• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Galleblære

Panzerberserker
30 Badges
Jan 15, 2002
Visit site
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Would it be possible to add some sort of button in the IGC that kills/deletes unecesary CoT's in a savegame? It is simple enough to delete them by hand, but so much easier just to click a button!

Example:

If Cotvalue > 60 then delete cot
If Holland exist then delete CoT flanders

etc etc

Perhaps uncecessary, but the player could hit the "clean" button before loading a game, and make Europe slightly less populated with CoTs...

That doesn't sound like too bad of an idea, if it can be done. :)

But the problem is, who is capable of writing it? We are in desperate need of someone with programming expertise... :(

This requires a major hack of the source code. Effectively not possible. Certainly not legally.

Originally posted by Isaac Brock
This requires a major hack of the source code. Effectively not possible. Certainly not legally.
Uh? Program which reads the savefile.txt outside the game and deletes few lines?

Sorry. You mean a utility that works on the savegame vs. in-game. Sorry.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Isaac Brock

I think you misread the post; the application would only affect saved games, not any ongoing games.

Yes. I was not talking about altering the game, just about a utility (possibly from within the igc menu) that could screen a save-game, and remove certain CoT's

It could even be as simple as

if year xxx then remove cot province=xxxx

(Ie, removing the cot in flanders when holland raises, remove the cot in portugal when the spanish take over, remove the one in novgorod when(if) the one in muscovny shows up etc.

So, the script would just search the save game for certain values, and remove redundant cot's. It is possible, but Im not skilled enough to do it...heck, I can hardly create a loop program with matlab..

You need more than just a date check. You also need to check that the supposedly redundant CoT exists.

Anyway, is this worth the effort? Personally, I always liked having two CoTs as Russia-- more trade taxes, and you don't have to worry about competition too much.

Originally posted by KwangTiger
Well I think everyone agrees a Flandern with a value of 14 is pretty worthless....

In my last several GCs, the COTs in both Flanders & Holland had values over 100 once the Dutch got into the colonial sphere. I would suggest that the Flanders COT only be removed if the COT value is below a certain value (say, 50?).

Originally posted by KwangTiger
Well I think everyone agrees a Flandern with a value of 14 is pretty worthless....

Except that you'll still get well over 30 additional trade tax from the merchants in the CoT, even if the trade itself is worthless. And if you own Flandern, it'll get a trade boost when you start colonizing.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain why having multiple CoTs is bad. I don't much care if the tool to remove them gets made or not -- it's not like I'd have to use it. I just don't follow the reasoning.

Because the AI and the autosend will keep sending merchants to a COT that is too small for them to ever do any good, whereas the human will just ignore them. Yet another penalty for the AI.

And it's unhistorical. In the event that opens Moscow's CoT the historical reason was to kill Novgorod as a trade hub in the East, yet the CoT stays there.

And I would love to be able to have a CoT in Barcelona at the start of the game (it was a very important Mediterranean trading port) and kill it when the Andalusia one appears (as it happened historically as trade switched from the Med to the Atlantic)

Yes that would be good. Stop Lisbon from being so huge in the 15th century.

Are CoT values even in the savegame? My impression was that they're dynamically generated, and that the save merely tracks CoT locations and merchants present.

So you'd have to work from the date list suggested below ("remove Novgorod in 150", etc.) And include an event to remind the player to save and use the tool on the appropriate date.

Originally posted by AlanC9
Are CoT values even in the savegame? My impression was that they're dynamically generated, and that the save merely tracks CoT locations and merchants present.

So you'd have to work from the date list suggested below ("remove Novgorod in 150", etc.) And include an event to remind the player to save and use the tool on the appropriate date.
Well, the value for each country is listed, so it should be an easy task to summarize...