• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

candyalien

Community Manager
20 Badges
May 16, 2017
twitter.com
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines
MarsSteam 2017-10-03 10-14-09-990.png

We still don't have a ton we can share (though I will be able to soon enough), but I got this awesome new screenshot today and I thought that some of you might like a little look :)

Looking at this screen I suddenly felt nostalgic about an old game called Enemy Nations. It all starts with ship landing on a planet :)

These screenshots got me thinking about map terrain. I don't know if you can answer this yet, @candyalien , but are there plans to make different biomes to play on? So far the maps all have the same look, red rocks. I know it's Mars, but will we see different features on the map based on where on the planet we settle? Like, more desert-looking in some places, more rocky in others, etc.

These screenshots got me thinking about map terrain. I don't know if you can answer this yet, @candyalien , but are there plans to make different biomes to play on? So far the maps all have the same look, red rocks. I know it's Mars, but will we see different features on the map based on where on the planet we settle? Like, more desert-looking in some places, more rocky in others, etc.

When you zoom into the map (at the moment) there are areas that are more rocky and then other areas that are valleys and deserts - so it is already quite varied. However, things are very much still changing so stay tuned :) I just don't think we've been able to show much of the map yet. Plus, where you choose to land has a big impact on the terrain. When you are choosing your landing spot on the Mars map that changes the challenge rating which in turn has an impact on the terrain.

Not sure my answer is much help - but I promise we can delve a little deeper into this nearer to release.

When you zoom into the map (at the moment) there are areas that are more rocky and then other areas that are valleys and deserts - so it is already quite varied. However, things are very much still changing so stay tuned :) I just don't think we've been able to show much of the map yet. Plus, where you choose to land has a big impact on the terrain. When you are choosing your landing spot on the Mars map that changes the challenge rating which in turn has an impact on the terrain.

Not sure my answer is much help - but I promise we can delve a little deeper into this nearer to release.
No, that's a decent enough answer. Even if it's Mars and all, red rocky crags will eventually get old if it remains the sole terrain feature. Looking forward to you showing us more of the map. :)

Can I throw my opinion behind this as well? I'd love to see different areas of Mars feature different geological (areological??) features. Like, for example, the Tharsus region looks pretty flat because there are so few craters.

It would be really cool to see maps at the top of Olympus Mons (that would probably be dangerous) to the bottom of the Valles Marineris (probably the safest place).