• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

broseidon13

Second Lieutenant
2 Badges
Sep 29, 2020
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
Short summary of your issue Game does not launch

Game Version 1.1.1

What OS are you playing on?
Windows

What platform are you using?
Steam

Do you have mods enabled? No

Have you tried verifying your game files (Steam only)?
Yes

How much "pain" is this causing you?

Please explain the issue you experienced in the most condensed way possible
The game was working perfectly fine last night, but when I click 'resume' or 'play' on the launcher after the update to version 1.1.1 this morning the launcher closes and nothing else happens.

Please explain how to reproduce the issue

Is there anything else you think could help us identify/replicate the issue?

I have attached a save game
No

Upvote 0
This is exactly what I'm experiencing.

Could you double check if you can still run the older version by opening steam -> right clicking ck3 -> properties -> betas -> select the beta 1.0.3 (older version) ?

I’m having this same issue. I’ve had to cancel validating the steam files to try again because it’s stuck on 99%, so I’m still at that stage. Like you, it was working perfectly fine for me last night. The update had just dropped when I exited and this is the first time I’ve tried to play it since then.

Hey guys,

Thanks for your report - could you please check to see if you've got a crash log created? If so can you upload it should be here:

C:\Users\[user]\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\crashes

Thanks!

Cederstronk

Hey guys,

Thanks for your report - could you please check to see if you've got a crash log created? If so can you upload it should be here:

C:\Users\[user]\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\crashes

Thanks!

Cederstronk

Hopefully this works, I've not uploaded on here before.

I created a zip of the crash file as I tried a number of times. I tried rolling back and then re-updating, I also uninstalled the game and reinstalled it. Sometimes the entire launcher crashed and sometimes I got a little alert next to the play button that said something had gone wrong.

Attachments

• crashes.zip
    64,8 MB · Views: 0
Hello everyone,

Thanks for the crash report - that's perfectly fine the way you've uploaded it! :)

We've got this logged on our internal database - the thread that was linked earlier already contains a few potential workarounds but I'll post them here as well just in case one of them might help you. Please do note that these solutions are not designed to specifically fix your issue and may not work at all, I'm only posting it to highlight a few workarounds that other users have had success with while we're looking into your issue on our side.

#Potential Fix 1
Roll back the game on the previous version 1.0.3 - note this only works for Steam users

#Potential Fix 2
Either disable the SSAO option in the menu or disabling GPU Overclocking if that's enabled.
In this instance, since you're not able to access the main menu, you can disable the SSAO option through the pdx_settings.txt:
  1. Navigate to C:\Users[user]\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III
  2. Open pdx_settings.txt in a text editor
  3. In the file there is a section "portraits_ssao", the enabled parameter should be set to no- it should look like this:
    "portraits_ssao"={
    version=0
    enabled=no
    }

4. Save the changes to the file
#Potential Fix 3
Ensure that your antivirus/ransomware isn't blocking the title, you may have to do this after the new patch.

Finally, make sure you've updated your GPU drivers!

Cheers,
Cederstronk

The game doesn't crash for me, it just straight up never starts so I can't get a crash report log. The launcher shows up fine but clicking resume or play just closes the launcher and starts an empty process that shows up doing nothing in my task manager.

I tried rolling back to version 1.0.3 and that seems to let me play the game as I could before the update. Still, I'd like to be able to play the updated version, especially considering it's supposed to make AI allied armies somewhat more useful and I'm currently in the middle of a very frustrating great holy war....

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the crash report - that's perfectly fine the way you've uploaded it! :)

We've got this logged on our internal database - the thread that was linked earlier already contains a few potential workarounds but I'll post them here as well just in case one of them might help you. Please do note that these solutions are not designed to specifically fix your issue and may not work at all, I'm only posting it to highlight a few workarounds that other users have had success with while we're looking into your issue on our side.

#Potential Fix 1
Roll back the game on the previous version 1.0.3 - note this only works for Steam users

#Potential Fix 2
Either disable the SSAO option in the menu or disabling GPU Overclocking if that's enabled.
In this instance, since you're not able to access the main menu, you can disable the SSAO option through the pdx_settings.txt:
  1. Navigate to C:\Users[user]\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III
  2. Open pdx_settings.txt in a text editor
  3. In the file there is a section "portraits_ssao", the enabled parameter should be set to no- it should look like this:
    "portraits_ssao"={
    version=0
    enabled=no
    }

4. Save the changes to the file
#Potential Fix 3
Ensure that your antivirus/ransomware isn't blocking the title, you may have to do this after the new patch.

Finally, make sure you've updated your GPU drivers!

Cheers,
Cederstronk

Rolling back is the only way I can play the game. But that’s not a fix. I have done everything you’ve suggested including getting the most recent GPU driver update.

The game doesn't crash for me, it just straight up never starts so I can't get a crash report log. The launcher shows up fine but clicking resume or play just closes the launcher and starts an empty process that shows up doing nothing in my task manager.

I tried rolling back to version 1.0.3 and that seems to let me play the game as I could before the update. Still, I'd like to be able to play the updated version, especially considering it's supposed to make AI allied armies somewhat more useful and I'm currently in the middle of a very frustrating great holy war....

Looks like we’re stuck, mate.

Hey guys,

I appreciate that rolling back isn't a fix, poor choice of words on my part - it's a momentary workaround that might allow you to play the game while we're working on a solution on our end. Please rest assured that the issue has been logged on our internal database and the team is working to hopefully be able to implement a solution.

Cheers,
Cederstronk