• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Slavicist

Field Marshal
15 Badges
Mar 1, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
How can I claim trade posts from rival families? The very far-away counties are just too expensive to spread to, and by the time I'm working on collecting money, the other families get to use their own to grow faster than us, leaving us always behind in the race... :unsure:

Isn't there some way to seize a trade post; other than exterminating a family? I could try it, but there's just too many of them to assassinate without risking the loss of too much reputation (let alone money)...as a doge, do I have any options at all to manipulate a bit my position to at least snatch the trade post of my capital city..?

you can seize from other families in the same republic if you are not the leader of the republic. As the leader, you can only expand by claiming from rival republics. Or build up your mansion and build new ones.

As leader, don't you get the trade posts of families that go extinct?

No, they just get disbanded.
Which is quite wierd; I mean I sort of get it (what would be the way to eliminate all those posts but that?), but still, I think the doge should get at least a partial refund (e.g. some 10-20% of all of the investments).

Step one, as a republic, should honestly always be 'build a trade post in your capital before unpausing'.

That's not gonna cut it if you don't start at the early middle ages start date (with it already occupied by another family).

No, they just get disbanded.
Which is quite wierd; I mean I sort of get it (what would be the way to eliminate all those posts but that?), but still, I think the doge should get at least a partial refund (e.g. some 10-20% of all of the investments).

That's not gonna cut it if you don't start at the early middle ages start date (with it already occupied by another family).

Heh, not always. If you marry into one of the rival Families - when they die off your character can inherit their trading posts. I picked up several trading posts this way. Note that you can only seize from other families if you are under your trading post limit. Also, if you are over your trading post limit and not the Doge you can have trading posts taken from you. High Diplomacy/Intrigue/Stewardship can help prevent this but it's not guaranteed to do so - I think that the Doge's stats are compared to yours. This can really mess things up for your income. It would be nice if there was a way that we could trade/give away trading posts.

Also note that there's a +40% trading post income modifier for "Connected to Capital" which is very significant. Not sure how it works but I expect distant posts will earn significantly less.

One other thing I noticed that I don't think is mentioned anywhere - in my game rival Genoa had a trading post in Africa. After I conquered the province from the Muslim Sultan the trading post disappeared.

Last edited:
Lol, I thought there was an intrigue way...thanks!

Well, I've killed off an entire house and acquired a trade post or two that way, but it is not as reliable. I'm not certain the exact mechanic behind how trade posts are dispersed when a house collapses.

Note that stolen trade posst add to your trade post limit, but you can go over that limit if they are stolen.

Ironically, stealing away other families trade posts is the best way for the republic to economically expand on the long run. When you steal, they drop back under their limit and they build new ones... steal again... and again..until you feel you got enough then be doge advitam aeternam.

And btw..if you plan on staying vassal for a long time and just steal ports... make sure your male members dont end up at the doge's court... You wont need their bonus in post limit and they cost an arm and a leg to maintain. Later in game, once your trade tech is high enough that your limit isnt divided anymore... then they start to be worthwhile.

Well, I've killed off an entire house and acquired a trade post or two that way, but it is not as reliable. I'm not certain the exact mechanic behind how trade posts are dispersed when a house collapses.

Note that stolen trade posst add to your trade post limit, but you can go over that limit if they are stolen.

Can you declare war if you are over your limit? I was at ~20 at one point as a Patrician and the Declare War button was greyed out. Could never figure out why - but I was over the limit.

Im not sure of the maths, but there is a threshold where you cant declare trade wars on much weaker houses. Thats why youll end up being doge forever at some point...you will have leeched out as many posts as you can..and usually there will be only another house rivaling you...who will be the doge if you are not.

And btw..if you plan on staying vassal for a long time and just steal ports... make sure your male members dont end up at the doge's court... You wont need their bonus in post limit and they cost an arm and a leg to maintain. Later in game, once your trade tech is high enough that your limit isnt divided anymore... then they start to be worthwhile.

That's a bad idea, because there's always the risk of the republic getting destroyed due to a poor doge - if it already isn't a sworn vassal.

Never have I gotten as a patrician of an independent republic more then just a few years, before game over (or switching to a feudal lord) due to a de jure invasion...