• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cazalou

Recruit
1 Badges
Sep 3, 2020
  • Crusader Kings III
Short summary of your issue A Javascript error occured in the main process

Game Version 1.0.2

What OS are you playing on?
Windows

What platform are you using?
Steam

Do you have mods enabled? No

Have you tried verifying your game files (Steam only)?
Yes

How much "pain" is this causing you?

Please explain the issue you experienced in the most condensed way possible
Whenever I launch the game I get the following error : " A Javascript error occured in the main process" (see attachment for more details)

Browsing the forum for a possible fix I found one which is to close steam, uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility and then to delete the following folders :

- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Roaming/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/

After deleting these folders and opening Steam in admin mod I can launch the game successfully.
My issue is that I have to repeat this process every time I want to play and it fixes the issue for one launch only.

Please explain how to reproduce the issue
Launch the game

Is there anything else you think could help us identify/replicate the issue?

Upload Attachment
File(s) attached

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    53,5 KB · Views: 0
Hello all, I'm encountering the same error here, and the issues seem identical to the other thread I responded to @AndrewT, I figured it's more organized to keep the issues in existing threads as it seems to be an ongoing one.

We now have reports of this on AVG, Avast and possibly Kaspersky.

You need to make sure all these apps are in its exceptions lists:

dowser.exe (in the Steam CK3 folder)
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2020.16/paradox launcher.exe
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/bootstrapper-v2.exe

Good luck!

We now have reports of this on AVG, Avast and possibly Kaspersky.

You need to make sure all these apps are in its exceptions lists:

dowser.exe (in the Steam CK3 folder)
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2020.16/paradox launcher.exe
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/bootstrapper-v2.exe

Good luck!

Hey Andrew, thanks for your prompt reply, I was busy and couldn't get back to you, however I do not have AVG, Avast, nor Kaspersky on my machine, so there was nothing to grant exceptions to. I can provide you with some logs, which ones would you be looking for in particular? Thanks!

Hey Andrew, thanks for your prompt reply, I was busy and couldn't get back to you, however I do not have AVG, Avast, nor Kaspersky on my machine, so there was nothing to grant exceptions to. I can provide you with some logs, which ones would you be looking for in particular? Thanks!
Are you getting the exact same Java error seen in the OP here then? Or another Java error? or some other symptom entirely?

What AV app do you use?

Are you getting the exact same Java error seen in the OP here then? Or another Java error? or some other symptom entirely?

What AV app do you use?

Hey, apologies, it's not exactly the same, this is the one I get now after following the steps to delete the ones in the appdata folder, it worked once, and now it doesn't work at all. Seems that it happens across all Paradox games. This is the error I get when I try to launch CK3

1611165754892.png

and I get this one now when I try to launch Stellaris after manually removing the launcher files as per the instructions;

1611165817053.png

Edit: I also do not have any AV software at the moment either.

Last edited:
I see, so in fact your problem is nothing like the one discussed in this thread. In future can you please make a new thread of your own? Thanks.

Please try this:

- exit the Steam app entirely
- uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility, if still present.

Delete the following folders if still present:

To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

- run steam.exe as the Windows Admin user

- run the game from the PLAY button in Steam

IF that doesn't help, in this folder are some .log files:
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
Please attach them here.

I see, so in fact your problem is nothing like the one discussed in this thread. In future can you please make a new thread of your own? Thanks.

Please try this:

- exit the Steam app entirely
- uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility, if still present.

Delete the following folders if still present:

To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

- run steam.exe as the Windows Admin user

- run the game from the PLAY button in Steam

IF that doesn't help, in this folder are some .log files:
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
Please attach them here.

Sorry about all the confusion, this time it seems to have resolved the issue!

What I meant to say was previously; I had followed the instructions to delete all of the files in the AppData folders, and after another boot, it returned the errors in my post above.

This time, I did it again, and it seems the launcher is now functional, but needed to be updated again as well, so I had restarted the launcher again *after* it was re-installed from the Steam client, so it could take effect. It now seems to be fully functional, I've tried to launch the game on 3 more occasions and the error no longer recurs; hopefully this also helps anyone with similar issues in the past.

Thank you for your assistance @AndrewT it's *much* appreciated !!

[edit] it seems I spoke too soon, on the next attempt to open the game from steam this pop up appears,

1611201741078.png

when I select no, the following warning appears;

1611201699700.png

when I select yes and allow an installation, the same error above recurs after the installation is completed, I'm uncertain how to proceed at this point. hopefully the logs attached help!

@AndrewT sorry, I've edited it since the initial post and my issues are now recurring, I've attached new screenshots and files.

Attachments

• launcher-dowser.log
    2,8 KB · Views: 0
  • launcher-installer.log
    125 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Experiencing similar type of error.

But this started after i uninstalled the game and deleted the paradox folder from documents.

brief facts -

windows 11 with AMD ryzen 9 redeon graphics and 3050 ti nvidia graphics card

installed the game from xbox app under game pass with synced saved games.

reason why i reinstalled -
my game started crashing either after clicking play/resume from paradox launcher or after sometime in the loading stage just before the gamepaly appears.
i tried to check for errors, switching vsync on off, rendering from dx11 to vulcan, etc etc nothing worked. all my other games from steam and fifa from ea are working smoothly.
Screenshot 2023-06-15 010858.png

That is a quite different error than the original one in this thread, which was from 3 years ago. Best in future to make a new thread, thanks.

That looks like a Windows permissions issue in fact. Can you set that cpatch.ee to run as the Windows Admin user?