• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sep 8, 2021
Short summary of your issue
Development Growth in County Task incorrectly much lower after game load

Game Version
game version: Branch: release/1.4.4 Commit: 8b6e4f8e171c2667c387ee25e30411c535d61889 Timestamp: 2021-06-24 08:07:26 +0000 Commit Number: 62033 MP Checksum: 79ad clausewitz: titus/release/1.4.4 ec310a2660efed5e84efa3c559559ebcb78e9b5d jomini: titus/release/1.4.4 ec310a2660efed5e84efa3c559559ebcb78e9b5d external_libs: develop e3907e8d810637a7f618fd57558866578d77a2ac

What OS are you playing on?
Windows

What platform are you using?
Steam

Do you have mods enabled?
No

Have you tried verifying your game files (Steam only)?
Yes

How much "pain" is this causing you?

Please explain the issue you experienced in the most condensed way possible
On game load, Development Growth in County task applies incorrectly at a much lower rate until Steward switches tasks and is reassigned Development Growth in County

Please explain how to reproduce the issue
1. Load Game Save
2. Note down the current developing County and Current Monthly Development Growth
3. Switch Steward Task to Collect Taxes
4. Switch Steward Task to Development Growth in County in the Same County as before
5. Note down new displayed Monthly Development Growth (is roughly a ~2 point difference at 4 normal growth from own experiences with Bug)

Is there anything else you think could help us identify/replicate the issue?

I have attached a save game
Yes

Upload Attachment
File(s) attached

Attachments

• revay dynasty known by all by matthew.ck3
    8 MB · Views: 0
  • 7Like
Reactions:
I can second this, seeing this behavior in my game as well. Plus, this also affects the Increase Control action for your Marshal! These combined are a pretty big deal, as if you go in and out of game with any frequency you would have two separate councilors operating at a hugely reduced effectiveness for no reason. In my case, Steward only operating at 1/3 and Marshal at just under 1/2 of what should be their abilities.

Development Immediately Upon Load:
1.jpg

Development After Reassigning Task:
2.jpg

(Interestingly, the tooltip on the task icon seems to show the correct, larger value of the development gain, you have to look at the tooltip on the county itself to see the true, lower value. And I did go through a month to confirm that the lower value is what actually happens unless you reassign the councilor)
3.jpg

Control Immediately Upon Load:
4.jpg

Control After Reassigning Task:
5.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions:
I can second this, seeing this behavior in my game as well. Plus, this also affects the Increase Control action for your Marshal! These combined are a pretty big deal, as if you go in and out of game with any frequency you would have two separate councilors operating at a hugely reduced effectiveness for no reason. In my case, Steward only operating at 1/3 and Marshal at just under 1/2 of what should be their abilities.

Development Immediately Upon Load:
View attachment 754648

Development After Reassigning Task:
View attachment 754649

(Interestingly, the tooltip on the task icon seems to show the correct, larger value of the development gain, you have to look at the tooltip on the county itself to see the true, lower value. And I did go through a month to confirm that the lower value is what actually happens unless you reassign the councilor)
View attachment 754650

Control Immediately Upon Load:
View attachment 754651

Control After Reassigning Task:
View attachment 754652
You're the MVP! I forgot about the multiple tooltips and that could've caused confusion (also didn't know about the Control Task Bug)

So I ran some numbers and I now have a pretty strong theory about what is happening. The formulas for the bonus that councilors should be providing are laid out in the council_tasks files in the game data. My councilors are not my Friend or Rival, so the only factors that come in here are the standard base bonus and then the skill-scaled individual bonus on top.

Looking at the above screenshots, the Development bonus is 1.3 when it should be 3.9. My steward has a Stewardship of 22.
Using the formula derived from game files:
steward_develop_county_base + (0.175 * stewardship)
0.1 + (0.175 * 22)
0.1 + 3.85
3.95 (Looks like the game truncates this to 3.9 rather than properly rounding up to 4.0, but oh well)

But where does the erroneous 1.3 come from? If we take out the 0.1 steward_develop_county_base then it's
0.175 * x = 1.2
1.2 / 0.175 = 6.857

Accounting for rounding, we're looking at the game seeing a Stewardship value of 7...
6.jpg

Well would you look at that! (Ignore that his total stewardship is now 24, I went back in later to take this and obviously the base doesn't change anyways)

Similarly for the Marshal. Her Martial is 27.
marshal_increase_control_base + (martial / 30)
0.2 + (27 / 30)
0.2 + 0.9

But we are getting 0.5 instead of 1.1... Let's look at the base Martial:
7.jpg

0.2 + (10 / 30)
0.2 + 0.333333
0.53 (which gets rounded to 0.5)

Once again, a convincing match. So what I think is happening, is that the process of loading/executing scripts during game load is out of order, such that the calculation of councilor effects on counties happens before those councilors have themselves been fully processed to have all their skill bonuses applied. So on a freshly loaded game, essentially the councilors are only operating with the effectiveness of their unadjusted base stat, which is almost always going to be very lacking.

Reactions:
Heya! Thanks for the report, I've logged the issue in our database!

Keep up the good reports and voting, it helps a great deal in nailing down issues.

• 3Like
Reactions:
What's worse is this bug applies to your VASSALS as well. Using "switch ruler", you can see that, if they are in the middle of a develop county or increase control task and you re-assign them, the higher values are also applied.

In fact, you can switch to just about any ruler and see the same thing happening. So, across the board, every time you load the game, all stewards and marshals who started their tasks after your previous load have their progress rate reduced. As the game goes on, newly assigned tasks everywhere are much more efficient than ones that were in progress before you loaded the save.

In short, every time you load you are reducing the rate of control/development progress across the entire map.

edit: I shouldn't say reduced. There are often marshals/stewards with less than 10 skill. So for them there would actually be an increase in the rate of progress.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: