• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tisifoni12

Field Marshal
20 Badges
Oct 29, 2012
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
I am a bit disappointed by the mechanism for colonist selection. Having started several games I think to myself surely the selection would begin with a design as to what the skills or job role composition of the colonist group would be, for example; four geologists, three botanists, three scientists, two medics. At present you get a pretty mixed bag of colonists and may get very limited number of people in certain job roles / skill areas.

It could be the other way round; I want x geologists, get candidate list, select preferred candidates. Not necessarily a guarantee that I'd get as many I want or that there wouldn't be some candidates that didn't present issues.

When I did colonist selection I found only two geologists. Thought 'oh well' will send my two rockets back with cargo and get more colonists. After a time three of my colonists got earth sick, including one geologist. Reduced production. The earth sick colonists went back to earth I think, though I have no idea how. I used one rocket for a research trip on Mars and it came back to base; neither went back to earth, but those three colonists did.

Production stopped when my only geologist retired with the first rocket almost, but not fully loaded 28/30 high value metal.

Deleted game . . .

You could always hand pick colonists if needed, and then in the end just have regular colonists perform the work. They're worse at it, but they still do mine something.

To get good colonists, you can hand pick (if you have the patience for such micro; I don't after the first few colonist ships arrive). If this is important to you, there are ways to increase the colonist pool (and thereby your chances of getting what you want):
  • Some techs increase the pool
  • Some events/discoveries have options for increasing the pool
  • Some sponsors increase the pool
  • Overall happy/healthy colonies gradually attract more to the pool over time

I generally find hand picking colonists acceptable till i get to around a hundred colonists at which point i usually have an edu-dome setup since i like to rush that tech and get it done since it allows me to remove a source of micro which is always optimal.