• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Has the game ever run OK on this computer? Or never?

IF NEVER:
Install ALL these Microsoft modules:

(run dxsetup.exe after extracting from this download)

Add ck2game.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.

Also if you have installed RivaTuner, RadeonPro, or a gaming VPN app called Evolve, or the MSI Gaming App, or Duet, disable it as it clashes with this game.

IF IT USED TO WORK:
Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-CK2
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/CK2 AND Documents/Paradox/CK2 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add ck2game.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam CK2 or Documents CK2 locations, before installing again.

Also if you have installed RivaTuner, RadeonPro, or a gaming VPN app called Evolve, or the MSI Gaming App, or Duet, disable it as it clashes with this game.

IF NEITHER OF THOSE HELP:
DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/CK2/settings.txt
From your Documents/Paradox/CK2/logs/ folder, attach system.log .

I have had same issue. I run the game and the launcher pops up. When I click PLAY. nothing noticeable happens. The main screen is still has the desktop but not interactive. Pulling up task manager on the secondary security show that CK2.exe is not responding. I can end task just fine.

I have done the following:
1) Clean install
2) Admin permission given
2) Disable all DLC
3) NO Mods
4) Signed in to Paradox
5) Updated DirectX, MSCV, etc
6) Whitelisted CK2.exe from Defender & Windows Security
7) Read tons of support ideas from here and Steam

Attachments

• CK2 DxDiag.txt
    126,3 KB · Views: 0
I figured out a solution to both games.

I went to the local steam folder of the game.
I right click the .exe file, select properties, Compatibilty.
I checked Disable fullscreen optimizations.
I checked Run this program as an administrator and click ok.

Then I ran the .exe file in the folder and it worked.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Probably running in borderless or windowed mode would have worked too, FYI.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This solved the issue for me. I see this issue across many 100s maybe 1000s of posts both on Steam and here and would ask Paradox to the right thing and suggest this first to customers rather than reinstall, deletions and quite frankly waste peoples time when this could fix for many.