• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(45551)

Recruit
Jun 21, 2005
0002_Misnie.gif

Welcome to Meissen and Thuringia, the domains of the Wettin family.

Power is shared between four men:
Friedrich IV is the Margrave of Meissen, and Wilhelm II, Georg I, and Balthasar I are the Burgraves of Thuringia.

Friedrich, Wilhelm, and Georg are the sons of the late Friedrich III, while Balthasar is Friedrich III's younger brother.

On top of Meissen and Thuringia, the Wettins are also the legitimate* heirs to the Staufen legacy, and have claimed the thrones of Sicily and Jerusalem since Friedrich I nearly a century ago.

*Legitimate as defined by catholic legality. Manfred, whom the Catalans claim descends from was a bastard born from Friedrich II von Staufen's mistress, Bianca Lancia. The Wettins are descended from Friedrich II's eldest daughter Margaret, whom was of legitimate birth.

These claims put Meissen at odds with Sicily, Naples, Cyprus, Hungary, and Anjou, all of which claim to be either King of Jerusalem or of Sicily.

Last edited:
Important characters:

Friedrich IV von Wettin ("The Warlike")
Mkgf. v. Meißen
Male
Born in 1367
Turning adult (Available)

Wilhelm II von Wettin ("The Rich")
Co-Ldgf. v. Thüringen
Male
Born in 1371
Teen-ager (Available)

Georg I von Wettin
Co-Ldgf. v. Thüringen
Male
Born in 1380
Young Child (Available)

Balthasar I von Wettin
Ldgf. v. Thüringen
Male
Born in 1336
Married to Margaret von Hohenzollern of Nürnberg
Children: Anna von Wettin

Wilhelm I von Wettin ("The One-Eyed")
Marschall von Königreich beider Sizilien
Male
Born in 1343
Married to Elisabeth von Luxemburg
Children: None

Anna von Wettin
Female
Born in 1377
Young Child (Available)

Last edited:
Diplomacy

Meissen and Thuringia have a common defense and usually consult eachother before sending diplomats. Both nations have strong relations with HRE states, but bad relations with Sicily, Naples, Cyprus, Hungary, and Anjou for the reasons stated above. They also seek to overthrow the current Dukes of Saxony, although their claim is dubious.

Last edited:
Meissen, Holy Roman Empire.

A man dressed in expensive robes dismounts his horse upon reaching Albrechtsburg Castle. He introduces himself as Nikolaus von Kues, and claims to be the Cardinal of Sicily.

Prætor said:

A man dressed in expensive robes dismounts his horse upon reaching Albrechtsburg Castle. He introduces himself as Nikolaus von Kues, and claims to be the Cardinal of Sicily.
Friedrich's mother, Katharina von Henneberg nodded and the guards let the diplomat pass. Friedrich sat on the throne with his mother standing in front of him, as if protecting her son. She spoke in a tone as if she was the margrave. "So, you are the legendary von Kues? We have heard much of your works. You have been the lone voice of reason in Palermo. For that, we applaud you and thank you. What brings you here to Meißen?"

von Kues smiled.

"Thank you, madam for your kind words."

He pulled out a document.

"Maria of Aragon who sits on the Sicilian throne is to be married within one month to a disgusting virtual peasant of bastard lineage from a miniscule barony granted to him by his aunt's husband. This is very significant because this little bastard has seven uncles and three aunts. He has breeders in his lines, and even if he does not produce an heir, the crown will revert to Aragon, something that cannot be allowed to happen."

He then presented the document to Katharina.

"This is the death warrant for the bastard, Friedrich von Gesualdo. It is signed by the same families which led the Vesper revolt a century ago. With your permission and a few German knights, I will accompany your son Friedrich to Sicily and assist him in claiming his throne. The other Friedrich will be forced to retire or be executed, and your time in exile will be over."

von Kues smiled as he said this. He had grown to hate Queen Maria, the Sicilian tongue, and the Barcelona coat of arms.

Prætor said:

von Kues smiled.

"Thank you, madam for your kind words."

He pulled out a document.

"Maria of Aragon who sits on the Sicilian throne is to be married within one month to a disgusting virtual peasant of bastard lineage from a miniscule barony granted to him by his aunt's husband. This is very significant because this little bastard has seven uncles and three aunts. He has breeders in his lines, and even if he does not produce an heir, the crown will revert to Aragon, something that cannot be allowed to happen."

He then presented the document to Katharina.

"This is the death warrant for the bastard, Friedrich von Gesualdo. It is signed by the same families which led the Vesper revolt a century ago. With your permission and a few German knights, I will accompany your son Friedrich to Sicily and assist him in claiming his throne. The other Friedrich will be forced to retire or be executed, and your time in exile will be over."

von Kues smiled as he said this. He had grown to hate Queen Maria, the Sicilian tongue, and the Barcelona coat of arms.
Katharina was stunned, and so was 15 year old Friedrich, who had already earned the nickname "The Warlike" for his grandiose dreams of conquest and living up to his ancestor Barbarossa's legacy. Before Katharina could answer, the young margrave decided to speak. "Mother, I know you will deny this man and send him home. I beg of you to allow me to go with him. I have dreamed of doing similar ever since I read the exploits of my forebearers. This is an answer from heaven." He pulled his small sword out and threw it to the ground, kneeling on top of it. He then pleaded to his mother. "Herr von Kues, if any other person had asked, I would have said no. However, I know that for a long while you have risked imprisonment for your harsh words against the Sicilian monarchy. My late husband spoke of it at great lengths. Please, ensure that Friedrich meets no harm in this little quest."

Last edited:

After several days of explaining the plans, preparing Friedrich's pedigree and negotiating with the Saxon nobles, it was formalized. Friedrich was to leave for Sicily under von Kues' guardianship.

Before departing, Nikolaus von Kues gave a few brief words for the worried mother.

"The next time you see your son, madam, he will be wearing the crown of a king. A crown his ancestors have coveted for a century. His birthright. He was named Friedrich, his father, his grandfather, even his great grandfather. They were the heirs of Barbarossa and of his grandson, Frederick Roger. Now, your son will let them finally rest."

And with that, Friedrich, von Kues, and some German soldiers left for Sicily.

ck_sici.gif

To His Grace, Friedrich IV von Wettin, Margrave of Meissen;

I hold much contempt for you, those who follow you, and for your invasion of Sicily without provocation. I have been told that you have done this because you felt that my choosing an unpopular candidate for marriage would grant you a strong opportunity to raise dissent from the Sicilian nobility. In that belief you were correct. Federico di Gesualdo d'Altavilla was a terrible choice from a diplomatic and political standpoint.

Your request was my hand in marriage. There are several persons who would be preferred to yourself for the role of my spouse:

Crown Prince Juan of Aragon
Duke Louis of Anjou
Ruprecht Klem (The Younger) of Pfalz

All of which have closer familial ties to Sicily and their own respective followings in court.

Those who would seek a Saxon king are very few in number, outside of the traitors whom have already flocked to your banner.

However, the three suitors I mentioned above are all married, so if I were to look only at unmarried suitors, I would probably look for one of the following:

Prince Jean of Cyprus
Prince Ladislaus of Naples

However, both of those two are children and I could not possibly wait a decade in order to marry one of them.

Therefore, I will give you the opportunity to present an offer in person at Siracusa, near the so-called 'front line'. Should you attack the city, I will cancel this opportunity and look elsewhere for a spouse.

I will arrive in Siracusa this coming Monday, and you will be permitted audience on Tuesday, the day I would have been married had you not forced that event to be postponed. You are to keep your armies at bay and you shall not advance any further into my lands, or else I will seek to remove every trace of you and your followers from this island.

This is not your first opportunity to make your case, but your only one.

By her own hand,

Maria I d'Aragon

By the grace of God, Queen of Sicily

bohe4ja.png
hung8tb.png

Unto all of House of Wettin.​

We, Vaclav IV, hereby invite you to royal wedding between John of Luxembourg duke of Görtz and Mária Angevin Queen of Hungary.

This wedding will take place on 1st Saturday of May in Esztergom basilica. We hope that you will accept our invitation to celebrate this joyous and wonderful occasion of uniting two young people together in holy institution of marriage. Godspeed.

Signed

Vaclav IV, Dei gratia Romanorum imperator semper augustus et Bohemia
Rex.

OOC: thursday, hungarian court.