• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MTXperience

Corporal
91 Badges
Aug 21, 2010
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
[Utility] CK2Chooser - Random Date/Character Utility

Background

One of the hardest aspects of CK2 for me is deciding what date to start a new game, and whom to play. To combat that, I went ahead and created this little utility.

What It Does

After loading up CK2Chooser (and telling it where your game is installed), you select a date to load into the utility. You can manually enter a date, choose one of the game's 4 bookmarked dates, or randomly generate a date.

Once your date is entered, CK2Chooser will load up the relevant historical data, and create a database of playable characters available at that time.

Simply choose which ranks you're interested in playing, and push the button. CK2Chooser will pick an appropriate character and display it to you.

You can also generate a in-game bookmark once you've selected a character, that will let you go directly to the date and character you've chosen.

Installation

You will need the .NET runtime for this utility. You can get it here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa569263

Past that, just put the attached executable wherever you want, and run it.

Disclaimer

This was my first time even looking at the Paradox data files, let alone trying to parse them. There are bound to be issues. I encountered syntax errors in some of the data files, and have tried to "program around" them whenever I could.

I haven't looked into how mod data files are handled by the app, so this thing doesn't (yet) check any special mod folders or anything when it looks for its data, it will just grab what it finds in the "standard" data. That said, it does have an option for loading non-Christian characters, as well as dates outside the normal date range... so hopefully its of some use to people that have tweaked their game along these lines. With enough prodding, I intend to look into expanding this into working with various mods.

Conclusion

Hope you enjoy it. I intend to make future improvements if there is sufficient community enthusiasm. More than anything, I just wanted something like this for my own use, and didn't see a similar utility out there already.

Version History

=====
- Updated for 1.10 with new bookmarks and ability to filter for Pagans.

=====
- Fixed a crash caused by some bad data integrity in the 1.09 patch.
- Fixed the issue causing dynasty names to no longer appear.
- Patricians are now loaded to character database, and have been added to rank filter.

KNOWN ISSUE:
- Paradox did not include the translations for the Patrician House Holdings in the localization files, as they have for other titles. Until I figure out where (if anywhere) they stashed those, these titles won't look quite right.

Example: The personal holding of House Ziani shows as "City of b_ziani"

=====
- Added new the "The Mongols" bookmark

=====
- Fixed issue with selecting the "William the Conqueror" bookmark
- Added more options to Religion filtering.

=====
- Fixed an issue caused by a "bad" character record in the 1.07 patch
- Added the 2 new bookmarks

=====
- Fixed (and tested!) random date issue for non-US users

=====
- Attempt to fix random date issue for non-US users

=====
- Updated so now program should again work under 1.06 if the "Load Christian Leaders" box is checked.

=====
- Fix to make compatible with 1.05 data changes.

=====
- Fixed issue with non-US users when parsing the date.
- Various minor bug fixes for the engine that parses the game's data.

=====
- Added ability to create bookmarks based on the generated date/character.

=====
- Added translations for titles, cultures, and religions.

=====
- Iniitial

Attachments

• CK2Chooser1034.zip
    460,6 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Reactions:
It seems as if your tool can't handle the continental european date format. When I hit the "Generate" button I get a "Minimum Date in Range is invalid" error. I changed 09/15/1066 to 10/10/1066 and it generated me 02.18.1123. When I click "Pick Character" afterwards, I receive a "No Match Found" error.

When I click on 'Stamford Bridge' it generates '09/15/1066', which matches where it says 'MM/DD/YYYY' in the program, but trying that gives me a 'date not in valid format' error. Changing it to DD/MM/YYYY, though, (i.e. 15/09/1066) works fine. So I think you've got an error regarding format that needs to be fixed, because the program is generating dates in MM/DD/YYYY format but only accepts them in DD/MM/YYYY format.

It's a nice little utility by the way, I can see myself using it a lot to generate some fun random games, but really needs to be tweaked because as it is right now the date generation feature just doesn't work properly and requires everything to be input manually.

I've uploaded a new version which should hopefully fix the issues non-US users are having with date parsing.

If anyone still experiences the issue TEOL describes above, please let me know.

Any news on if this will be updated for 1.06? I love this mod, it's something that I'm supprised wasn't included in the retail game. You don't get to pick your family in real life :p

Yay, updates! I guess I should let you know then that there's still a problem with that generate random date function. For example it gives me a date 19.11.1122 and it refuses to accept this until I change it manually to 11/19/1122.

I've uploaded version 1.0.2.1... which should HOPEFULLY fix this issue for you Saniala. Would greatly appreciate some feedback on if it worked or not. If it doesn't, I'm going to steal my wife's laptop and set it to a non-US locale for testing purposes...

Last edited:
Now it doesn't work at all. When clicking on that random date button, I get an error. I don't want to spam this thread so I've uploaded... [links removed]

Last edited:
Ok... version 1.0.2.2 uploaded. I believe I have it fixed. I've tested it using Windows set to German and Finnish locale settings, and everything appears to be in working order.

Again, would love feedback from non-US folks to see if it is indeed working for them.