• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(479125)

Private
1 Badges
Apr 22, 2012
  • Sword of the Stars II
I been playing a game, as LOA, not the important part... Playing on easy difficulty to help gauge the playability of the game...which for the most part seems better, but still have a few issues.

My current observation is the questioned self destruction of empires in the game. I had set up to play against 8 opponents. Got to meet 2 races early on, one hiver the other Liir. Hivers immediately went to war while the Liir decided on a more diplomatic approach. I have the game set to total annihilation in winning conditions.

Got into quite a tussle with the Hivers, but were easily pushing them back, until the stopped sending ships my way. I took out a couple of their systems, was going to work for more, when they suddenly...died.

Figured, another race took them out, but still seemed odd. A few other empires crumbled along the way.

What surprised me, was that I pretty much had my allies boxed in...there wasn't anything nearby them that could sneak up...when suddenly one turn..BAM, they were wiped out. Just like that.

I'm colonizing their space currently, but not sure who could have made the rather large run to fight them...when I didn't notice. Unless they blew themselves up. Seemed odd.

Currently there are two opponents left on the field, I should have little difficulty in removing the last vestiges, soon as I am done researching everything.

It's entirely possible they were taken out by some kind of neutral threat, like Swarms or a grand menace or something like that. Also possible their economy collapsed or they got revolts, etc. There are ways an empire can die without another empire killing them.

I did think about something like that too. I have Grand Menaces turned off, largely due to it being unstable in earlier releases, next game I would like to turn it back on...just wanna finish a game first :)

I was just wondering if...you can see your allies. I never bothered to check in on them, because they were nicely tucked away behind me, free of trouble. Figured they were safe.

If your allies are not visible to you, then it's quite possible something snuck in there, or they started to fall apart without me noticing it.

If you are able to view your allies, then indeed...they completely vanished all at once, in one turn. If that is the case, then yeah, looking for whatever may have caused such a thing.

If you are able to view your allies, then indeed...they completely vanished all at once, in one turn. If that is the case, then yeah, looking for whatever may have caused such a thing.
I'm not sure whether you should have shared vision or not but they probably did completely vanish all at once, as happens when an empire folds in certain ways. (I think that's what surrendering to another empire usually does.) The question is why.

Indeed...

Oh well, not like it doesn't help me out in the end, I get their stuff.

It was just strange for them to go poof. Now that I think more, I should have been able to see their combat if something was hitting them. So yeah, they probably did vanish. Surrendering may have been the thing.

I can concur this just happened in my game. They were allied for 10's of turns. Then nothing - the WHOLE empire disappeared. Sent vessels to all their planets. Vanished without a trace in ONE turn. Obviously a bug of sorts.

Thanks

I can concur this just happened in my game. They were allied for 10's of turns. Then nothing - the WHOLE empire disappeared. Sent vessels to all their planets. Vanished without a trace in ONE turn. Obviously a bug of sorts.

Thanks

Suggest if not already reported on the kerberos forum that it is reported and alink to to this thread be made there.

Thanks
While I don't disagree with the 'report it to Kerberos' suggestion if you think you're seeing a bug, I'll again note that as far as I know the whole empire vanishing with basically no trace in one turn is exactly the expected phenomenon when an empire folds.

While I don't disagree with the 'report it to Kerberos' suggestion if you think you're seeing a bug, I'll again note that as far as I know the whole empire vanishing with basically no trace in one turn is exactly the expected phenomenon when an empire folds.

Sorry can you elaborate on "empire folding"? They were huge and there is no trace of any planets I could find with any life.

Sorry can you elaborate on "empire folding"? They were huge and there is no trace of any planets I could find with any life.
If I understand correctly, empires can surrender to other empires and the normal result is for the surrendering empire to vanish. (I suspect the Infrastructure remains on the newly emptied planets.)

This behaviour is definitely part and parcel of the game AFAIK - it has certainly happened to me and is most impressive when you happen to be allied with the race in question so you can see all the "lights going out" across their systems suddenly on a turn start. I investigated this from saves when it first happened to me and found it was due to the race going bankrupt and every system rebelling. It's the effect of mounting debt interest turning the screw on their budget to the point of unsustainability and colllapse - AI factions are subject to the same rules as you are. There are other reasons why this might happen too, such as grand menaces, conquest etc.

Doesn't make sense to my Allie. None of the planets had any independant nations. Just vacant. Unlikely they surrendered they were about 6 times the size of our only one enemy.
While I wouldn't put it past the AI to manage to implode in some subtle way anyway, if you've got a save game shortly before that happened it'd be great to share with the Kerberos support forum. You could also try loading the game up in the AI's slot and seeing their situation, but it might be deceptive.

honestly idk why I keep trying to attempt to play this game, i had the same thing happen in my recent "play-through". It's in quotes because usually by turn 100-200 you find massive game breaking annoyances or get tired of the *lang. cleaned* "bad" interface and just quit again.

This game being in the classic games section despite not being that old says it all i think.

Meanwhile Mount and Blade as well as Cities in Motion 1 are in the regular games section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Latest patchnotes:

ddub said:
Critical Fixes
- Fix AI economic destruction

Other Fixes
- Fix Loa gate spawning in center of sun
- Fix missing Tarkas images
- Fix duplicate colony morale items in the tool tip list
- Fix not able to start diplomacy once you encounter a Loa gate