• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

I Am Full Truie

Recruit
24 Badges
May 24, 2023
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
Dear technical support team,

I really would like to enjoy the game's new content but my game crashes a lot.

This has started happening since I bought and installed T&T and the lance update.

Symptoms :
90% of the time, the game crashes without a crash rep0rt being generated. Most of the time, it just CTD, sometimes there is a 5 to 10 seconds freeze before it CTD.
35% of the time those crashes happen during an autosave.
5% of the time, it is on loading the 3D rendered world map on the char selection screen / on loading a save
30 % of the time, the game crashes seemingly randomly during gameplay (not after opening a menu or actually doing any active user provoked action)
30 % of the time it crashes after clicking here or there, but I was unable to narrow it down to a pattern, as sometimes a crash will happen after clicking a decision or char, and after a reload the same action will not provoke a crash again.
Most of the time without a being generated.

I was only able to get a crash rep0rt three time, which I have linked to the post. I suspect those are related to a mod - presumably the house traditions one - but I am not entirely sure as the error logs last lines talk about the system not havnig enough memory (as far as RAM is concerned, I have 16 GB of which 12 GB of it is available when no other background apps are running). Could it be VRAM ? Even then, if you take a look at my specs, both my GPU and RAM are plenty enough to run CK3.

90% of the time, this is what I get from the Windows event viewer :
Name of the failed application ck3.exe, version : 1.0.0.0, timestamp : 0x64622bd1
Name of the failed module: ck3.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, timestamp: 0x64622bd1
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Error offset: 0x0000000002dac2a9
ID of the failed process: 0x3160
Start time of the failed application: 0x01d98d96e4e421fb
Path of the failed application: C:\Program Files (x86)\SteamappscommonCrusader Kings III\binck3.exe
Path of the failed module: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings III\binaries\ck3.exe
Rep0rt ID: 329a4c1c-8cda-476d-be4d-8768bb164d76
Full name of the failed package:
Application ID related to the failed package:

Exception code: 0xc0000409
and Error offset: 0x0000000002dac2a9 are ALWAYS the same, ID of the failed process: 0x3160 does change.
You will find attached to my post a zip file of the windows WER rep0rt of one of those crashes.

I have tried, several times :
  • Clean uninstall and reinstall of the game (deleting all content in Documents/ParadoxInteractive/CK 3 folder & anything left in %appdata%, to no avail ;
  • Update of my GPU drivers, as well as a full clean uninstall with driverwiper in safe mode, followed by a reinstall of the latest game ready nvidia drivers, to no avail ;
  • Updated to the latest (dot)NET framework and Microsoft Visual C++ supported versions, to no avail ;
  • Running the game without any mods, to no avail ;
  • Running the game in compatibility mod, to no avail ;
  • Ran a check of my GPU, which ran fine (please find the results attached down below) ;
  • Deactivated Windows Defender altogether, to no avail ;

Attached are the debug, error and game logs of the three crashes were I go a crash rep0rt, but I do insist on the fact the 95% of the crashes don't have one and are only trackable through the windows event viewer.

Anomalies I can't really explain I have noticed :
1 - the game seems to eat an absurdly high amount of RAM compared to the recommended values (up to 10 GB)
2 - having other apps open (RAM intensive like Chrome tabs, Discord, Steam) seems to provoke the crashes on loading a save that will eventually load if only CK 3 is running. This is very strange to me as I can play AoE 4, Total war warhammer III or heavily ENB modded Skyrim without having performance / hardware induced crashes or issues whatsoever, ever.

I honestly doubt my software / hardware is the root cause, but who knows.... Could there be fixes I have ommitted ?
I notice that I am not the only one rep0rting crashes after the last update.

Thanks in advance for your answers

SPECS :
Processor
ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i5-9300HF CPU @ 2.40GHz
Number of Cores8
Speed4.1 GHz
SteppingD
Family06
Model9E
CPU IDBFEBFBFF000906ED
Memory
RAM16 GB
Video Card
Video CardNVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
ChipsetNVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
ManufacturerNvidia
Hardware T&LYes
Total Memory14 GB
Dedicated Memory6.0 GB
Driver Version31.0.15.3179
Vertex Shader Version5.1
Pixel Shader Version5.1
Plug and Play IDVEN_10DE&DEV_1F11&SUBSYS_3FFD17AA&REV_A1
Device1F11
Vendor ID10DE
Operating System
Size64-bit
Operating SystemWindows 10
Version10.0.19041
Locale0809
BIOS
BIOSBHCN45WW
ManufacturerLENOVO

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    108,1 KB · Views: 0
  • DxDiag.txt
    108,1 KB · Views: 0
  • debug.log
    1,2 MB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    19,2 MB · Views: 0
  • game.log
    64 KB · Views: 0
  • debug.log
    344 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    1,1 MB · Views: 0
  • game.log
    64 KB · Views: 0
  • debug.log
    236 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    1,1 MB · Views: 0
  • game.log
    60 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm afraid we cannot help with modded games here at all. Does this also happen in a campaign that's never has any mods used in it, AND was started since 1.9.0.4 came out?

I'm afraid we cannot help with modded games here at all. Does this also happen in a campaign that's never has any mods used in it, AND was started since 1.9.0.4 came out?
Hi, yes it has happened in vanilla as well for campaigns started after 1.9.0.4. I will a run campaigns on max speed in vanilla and let you know, thank you for the answer

Last edited:
So I started a new vanilla campaign as Munster, sped up the game to 5 and went on about normal activities along the way to simulate a normal playthrough. Everything seemed fine ; I alt tabbed and opened one browser tab, went back to the game smoothly, it ran for about another 30-45 secs and crashed. Same symptoms as most of the time : I didn't do anything in game in particular for it to crash, no crash rep0rt, PC didn't seem overoaded at all (I have set pretty low settings for my specs).

Does this happen without alt-tabbing?

If so can I get a new error.log plus system.log and exceptions.log

And your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3/pdx_settings.txt .

Right click on ck3.exe , properties, compatibility. Tick "disable fullScreen optimisations" untick every other box in that dialog, Apply and exit.
Then in the launcher Game Settings menu, select fullScreen display mode, Vsync off, cap refresh rate at 60.

If it still happens then, please attach here an affected save game file, that's never had any mods used in it - I'll see if it happens here too.