• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Imperator_Thrawn

Second Lieutenant
54 Badges
Apr 23, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Darkest Hour
Having first started playing Europa Universalis with 4 and generally being interested in older games, I've been thinking about getting For the Glory. Before I do, I would like to get the opinion of those on the forums if weather or not it is worth it?

Having first started playing Europa Universalis with 4 and generally being interested in older games, I've been thinking about getting For the Glory. Before I do, I would like to get the opinion of those on the forums if weather or not it is worth it?

Me not knowing what you like and you not knowing what I like in games others opinions are pretty meaningless.
Regardless of that, I do like FtG.

Yeah, I guess a better way I should have phrased my question is: Why do you prefer playing FtG over EU4?

My main reason is speed. I play on an older PC. It does meet the recommended requirements for EU IV but that game has a lot more eyecandy than FtG and so runs comparably slow on my PC where FtG just flies through the years of the game.

Another is that FtG does not change in major parts every few months - EU IV is a game that changes in major aspects with the releases of the major expansions. I do actually like some of the new expansions but not all and not everything they added. And the collector in me always scringes knowing that the game is only "complete" when people lose interest and new expansions and downloadcontent stop selling.

Then I am interested in history so I prefer a gameplay that has historical rulers and tends towards historical results without major player influence. I even play FtG with the AGCEEP mod most of the time that adds a whole load of historical events (including some that steer the AI and the player towards historical results).
Having rulers names and staticstics chosen by random dice and every state in the world balanced against each other for better multiplayergames is a nice way to play for some people - I tried it and I don’t like the map and game in that way.

It is quite a different style of game. Things will happen in FTG that would never happen in EU4, and vice versa, even though they share basically the same scope and time period.

Then again, like ConjurerDragon mentioned, I don't know exactly how EU4 works these days since I can't keep up with the expansions.

My reason for prefering FTG over EU IV is simple: FTG is easier to understand, faster and more historical, like ConjurerDragon said. Seems like you have played EU IV so FTG will definetely be easy for you to start playing. ;)