• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(226974)

Sergeant
1 Badges
Sep 14, 2010
  • Arsenal of Democracy
Hi, I'm playing my first CORE game. AoD 1.04 with CORE 0.4.9 + B&W graphics pack.

First off, WOW! I can see why once people play CORE they seldom go back to vanilla. I'm especially happy with the individual ships and the enhanced tech and event trees.

However, I have a few questions (bugs?).

First, I can't seem to get advanced sliders enabled, even though the checkbox for them is there. AoD 1.04 was my first exposure to Hearts of Iron, and I didn't understand why people were raving about the (to me) buggy advanced sliders. Now... I want my advanced sliders back! Are they not enabled in 0.4.9, and if so please tell me they will be in 0.5!

Second, is the US manpower at start as intended? Despite rushing agricultural and recovery techs and slider moves to Hawk Lobby in late 1937 my manpower is at a net of 0.12 a day, 0 manpower remaining, and over 50 needed to complete reinforcing my troops, much less building anything new!

Third, I started researching the 1938 economic recovery, then the 1937 recession hit and the tech was blocked (red border and all), but my tech team kept working. They finished the tech and it turned green and I got the benefits. I'm not objecting to this, but it seems like it might be a bug to be allowed to continue research on a blocked tech...?

Fourth, the US seems to be missing some 30 submarines at the start of the game (sub fleet 75 boats historically, 45 in-game). I'd be happy to dig into things and provide the hull numbers/names of the missing boats if it would help.

First, I can't seem to get advanced sliders enabled, even though the checkbox for them is there. AoD 1.04 was my first exposure to Hearts of Iron, and I didn't understand why people were raving about the (to me) buggy advanced sliders. Now... I want my advanced sliders back! Are they not enabled in 0.4.9, and if so please tell me they will be in 0.5!

core has nothing to do with that.

Second, is the US manpower at start as intended? Despite rushing agricultural and recovery techs and slider moves to Hawk Lobby in late 1937 my manpower is at a net of 0.12 a day, 0 manpower remaining, and over 50 needed to complete reinforcing my troops, much less building anything new!

Working as designed. Obviously don't reinforce the troops in 1936, it's the most stupid thing to do.

Amallric, thanks for the reply. So... CORE doesn't and never will have advanced sliders? Pity.

I'd like to not reinforce the troops, but absent advanced sliders or manually adjusting almost every day (and wasting IC every day at that), I don't know how to make it happen. I've got 'emphasise reinforcements' unchecked, and 'emphasise upgrades' checked. The automatic system still puts IC into reinforcements. I don't want to go set every single understrength unit to 'no reinforcements' as that also blocks upgrades. How else can I avoid reinforcing the existing units?

So if I check BOTH 'auto' and 'advanced sliders' they'll show up?

Is that the way it works in vanilla AoD? I don't remember making that change. Of course since HoI remembers your settings I might have done it months ago and forgotten. :-}

You should be able to lock your reinforcements slider at 0 - although this might mean you need to manually check the settings every now and then. US Military manpoweris deliberately held down pre-war, as there was no way that the US Congress or public would have tolerated a large military build up that was heavy on manpower (an extra battleship or two at 1,500 men each is ok, an extra couple of divisions at 15,000 men each is not) in the 1930s.

The "blocked tech" issue re 1938 recovery is WAD - it is the same for any tech. If you happen to be in a position to start research on it before the 1937 recession event kicks in, then you were researching this tech quite "inefficiently" (since it is a year early), and gaining its' benefits early probably isn't so bad. We could lock it out earlier, but that would seem a bit cheesy, perhaps.

Tim

Fourth, the US seems to be missing some 30 submarines at the start of the game (sub fleet 75 boats historically, 45 in-game). I'd be happy to dig into things and provide the hull numbers/names of the missing boats if it would help.
The US built 76 subs prior to 1936: http://www.uboat.net/allies/warships/types.html?navy=USS&type=Submarine. But quite a few were decomissioned before 1936, though many were recommissioned during WWII. For example the O-class boats... All laid up in the reserve fleet by the time of the Second World War. These old boats were unfit for fleet operations and were only used for training. Others, like some of the R-class boats, were transferred to the Royal Navy and Polish navy rather than serve in the US navy after 1935.
Especially the O-, R- and S-class are old, basically obsolete boats by 1936.

The US built 76 subs prior to 1936: http://www.uboat.net/allies/warships/types.html?navy=USS&type=Submarine. But quite a few were decomissioned before 1936, though many were recommissioned during WWII. For example the O-class boats... All laid up in the reserve fleet by the time of the Second World War. These old boats were unfit for fleet operations and were only used for training. Others, like some of the R-class boats, were transferred to the Royal Navy and Polish navy rather than serve in the US navy after 1935.
Especially the O-, R- and S-class are old, basically obsolete boats by 1936.

I wouldn't say the S-classes were obsolete; since they had the older torpedoes they actually did BETTER in the early war patrols.

Is there an event to recommision the older subs and flush-decker destroyers? I haven't seen anything along those lines so far.