Creating huge overseas Empire vs Overextension

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

dio

Second Lieutenant
3 Badges
Jun 19, 2004
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
Yes, I know that OE is there to avoid taking too much land to soon.
I was wondering if I miss something, as (as France) I don't seem able to expand my Empire to China and India or just America, as OE kills me.
What should I do, just conquer one province each time?

OE from conquest you mean, rather than the non-existent OE from colonising?

Just make sure you never get above 100% OE; the peace deal will show you what you'll be getting. Add that to your current total, and you'll be fine.

Yes, of course I mean from conquering.
Lately I acquired 2 (ok, it's true, they are rich) provinces in China and I suffered 96% OE... Since I have a lot of colonies this is problematic for revolt popping all over.

So,you confirm that there is no other way of taking small amount of provices, and be patient with coring them?

Conquer a province from china that has a core of a nation that you can release, conquesr that province and sell it that province, conquer more provinces from china, sell to your vassal(your vassal wont buy any province if he is overextended, so start with its cores or wait for your vassal to core it before you sell it another).

After yo get that vassal you can conquer the provinces you want that wont take you beyond 100% OE plus one that you will sell to your vassal. After your vassal has become decently sized just diplo-annex him

Unfortunately, there is no easy way out. And if you took two rich provinces from China, you bad boy, you deserve to have soem trouble.

There are a few ways to reduce the length of the troubles. First, fabricate claims to the provinces you take. That shortens the coring period. Second, you could play as the Ottomans, Timurids, Italy, Scotland, Ethiopia, or Dai Viet, who get a 33% to 10% (descending down the list) reduction to coring time. More practically, third, unlock the diplomatic ideas and somewhere there is a 25% reduction to speed.

And your method, miguellima, is gamey. And I bet won't last past the second full patch. :p

The vassal method is almost the only viable way to expand further in late game. And you probably can afford up to 150-200% over-extension for a few years, so feel free to pass the limit if you can reduce it back below 100% in a reasonable amount of time.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way out. And if you took two rich provinces from China, you bad boy, you deserve to have soem trouble.

There are a few ways to reduce the length of the troubles. First, fabricate claims to the provinces you take. That shortens the coring period. Second, you could play as the Ottomans, Timurids, Italy, Scotland, Ethiopia, or Dai Viet, who get a 33% to 10% (descending down the list) reduction to coring time. More practically, third, unlock the diplomatic ideas and somewhere there is a 25% reduction to speed.

And your method, miguellima, is gamey. And I bet won't last past the second full patch. :p

Contrary to what you think, I think releasing vassals is an integral part of the mechanics of the game. The diplomatic relations limit and sell province attitude constrain the extent of vassal feeding that you can do. It still needs some formalization to make people feel legitimate to do it, but it is simply not the gamey stuff like it was in EU3.

Conquer a province from china that has a core of a nation that you can release, conquesr that province and sell it that province, conquer more provinces from china, sell to your vassal(your vassal wont buy any province if he is overextended, so start with its cores or wait for your vassal to core it before you sell it another).

After yo get that vassal you can conquer the provinces you want that wont take you beyond 100% OE plus one that you will sell to your vassal. After your vassal has become decently sized just diplo-annex him

That's pretty cool! Thanks!