• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had 50 hours in this game the first week after release before giving it up until the matrilineal marriage issue was resolved. Now that perhaps it is, I try to play and it just crashes while the game is initializing for maybe 10 seconds, whether I use Resume or Play from the launcher. I updated my video card driver to the most recent, tried disabling my antivirus, had Steam validate the game files, ran as administrator, changed the settings to run in Windowed mode without Vsync and lowest resolution. None of it fixes the crashes. Even the crash reporter tries to upload info and then fails.

Error.log is empty, here's other things.
I can't see what is causing that for you, I'm sorry, it's not one of the more common causes.

Does 1.03 work for you still?

I can't see what is causing that for you, I'm sorry, it's not one of the more common causes.

Does 1.03 work for you still?
Have not been able to launch any version of the game at all. Just tried rolling back the new video card driver since that's the only thing that should've changed since I was playing a month ago, but to no effect. Neither 1.0.2 or 1.0.3 would launch.

It's a very common issue, I've seen dozens of people in the paradox forums with this problem and dozens on on reddit, all with the identical issue. And no I can't revert to the previous version. I'm on game pass.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It's a very common issue, I've seen dozens of people in the paradox forums with this problem and dozens on on reddit, all with the identical issue. And no I can't revert to the previous version. I'm on game pass.
download PDX laucher and play from it 1.0.3 :rolleyes: your pdx acc>my games>downloads

Last edited:
I wasn't saying that to you, but to @Aureal who as I say seems to have some other problem. This is one of the issues with these huge threads with multiple users and unrelated problems interspersed.

Please try these steps that some affected Gamepass users have found helped them:

AND make sure you run the game from the beta Xbox app, not the MS Win 10 store app.

Good luck with that!

Last edited:
New launcher update didn't fix anything :(

OK, this is getting weird ;p

So, basically - I've got the same issue as all you good folks -> game just crashes at start, since the installation of the latest patch. Sometimes I see the white "report issue" window, sometimes the game starts, or rather appears to be starting but gets stuck and task manager shows it's doing nothing, no CPU usage, no RAM usage, the process just... exists.

Steam version, trying to launch using the Paradox app and the game executable. Tried everything - admin rights, Windows Ransomware thingy, etc.

And, well... I just got a little bit mad (I WANT MY CK AND I WANT IT NOW, GODDAMIT, <smashingsounds.mp3>) and simply tried launching the game as many times as possible.

It worked. Somehow. Please see the screenshot attached, it's from the task manager - as you can see, I've got two stuck ck3 instances (marked as "F"), and one working just fine, marked as "W". The game is working in the background, just as I write this.

So, my advice - try executing (brute-forcing?) the CK3.exe file until the game starts properly. I have no idea why this works, I can't say if this will work in every case, but it's worth a try.

And, yeah - game runs fine. I've just loaded my save game, CK3 appears to be working OK, no bugs, no slowdowns, no lag.

I'm kind of confused right now, to be completely honest with you ;)

ck3.PNG

EDIT:

I've killed the two stuck instances you can see above, just to see what will happen. Seems that, well, nothing happened - the stuck processes disappeared, it didn't affect the "good" instance at all, the game still works fine.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hi mnik_1, that seems very similar to my experience. I'm able to 'brute force' or 'bully' the game into working by simply pressing play again and again. Which...is really odd. I'm very used to something either working, or not.
I have found once it starts it runs fine, EXCEPT if I quit a game back to the main menu, where it seems to crash a lot. I have also found steam will not end the program entirely once I've quit, meaning I have to go into task manager and end it that way. Have you found similar behaviour?

Can't confirm the "crashing after exiting to main menu" problem, as I usually quit the game straight to desktop - but will try this later today. Can confirm the second part, though.

I've also noticed that the brute-force method sometimes works quickly (as in: game launches properly after just one-two tries), but sometimes it takes A LONG time for it to finally click. When I tried to launch the game again, some time after writing my comment, I honestly thought the brute-force method simply stopped working - managed to create five stuck "ck3" instances (and seen A LOT of the "report issue" screens) before the game decided to launch properly.

I have tried literally every workaround in this forum and none of them have worked. This is beyond maddening and utterly ridiculous.
I've managed to play about 10 minutes since the game launched... im keeping hope.
If you have a dual CPU setup then reverting to the game to 1.03 will allow it to run, but that facility is only available for the Steam edition.

If that is not your situation please make your own new threads with full problem history and system details, thanks.

We now think this is an issue with dual CPU systems.

CPU or GPU slightly below the minimum requirements should not cause a crash like this. If that is confirmed there will be a hotfix soon to address that problem.

Sorry about that!
I can now officially confirm that Upgrading my CPU fixed the problem.
  • OLD CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 (Dual Core)
  • NEW CPU: Intel Core I7-7700 (Quad Core)
The thought of issues with Dual Core seems to be correct from my perspective.

If you have a dual CPU setup then reverting to the game to 1.03 will allow it to run, but that facility is only available for the Steam edition.

If that is not your situation please make your own new threads with full problem history and system details, thanks.
Thanks and I did make a post, two actually. One right after the recent patch. I have a quad-core CPU and a dual GPU SLI setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.