• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Metrinome

Sergeant
29 Badges
Jun 6, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
Short summary of your issue CK3 - All prisoners are mass released upon succession (1.2.2)

Game Version 1.2.2 [7864]

What OS are you playing on?
Windows

What platform are you using?
Steam

Do you have mods enabled? No

Have you tried verifying your game files (Steam only)?
No

How much "pain" is this causing you?

Please explain the issue you experienced in the most condensed way possible
If the ruler has or will inherit multiple top-level titles, and their current realm capitol is not within de jure land of their current primary title, then upon succession the primary title will be changed and all prisoners are mass-released.

Please explain how to reproduce the issue
I believe the problematic nature of this issue is best re-created by playing tribal, expanding large enough to cover several kingdom titles, and only have a single heir to inherit them all. Also move your realm capitol out of your primary kingdom title's de jure land. Upon succession, confederate partition occurs and new kingdom titles are created. The one that contains your capitol county becomes the primary title and all prisoners are mass-released. If one manually creates the correct kingdom title and makes it their primary title, this issue can be averted. However if a player possess the required number of counties but doesn't have the gold to create that kingdom title, then the mass-release of prisoners will be forced upon them whether they wish for it or not.

Is there anything else you think could help us identify/replicate the issue?
The save game I included is taken about a month before my current ruler is about to die. You can see how the prisoners are automatically released, and how this can be averted if you manually create the kingdom of Sweden and make it your primary title before ruler death.

I have attached a save game
Yes

Upload Attachment
File(s) attached

Attachments

• Lappland Temp 1.ck3
    14,1 MB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Same problem, version 1.4.2. It also seems to happen when a single heir stands to inherit multiple top-level titles and the primary is a bespoke title formed by event, regardless of whether your capital is within its de jure borders or not. I've attached "before" and "after" save files from a few days apart. (I knew the death date because 113-year-old Haesteinn has finished the health tree.)

Attachments

• King_Richard_of_Brittany_927_07_06.ck3
    11,8 MB · Views: 0
  • King_Hasteinn_of_Brittany_927_07_01.ck3
    11,8 MB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Same problem, version 1.4.2. It also seems to happen when a single heir stands to inherit multiple top-level titles and the primary is a bespoke title formed by event, regardless of whether your capital is within its de jure borders or not. I've attached "before" and "after" save files from a few days apart. (I knew the death date because 113-year-old Haesteinn has finished the health tree.)
To be clear, the "after" save file reflects that I had already changed the primary title back to event-formed Brittany, which includes what's normally West Francia. On succession, however, the primary title changed from Brittany to Burgundy, which was created by operation of the partition-based inheritance law, and all the prisoners were freed. You'll see it happen if you play a few days from the July 1 save file.

Hi there!

Thank you very much for the report! I have logged a ticket in our database for further investigation. Here's a haiku:

For a prisoner
When ruler finally dies
A chance for freedom

Good luck on your future endeavors in CK3!

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I found a possible work around for 1.4.4 that might be helpful. On the empire level (unsure about kingdoms), if you create the new title that will be the (forced) primary title of your heir and make that your current primary title, upon succession your heir should be able to retain all the prisoners of your previous ruler, then you can simply switch primary titles back to the old empire.

Last edited:
Any news on this? I was totally unaware of this and now I have an immense challenge in my ironman mother of us all run. An empty prison, an empty court, my army a quarter of its size and a lot of angry vasals..