• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SolarChallenger

Corporal
69 Badges
Aug 26, 2012
  • Majesty 2
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
Short summary of your issue Siege progress resetting upon reaching max

Game Version 1.1.1

What OS are you playing on?
Windows

What platform are you using?
Steam

Do you have mods enabled? Yes

Have you tried verifying your game files (Steam only)?
No

How much "pain" is this causing you?

Please explain the issue you experienced in the most condensed way possible
I am a vassal of England defending in a war to claim one of my provinces. I carpet sieged the enemy provinces, but eventually realized that I wasn't occupying any land. Every time a siege would reach max progress, it would simply reset rather than actually occupy the area. All I can think of is maybe being a vassal rather than a participant is messing things up.

Please explain how to reproduce the issue
Simply wait until any of the sieges reach max progress and watch it reset. Ailech should happen fairly soon.

Is there anything else you think could help us identify/replicate the issue?
The only mod I was running colored your education traits, but I removed that mod and the problem persisted. My liege is still able to occupy territory, as seen by the occupation of Athlone in the center. And I was able to reclaim Dyflinn after it was captured. I am running iron man however, so I cannot show those previous events as they occur. It should be easy enough to see my liege successfully siege another province if you wait long enough however.

I am Alfred of Wessex, my liege is some Italian bishop named Lorenzo and we are at war with Meath.

I have attached a save game
Yes

Upload Attachment
File(s) attached

Attachments

• of_Wessex.ck3
    8,7 MB · Views: 0
  • Siege Resetting After.png
    Siege Resetting After.png
    3,4 MB · Views: 0
  • Siege Resetting Before.png
    Siege Resetting Before.png
    3,6 MB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Oh, and it may be worth noting that the crusades were called early in this game and I still haven't figured out why, so there may be some more fundamental fuckery that I am only seeing manifestations of.

Reactions:
I would like to add here that I have experienced this very same bug - under identical circumstances. In my case I was a Ducal vassal of the King of Bulgaria. The King of Moldavia had just declared war on my liege in order to denude me of one of my own provinces. I made haste for the Moldavian capital, defeated their primary army and proceeded to lay siege.

I thought this would mitigate the fact that I lacked manpower against the enemy (plus allies) as I had Onagers and could take the nearby holdings quickly. Instead I found that upon completion, the siege meter would simply reset to zero and start over. My enemy could siege and occupy my provinces, to be clear, but I could not do the same to them. Not sure what the genesis of this bug is, but I'm going to stop playing for now as this could be potentially game breaking.

I'd rate it at least an 8 (if not higher) on the pain scale myself.

So I would like to add one additional bit of pertinent information here. On a hunch I decided to go back and check into my situation once more and this time I actually opened up the War screen to see just who was at war with who. Much to my surprise, it turns out that I (the Duke of Moldavia) am not at war with anybody.

The scenario seems to be playing out like this; a foreign King (Moldavia, confusingly enough) declares war on my liege for control of a county within my domain. Now, this county is NOT directly controlled by me; a vassal count of mine is in possession. So, from a certain perspective, I'm not really involved. While I do stand to lose prestige (and a vassal) the territories under my direct authority are not in dispute. This might account for the fact that while the war clearly can (and has) affected me adversely it's not really about -me- per se.

I can confirm that the armies of Moldavia are labeled "Hostile" rather than "Enemy" and they have an orange rather than a red color. This distinction is sometimes hard for me to read visually as the shades are similar, but the distinction is quite real.

There remain two questions, at least as far as I am concerned; first, is this WAD? I stand to lose a vassal Count (and his land) in this transaction so it seems the war should at least involve me - even if the foreign King must declare war on my liege as well. Moreover, shouldn't I be disallowed from sieging at all if I'm not technically part of the hostilities? Is this perhaps where the bug is? Does the game think my men are raiders, perhaps? After all though my King is Feudal I am a Tribal vassal.

Anyway just wanted to put this here as it seems relevant. The TLDR summary is; I'm not actually at war; the Moldavian King is merely hostile (not an enemy) and he evidently wants to force my Liege to give my land up - whether I like it or not. Most interesting (and infuriating).

The scenario seems to be playing out like this; a foreign King (Moldavia, confusingly enough) declares war on my liege for control of a county within my domain. Now, this county is NOT directly controlled by me; a vassal count of mine is in possession. So, from a certain perspective, I'm not really involved. While I do stand to lose prestige (and a vassal) the territories under my direct authority are not in dispute. This might account for the fact that while the war clearly can (and has) affected me adversely it's not really about -me- per se.

Well shit, I guess this is what's going on upon a second look. I did not realize that my liege's wars are presented in the bottom right corner the exact same as my own are. I still think the inability to siege provinces is a bad thing, but I honestly can't claim for sure that it's a bug. I know I already disagree with how vassal's that stand to lose land in a liege's war are treated in other ways. Such as it being the liege's war even though the vassal own the title, meaning the liege can freely give away a vassal's land without their input.

I don't know if one is supposed to be able to siege a hostile's territory or if they have to be an actual enemy.

Reactions:
Well shit, I guess this is what's going on upon a second look. I did not realize that my liege's wars are presented in the bottom right corner the exact same as my own are. I still think the inability to siege provinces is a bad thing, but I honestly can't claim for sure that it's a bug. I know I already disagree with how vassal's that stand to lose land in a liege's war are treated in other ways. Such as it being the liege's war even though the vassal own the title, meaning the liege can freely give away a vassal's land without their input.

I don't know if one is supposed to be able to siege a hostile's territory or if they have to be an actual enemy.

The issue I have here is similar to yours; if my Liege loses this war it's really no skin off his back - he's still king of Bulgaria/Serbia and he still has a lot of land, money and power. I on the other hand stand to lose a direct vassal and as I'm a smaller realm the punishment is much greater. I think I -should- be able to intercede on my own behalf, I mean how can the King give away land belonging to a Count that has done direct homage to me and not my Liege? Shouldn't that, like, give me some kind of casus beli against my Liege? It seems like rather a violation of the feudal contract, even if the war goes badly and there's no other option. Anyway just opining here.

The issue I have here is similar to yours; if my Liege loses this war it's really no skin off his back - he's still king of Bulgaria/Serbia and he still has a lot of land, money and power. I on the other hand stand to lose a direct vassal and as I'm a smaller realm the punishment is much greater. I think I -should- be able to intercede on my own behalf, I mean how can the King give away land belonging to a Count that has done direct homage to me and not my Liege? Shouldn't that, like, give me some kind of casus beli against my Liege? It seems like rather a violation of the feudal contract, even if the war goes badly and there's no other option. Anyway just opining here.

There's at least one of thread talking about how the owner of the contested title should be the war leader and simply be able to call their liege into the war. Making the title holder be the one in charge of the war while still having the feudal contract provide support. Than you run into the issue of a liege not being able to protect their lands if their vassal wants to concede, but that could be bandaged pretty easily by making war score be based partially off of your liege's territories even though you are the war leader. I personally would really like to see that change, but am open to seeing what holes other people can poke through it.

Hoping that when I can get visual studio working properly, I can start making some of my mod ideas.

Hoping that when I can get visual studio working properly, I can start making some of my mod ideas.

That may end in disappointment, VSCode is rather slow, for some reason, at reading a lot of files at once, it hangs a lot on my machine which isn't paltry to say the least.

I still use it though, but i just wanted to give you a heads up. Performance might be a thing.

Reactions:
That may end in disappointment, VSCode is rather slow, for some reason, at reading a lot of files at once, it hangs a lot on my machine which isn't paltry to say the least.

I still use it though, but i just wanted to give you a heads up. Performance might be a thing.
The video on the wiki mentioned that he uses Notepad++ when he has to search through a lot of files at once. But the formatting and style of the code looked so clean in visual studio. That's why I want to use it, because there's not really any useful documentation that I could find. Which means I'll have to just look at code and guess what it does in order to make my own. And visual representation is gonna be vital for that. The only issue is that I downloaded the extensions needed, restarted VSCode, even restarted my computer, and it's still just showing code as plain text.

The video on the wiki mentioned that he uses Notepad++ when he has to search through a lot of files at once. But the formatting and style of the code looked so clean in visual studio. That's why I want to use it, because there's not really any useful documentation that I could find. Which means I'll have to just look at code and guess what it does in order to make my own. And visual representation is gonna be vital for that. The only issue is that I downloaded the extensions needed, restarted VSCode, even restarted my computer, and it's still just showing code as plain text.

the directories sometimes contain .info files that explain what the structure should be, it was an eye-opener when i found them.

Also wait: are there Clausewitz extensions ?

Reactions:
the directories sometimes contain .info files that explain what the structure should be, it was an eye-opener when i found them
I'll have to look into those than. Might be a good place to start. Still need to figure out which mod to go for first. Some of my ideas are not simple. And even a couple of the things that feel like they should be dumb simple could easily be buried behind some hard coded nonsense.

I'll have to look into those than. Might be a good place to start. Still need to figure out which mod to go for first. Some of my ideas are not simple. And even a couple of the things that feel like they should be dumb simple could easily be buried behind some hard coded nonsense.

if you don't mind me asking, what are you looking to make ?

if you don't mind me asking, what are you looking to make ?
My first idea seemed dead simple, but I'm thinking may not be. And it was that when you take prisoners as a result of the take prisoners casus belli, I want those prisoners to be given a visible "marked for sacrifice" trait. As currently I can find no way to identify who is marked for sacrifice until you release them in some way and lose 100 piety. Since then I've created a list of mod ideas of my phone. Some small. others big and pretty evenly split between gameplay changes and QoL. Like adding some light naval mechanics in the form of a greek fire innovation that causes attrition when enemies disembark on your provinces and a man-at-arms that applies attrition to enemies in the same sea zone as they are. The man-at-arms one might be hard, but creating innovations should be pretty easy.

But if I get deep enough in, and this is big if cause UI is hard af, I wanna change some of the UI elements around search functions. Such as not closing the menu ever time you select a character and saving search preferences in all search screens like it does for the marriage screen. But as I said, the UI changes are a pipe dream because I imagine most of it is hardcoded.

My first idea seemed dead simple, but I'm thinking may not be. And it was that when you take prisoners as a result of the take prisoners casus belli, I want those prisoners to be given a visible "marked for sacrifice" trait. As currently I can find no way to identify who is marked for sacrifice until you release them in some way and lose 100 piety. Since then I've created a list of mod ideas of my phone. Some small. others big and pretty evenly split between gameplay changes and QoL. Like adding some light naval mechanics in the form of a greek fire innovation that causes attrition when enemies disembark on your provinces and a man-at-arms that applies attrition to enemies in the same sea zone as they are. The man-at-arms one might be hard, but creating innovations should be pretty easy.

But if I get deep enough in, and this is big if cause UI is hard af, I wanna change some of the UI elements around search functions. Such as not closing the menu ever time you select a character and saving search preferences in all search screens like it does for the marriage screen. But as I said, the UI changes are a pipe dream because I imagine most of it is hardcoded.

it looks like the sacrefice part is also going to be a hard one, as the word 'sacrefice' can't even be found by VSCode in the 'common' folder.

You have some ambitious dreams man, i have to give you that, i started a lot smaller with minor rebalance mods.

it looks like the sacrefice part is also going to be a hard one, as the word 'sacrefice' can't even be found by VSCode in the 'common' folder.

You have some ambitious dreams man, i have to give you that, i started a lot smaller with minor rebalance mods.
Yeah, as much as I thought my first idea would be easy, I realized it won't be. So I'm thinking my first mod will just be that greek fire innovation, unless attrition proves too hard to alter. Than I'll probably go for some custom events for more fluff and branch out from there. Probably more court based events that only trigger while you're actually in court so leading armies and such actually feels like it has a cost. I know my first mods need to be small projects.

I would like to add that I have experienced this bug as well. While playing as the Duke of Toulouse the Queen of Aquitaine declared a war for the county of carcassonne. This county is held by my direct vassel. When I finished besieging the Aquitaine capital the progress bar reset and Aquitaine retained control of the holding. As DukeSforza experience Aquitaine's armies are orange hostile armies, not red enemy armies. However unlike him I am not tribal, so that can't be the cause of the issue.