assets were predictably the most contentious one: I've seen someone who remarked that the Russian portrait pack faces look too "Ugric," while there was someone else who wrote that they look too "Russian" to be given to the Finno-Ugric cultures. Because of cases like this, we just go for balanced variety, hoping that our choices will meet the expectations of the greatest common denominator.

And so, at the end of the day, personal modding is the way to go. I mean, being the co-developer of CPR and CPR Plus, I make a few changes myself on my machine, so what can I say? :D

Reactions:
Just for clarification you meant to say that CPR Plus requires proof of DLC ownership right?
Yes, although we're looking at the possibility of potentially merging the two and shipping them with the HIP installer, which already checks for required DLCs automatically (albeit it is rarely known to unnecessarily block CPR users because it couldn't find the user's active game folder). This idea is pending approval from HIP's mod sponsor, Veld.

Reactions:
Yes, although we're looking at the possibility of potentially merging the two and shipping them with the HIP installer, which already checks for required DLCs automatically (albeit it is rarely known to unnecessarily block CPR users because it couldn't find the user's active game folder). This idea is pending approval from HIP's mod sponsor, Veld.

It'll be much better mate...;)

You may be right, but recall that in your original post you were referring to Slavs without being specific, which, given the bad rep Russian portrait pack came to receive, makes your post read like yet another complaint about the Russian portrait pack (the portrait pack often being referred to as "the Slavic portrait"). Even now, reading your original post back, I can't imagine myself interpreting your post any other way with much confidence without reading your second post.

But enough with that. Regarding your suggestion, I would say yes and no. We are aiming for balanced variety, so an outright removal of any asset, no matter how bad that is, goes against that policy. We do our best, though, within the confines of what Paradox permits regarding the use of DLC material in publicly available mod: for example, we can't modify DLC graphics and include them in a mod that is publicly available for download. CPR works around that by limiting download links to those who have proven their ownership of appropriate DLCs, and Better Looking Garbs is doing so via an encrypted installation file.
Still, given the recent increase in the number of European portrait packs, Western faces have become less numerous than before, so I would say that swapping the Western Slavic face with the Western face is a possibility. I want you to understand, though, that there will be at least some people who will disagree with at least some of the features we add. The Russian portrait pack assets were predictably the most contentious one: I've seen someone who remarked that the Russian portrait pack faces look too "Ugric," while there was someone else who wrote that they look too "Russian" to be given to the Finno-Ugric cultures. Because of cases like this, we just go for balanced variety, hoping that our choices will meet the expectations of the greatest common denominator.

And so, at the end of the day, personal modding is the way to go. I mean, being the co-developer of CPR and CPR Plus, I make a few changes myself on my machine, so what can I say? :D

I'm just sharing my 2 cents worth... This is a pretty kick-ass mod overall and that was one of the very few things I'd change. Again, I have personally modded mine to the way I have preferred.

I'd agree that you guys should keep the Russian pack in... there is a lot of cool clothing that it adds. (personally) I'd just ditch the "russian" faces for western ones (at least for the western slavs) but keep the clothing it adds. As you have noted, more European face packs have made it so maybe it could be done eventually. In my games with the west/east slavic cultures having western faces, I don't feel like they are everywhere in the map.

If you are at all interested, here is the link to the article I was referring to (it refers to the study about Ancient Slavic phenotypical characteristics):
http://www.theapricity.com/snpa/chapter-VI7.htm (note how if states that the western slavic remains resemble the "Hannover" germanic series)

Reactions:
I'm just sharing my 2 cents worth... This is a pretty kick-ass mod overall and that was one of the very few things I'd change. Again, I have personally modded mine to the way I have preferred.

I'd agree that you guys should keep the Russian pack in... there is a lot of cool clothing that it adds. (personally) I'd just ditch the "russian" faces for western ones (at least for the western slavs) but keep the clothing it adds. As you have noted, more European face packs have made it so maybe it could be done eventually. In my games with the west/east slavic cultures having western faces, I don't feel like they are everywhere in the map.

If you are at all interested, here is the link to the article I was referring to (it refers to the study about Ancient Slavic phenotypical characteristics):
http://www.theapricity.com/snpa/chapter-VI7.htm (note how if states that the western slavic remains resemble the "Hannover" germanic series)

Oh lawd another Russian facepack conversation. *shudders :p
At least you know how to tweak things to your needs. There is always commiegfx for you to switch out to.

Reactions:
is there a way to make this compatible with CK2plus? while waiting for main mod to be updated :p
You'll have to modify 00_cultures.txt at the very least, although chances are that's probably the only file you'll need to modify unless CK2 Plus does something to graphical culture types. I can provide you with a few heads-up if you are interested in doing it yourself.

You'll have to modify 00_cultures.txt at the very least, although chances are that's probably the only file you'll need to modify unless CK2 Plus does something to graphical culture types. I can provide you with a few heads-up if you are interested in doing it yourself.
ye just need to know which files need editings and i can manage at that point.;)

ye just need to know which files need editings and i can manage at that point.;)
Ok, so I had a cursory look at the CK2 Plus files. Fortunately the mod doesn't do much to character portraits, so you have only two files to worry about: common/cultures/00_cultures.txt and interface/portrait_properties.txt. Modifying the former is a must; the latter is optional, though you will have to choose either CPR's or CK2+'s.

Let me start with portrait_properties.txt first. This file controls when character facial elements, headgear, clothes, and background appear. For true compatibility, you will have to merge changes in both mods'; but that's going to be extremely time-consuming, so you are better off choosing one mod's over the other.

a. If you want to use CK2+'s file, delete interface/portrait_properties.txt and gfx/characters/shared/background.dds from CPR folder - in doing so, you don't get CPR's slightly modified character portrait background set and CPR's slightly modified character portrait element triggers, but you get what CK2+ does to certain portrait elements intact.
b. If you want to use CPR's file, delete interface/portrait_properties.txt from CK2+ folder - in this case, you don't get whatever portrait elements and triggers that CK2+ adds (e.g. blindfold).

I'd recommend option a. because you lose less with that option.

Now the difficult part: 00_cultures.txt. CK2+'s file has new cultures, different name sets for some cultures, and obviously different graphical culture (this controls what portrait set a culture gets) assignments. Basically what you need to do is modify the entries called "graphical_cultures" for each culture and cultural group to fit with CPR's setup.

Copy CK2+'s common/cultures/00_cultures.txt somewhere and compare the file with CPR's 00_cultures.txt. And then modify each "graphical_cultures". The surest way to make sure that CK2+ runs the file properly is to place the resultant CPR-compatible 00_cultures.txt in both CPR and CK2+. Let me know if you need further help.

Reactions:
is there a way to make this compatible with CK2plus? while waiting for main mod to be updated :p
Ok, so I had a cursory look at the CK2 Plus files. Fortunately the mod doesn't do much to character portraits, so you have only two files to worry about: common/cultures/00_cultures.txt and interface/portrait_properties.txt. Modifying the former is a must; the latter is optional, though you will have to choose either CPR's or CK2+'s.

Let me start with portrait_properties.txt first. This file controls when character facial elements, headgear, clothes, and background appear. For true compatibility, you will have to merge changes in both mods'; but that's going to be extremely time-consuming, so you are better off choosing one mod's over the other.

a. If you want to use CK2+'s file, delete interface/portrait_properties.txt and gfx/characters/shared/background.dds from CPR folder - in doing so, you don't get CPR's slightly modified character portrait background set and CPR's slightly modified character portrait element triggers, but you get what CK2+ does to certain portrait elements intact.
b. If you want to use CPR's file, delete interface/portrait_properties.txt from CK2+ folder - in this case, you don't get whatever portrait elements and triggers that CK2+ adds (e.g. blindfold).

I'd recommend option a. because you lose less with that option.

Now the difficult part: 00_cultures.txt. CK2+'s file has new cultures, different name sets for some cultures, and obviously different graphical culture (this controls what portrait set a culture gets) assignments. Basically what you need to do is modify the entries called "graphical_cultures" for each culture and cultural group to fit with CPR's setup.

Copy CK2+'s common/cultures/00_cultures.txt somewhere and compare the file with CPR's 00_cultures.txt. And then modify each "graphical_cultures". The surest way to make sure that CK2+ runs the file properly is to place the resultant CPR-compatible 00_cultures.txt in both CPR and CK2+. Let me know if you need further help.
If you don't want to make the changes yourself, though, I will do excactly what is said here in my submod soon (I asked sifsilver for permission on that).
That'll have to wait untill the next iteration of CPR Flavour+ comes out as well, though.

Welp, just finished and seems like i managed to make it work(took like 30min) id say its more time consuming than actually difficult though(mainly copy/pasting culture gfx names in ck2+ file and the replacement) :D indians and some slavics werent modified much so i could skip most of them to save time
thx for the help ;)

id say its more time consuming than actually difficult though(mainly copy/pasting culture gfx names in ck2+ file and the replacement) :D
Very much the case. :) I'm glad it worked out!

Just tried to install this (as part of HIP, with the HIP installer), and it says I need a "Cuman Portraits" DLC to install. However, I can't find this DLC in the Steam store. Any idea what its referring to?

Just tried to install this (as part of HIP, with the HIP installer), and it says I need a "Cuman Portraits" DLC to install. However, I can't find this DLC in the Steam store. Any idea what its referring to?
The steam item Horse Lords Content Pack presently contains the Cuman Portraits DLC.

When trying to install HIP, at the point to install CPR, it tells me, i need iberian and cuman portraits dlc's, and cannot be installed. But i have both of the dlc's, got them checked at game start. What might be wrong here?

Last edited:
When trying to install HIP, at the point to install CPR, it tells me, i need iberian and cuman portraits dlc's, and cannot be installed. But i have both of the dlc's, got them checked at game start. What might be wrong here?
See if reinstalling them makes any difference (go to go to CK2's Steam properties, DLC tab, and uncheck and then check those DLCs again).

It's most likely that you've got multiple copies of your game folder, and the one that you're using to launch is not the one that Steam would've launched if you'd done so through the Steam interface. The Steam copy needs to have those DLCs, as that's the only copy that the installer can find automatically.

If not that, try the advice of @Ese Khan.

If not that, what OS are you running?