Crash - The GPU will not respond to more commands, most likely because of an invalid command passed by the calling application.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rawrafox

Recruit
Sep 3, 2020
On Windows 10 and game version 1.0.3 with a Radeon RX Vega 64 running the 20.8.3 drivers I get this graphics crash as soon as I get in game. I do not have any mods and reproduction is to just start a game, it will crash as soon as you get into the actual game.

Since this seems to be swapchain related, I am running in full-screen at 1440p, with 4x AA and v-sync (the default settings)

[09:37:54][pdx_achievements_steam.cpp:288]: Invalid achievement: mother_of_us_all_achievement
[09:37:58][gfx_dx11_swapchain.cpp:197]: D3D error (D:\jenkins\workspace\titus-steam\cw\clausewitz\pdx_gfx2\DX11\gfx_dx11_swapchain.cpp:197): DeviceRemoveReason returned: The GPU will not respond to more commands, most likely because of an invalid command passed by the calling application.

[09:37:58][gfx_dx11_pixelbuffer.cpp:178]: D3D error (D:\jenkins\workspace\titus-steam\cw\clausewitz\pdx_gfx2\DX11\gfx_dx11_pixelbuffer.cpp:178): hr returned: The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action.

[09:37:58][gfx_dx11_master_context.cpp:442]: Failed creating pixel buffer
[09:37:58][coat_of_arms_graphics.cpp:189]: Invalid colored emblem texture gfx/coat_of_arms/colored_emblems/ce_double_tressure.dds
[09:37:58][gfx_dx11_base_buffer.cpp:62]: D3D error (D:\jenkins\workspace\titus-steam\cw\clausewitz\pdx_gfx2\DX11\gfx_dx11_base_buffer.cpp:62): hr returned: The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action.

[09:37:58][gfx_dx11_master_context.cpp:407]: Failed creating index buffer
[09:37:58][gfx_dx11_master_context.cpp:395]: Failed creating vertex buffer
[09:38:09][gfx_dx11_master_context.cpp:419]: Failed creating constant buffer

Yes, I suggest you revert to the last Recommended driver for that card, May 2020. That optional driver causes problems with at least one of our other games, Surviving Mars.

Yes, I suggest you revert to the last Recommended driver for that card, May 2020. That optional driver causes problems with at least one of our other games, Surviving Mars.
Just ran into the same issue as OP, but on a NVIDIA Geforce 760. Recently (as in, specifically for CKIII) updated to the most recent driver 452.06. Any knowledge about problems there, and recommendations?

You are getting those same GPU errors as te OP, is that right?

DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/CK3/pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox/CK3/logs/ folder, attach system.log , error.log

Reactions:
You are getting those same GPU errors as te OP, is that right?

DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/CK3/pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox/CK3/logs/ folder, attach system.log , error.log

Oh boi, I don't have auto-watch on, so unless quoting me, I'll not notice this kind of indirect mention. Sorry for not responding earlier.

As well, hilariously enough, after updating to 1.2.2, I started a few new runs and are more and more frequently running into crashes. Decided to check the logs, found the error message
[gfx_dx11_swapchain.cpp:209]: D3D error: DeviceRemoveReason returned: The GPU will not respond to more commands, most likely because of an invalid command passed by the calling application.
relating to a CPU crash, googled it... guess where I ended up as first search result :D

So, up to date version of CKIII, recently updated driver (12th December? Cyberpunk, go figure), no mods.

Requested logs attached.

Attachments

• pdx_settings.txt
    3,3 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    862 bytes · Views: 0
  • error.log
    432,1 KB · Views: 0
Requested logs attached.

Aaaaand I completely forgot about that part and skipped straight to the logs. Sorry.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    69,7 KB · Views: 0
First thing is your Windows 10 has not had any major updates for 2 years - and I haven't seen that N edition for a long time! Have you installed the separate media pack for it?

Run the Windows Updater, you should see a new Win10 version to in stall. Do that, reboot, run Updater again, apply, reboot - keep going until there is nothing to install. Boring I know but you have a lot of catching up to do!

And there's a slightly newer nVidia driver now, may as well install that and reboot yet agaiN!

Good luck!

First thing is your Windows 10 has not had any major updates for 2 years - and I haven't seen that N edition for a long time! Have you installed the separate media pack for it?

Yep, noticed that YESTERDAY as well, when I bought and tried to start Death Stranding (which refuses to start on Windows below a certain version). Currently working on resolving that, it appears all Windows updates since April 2018 kept silently failing in the background (despite doing the whole 'your pc is now updating, download for a few hours, forced restart' spiel).

Run the Windows Updater, you should see a new Win10 version to in stall. Do that, reboot, run Updater again, apply, reboot - keep going until there is nothing to install. Boring I know but you have a lot of catching up to do!

Ye, the automatic updater didn't succeed. Currently trying an install via a Media Creator ISO. We'll see how that turns out in a hour or two.

Would be a pretty hilarious conincidence (to me), if THAT was the cause of this specific crash, but you're right that I should iron out the obvious flaws of my system and see whether the error persists.

And there's a slightly newer nVidia driver now, may as well install that and reboot yet agaiN!

Shall do that as well.

Thanks for your assistance :D

Please don't re-open old threads on old game version; start a new one or add to a new one on the same problem. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.