• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizzles

Recruit
Sep 17, 2020
Short summary of your issue Inheritance laws changing without notice

Game Version 1.0.3

What OS are you playing on?
Windows

What platform are you using?
Windows Store

Do you have mods enabled? No

Have you tried verifying your game files (Steam only)?
No

How much "pain" is this causing you?

Please explain the issue you experienced in the most condensed way possible
I was playing as house Daura and playing with female preferred inheritance. I had 2 disinherited daughters and 5 sons and a daughter. Seeing as i had female preferred inheritance everything was going to be given to my only eligible daughter. I double checked this. However when I died, everything was given to my Sons. Upon checking my laws afterwards. It was equal succession laws. It seems it was changed at some point without any notifications or notice? or just glitched when i died

Please explain how to reproduce the issue
No idea

Is there anything else you think could help us identify/replicate the issue?

I have attached a save game
Yes

Upload Attachment
File(s) attached

Attachments

• autosave_exit.ck3
    3,1 MB · Views: 0
Just had a similar problem (in 1.3), where succession was ghost-switched from Primogeniture to Confederate Partition. Nothing fancy here -- no custom laws on the titles, no strange family business. I was definitely on Primo, as I had already inherited with it once.

Ironman run, so I can't provide a useful "before" save, but I'll switch inheritance back to Primo (once I get these powerful vassals in line) and see if it reverts again somewhere down the line.

Hello, Rizzles, peezmachine,

Thanks for reporting these issues! Can you describe if anything significant happened in your game between when you last checked the laws and when you noticed they were changed - any inherited titles, pressed claims, new territories, change in religion/culture? Thanks in advance!

Ok, going back through the lineage and title history, I think I've got a good picture of the situation.

- Fraunk II (let's call him "Twoey") is the emperor of Sicily. He establishes primogeniture, making it safe to then found the empire of Mahgreb, which he does.
- Twoey dies, and is succeeded by his oldest son, Fraunk III (aka "Triple"), who gets both empires cleanly under primogeniture.
- Triple dies, sending the empire of Sicily to his older son, and the empire of Mahgreb to his younger son. I check my realm rules and sure enough, Cofederate Parition somehow

So the flip happened at some point during Triple's ascension or rule. So here are some fun facts about triple that may or may not be relevant:

- he was of a different cadet branch than his predecessor (not sure how this happened if he was in line for titles)
- held a lower title in a foreign nation before his predecessor died. This title came with Triple into my realm when he inherited higher-rank titles

If I had to guess, I would say that when this ruler took the throne, he already had an inheritance law (since he already had a realm) and he quietly kept that law when he ascended?

EDIT: I think the post below is probably more relevant; culture differences are the likely culprit here.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Ok, going back through the lineage and title history, I think I've got a good picture of the situation.

- Fraunk II (let's call him "Twoey") is the emperor of Sicily. He establishes primogeniture, making it safe to then found the empire of Mahgreb, which he does.
- Twoey dies, and is succeeded by his oldest son, Fraunk III (aka "Triple"), who gets both empires cleanly under primogeniture.
- Triple dies, sending the empire of Sicily to his older son, and the empire of Mahgreb to his younger son. I check my realm rules and sure enough, Cofederate Parition somehow

So the flip happened at some point during Triple's ascension or rule. So here are some fun facts about triple that may or may not be relevant:

- he was of a different cadet branch than his predecessor (not sure how this happened if he was in line for titles)
- held a lower title in a foreign nation before his predecessor died. This title came with Triple into my realm when he inherited higher-rank titles

If I had to guess, I would say that when this ruler took the throne, he already had an inheritance law (since he already had a realm) and he quietly kept that law when he ascended?
Succession Law changes out of the blue may also be a result of the new Ruler having a different culture than the previous. I've had that happen a few times to me too. So, if you have Primo, check your heir's culture before you die and pass the throne on to him/her...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Succession Law changes out of the blue may also be a result of the new Ruler having a different culture than the previous. I've had that happen a few times to me too. So, if you have Primo, check your heir's culture before you die and pass the throne on to him/her...
Oh you know what, that's entirely possible here. Since this all happened in the past, I'm looking at the lineage, but that only shows the state of each character when they died, and now that you mention it, I recall that my ruler was French but he adopted the Norman culture when he took over.

If that's the case then this might not be a bug, it's just a very problematic result of a bunch of gears turning in ways that are reasonable on their own, but combine for some trouble. If the French didn't have Primogeniture unlocked, then the ruler can't use it when they take over. They switch cultures and now have access to Primogeniture, but there's no notion of "preferred realm inheritance" that would then kick into effect, so they quietly keep something like Confederate Partition until they die. The solution might just be a big old message when a ruler takes over that says "hey, your new ruler has different culture and/or realm settings, go take a look," because I doubt there's a solution that involves touching the mechanics that doesn't just create new dangerous edge cases.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Thanks for the replies! This does seem to be tied to the Heir's culture not having the necessary innovation. We've added this to our database and will be looking into it to make sure there's no surprises.

Cheers!

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.