Duplicate CK III - 1.1.3 - All leased holding "Realm bonuses" are applied to the wrong characters' realm

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tombozo

Private
80 Badges
Jul 22, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines
Short summary of your issue 1.1.3 - All leased holding "Realm bonuses" are applied to the wrong characters' realm

Game Version 1.1.3

What OS are you playing on?
Windows

What platform are you using?
Steam

Do you have mods enabled? No

Have you tried verifying your game files (Steam only)?
Yes

How much "pain" is this causing you?

Please explain the issue you experienced in the most condensed way possible
Leased temple holdings are part of the holder's realm, but their realm bonuses are applied to the lessee instead of to the holder.

Please explain how to reproduce the issue
Before I start, I've seen it argued on various forums that this is in fact intended behavior. This is false. It is most definitely a bug because there are no less than three in-game tooltips that all agree with each other and all clearly state that the mechanic is supposed to work a certain way, that is contrary to how it actually works.

You can reproduce this bug by starting a new game as virtually any Catholic ruler, in either start date. For a specific example, make a new game from the 867 start as Petty King Æthelred Æthelwulfson of Wessex. You will have 10 leased temple holdings within your domain, 4 of which have buildings that give realm bonuses. Those 4 are Brentford (in Middle Seaxe), Chichester (in Sussex), Dunmow (in East Seaxe), and Canterbury (in Kent). The first 3 of those have a Prayer Hall (Monasteries) building, and the last one has the special Canterbury Cathedral.

Open Brentford's holding view by clicking it on the map, or by opening Lunden's county view and selecting Brentford's holding tab. You can repeat this for the other 3 temples holdings listed above and you will find the same thing. You should see "Brentford, Your Temple Holding" followed by a bunch of stats for this particular holding. In the rightmost building slot you will see an icon for Prayer Halls. Mouse over that for the first relevant tooltip:

Tooltip 1, "Prayer Halls (Monasteries) Building", lists a bonus of +0.1 Piety per month to "Your Realm".

Now in the same holding view that shows the building slots, you there is a portrait of your Bishop in the lower left corner. To the right of his portrait are three icons - a church, a piety cross, and a number representing however much piety the holding is currently generating (in this case +0.1). Mouse over any of those three icons and you will find the second relevant tooltip:

Tooltip 2, "Church Holdings", lists your bishop as lessee and yourself as holder. It also lists "Effects from Buildings (for you)" and displays the same +0.1 piety per month (or +0.3 piety per month alongside many other bonuses if you repeat this for Canterbury). If you look at a temple holding outside your domain, for example the Taunton temple in Somerset (which belongs to your only feudal vassal) you will find that the "Church Holdings" tooltip instead lists "Effects from Buildings (for Earl Alfred)". By listing "you", or your feudal vassal by name, instead of listing you or your vassal's bishop, this tooltip strongly implies that the bonus should be going to the feudal lord who holds the temple rather than the bishop who leases it.

Now look again at any "Church Holdings" tooltip. Lock it in place, and then mouse over the word "Lessee" to open the third and most important tooltip:

Tooltip 3, "Leasing", states that "Leased Holdings are still considered part of the holder's Realm." Since Tooltip 2 lists you as holder for all temples in your domain, this clearly indicates that the temple holdings are considered part of your realm (and not part of your bishop's realm) and therefore all realm bonuses should apply to you instead of to your bishop.

In practice, it is easy to verify that no leased temple realm bonuses are correctly applied to any feudal lords. They are all incorrectly applied to the leasing bishop. In this specific case you should be getting +0.1 piety per month for each of your three Prayer Halls, and you also hold the Canterbury Cathedral which should give +0.3 piety per month, +0.2 piety per month additionally per powerful vassal on your council, +5% monthly renown, and +5% control growth. If you look at your piety you will find that none of these bonuses are being applied, and you will find the same thing if you inspect your renown, or the county control anywhere in your domain

You can also manually calculate how much piety your bishop should be generating to verify that yes, the piety bonuses for all temple holdings are being mistakenly applied to the bishop instead of you. In the super-specific case of the save file I've attached, your bishop gains +3.2 piety per month. This is accounted for by his 16 Learning (+1.6), being chaplain for a Duke (+1), the three Prayer Halls (+0.1 each, +0.3 for all three) and Canterbury Cathedral (+0.3, and no additional +0.2 bonuses because the bishop has no powerful vassals or council). There doesn't appear to be any way to verify that the non-piety bonuses from Canterbury Cathedral are being applied to the leasing bishop, but it's reasonable to assume that they are given that they are not being correctly applied and the piety portion of the bonus is going to that character.

In conclusion, the game is super specific in its in-game tooltips that you should be getting piety (and sometimes other bonuses) from your leased temple holdings, but instead everything goes to the bishop who has leased the temple instead of you, the holder and realm owner of the holding. This is a major issue as it severely reduces the piety income of nearly all secular characters far below what it was obviously intended to be, making major portions of the game (such as reforming religion) much more difficult to access than they should be. It also renders a number of special religious buildings functionally useless as their bonuses are applied to the wrong character, who often literally cannot make any use of them whatsoever because they lack the relevant stat that the bonus is applied to.

TLDR:
-"Church Holdings" tooltip lists bishop as Lessee, you as Holder.
-"Church Holdings" tooltip also lists these same realm bonuses as "Effects from buildings (for you)"
-"Leasing" tooltip says "Leased Holdings are still considered part of the holder's Realm."
-Building tooltip for Monasteries or special religious buildings list bonuses to "Your Realm".
-None of these bonuses are correctly applied. If you add up the sources of piety you will find that they are all erroneously applied to your bishop, the lessee, instead of to you, the holder and person whose realm the holding is in.

Is there anything else you think could help us identify/replicate the issue?
It can be replicated by starting a new game as any ruler at any start date, the bug will be present and applied throughout the world on countless characters.

I have attached a save game
Yes

Upload Attachment
File(s) attached

Attachments

• Bonus Verification - County Control.jpg
    Bonus Verification - County Control.jpg
    883,5 KB · Views: 0
  • Bonus Verification - Holder Piety.jpg
    Bonus Verification - Holder Piety.jpg
    878,7 KB · Views: 0
  • Bonus Verification - Holder Renown.jpg
    Bonus Verification - Holder Renown.jpg
    902,2 KB · Views: 0
  • Bonus Verification - Lessee Piety.jpg
    Bonus Verification - Lessee Piety.jpg
    794,3 KB · Views: 0
  • Cerdicing_867_01_01.ck3
    3,2 MB · Views: 0
  • Tooltip 1 (alternate), Canterbury Cathedral Building.jpg
    Tooltip 1 (alternate), Canterbury Cathedral Building.jpg
    868,3 KB · Views: 0
  • Tooltip 1, Prayer Halls Building.jpg
    Tooltip 1, Prayer Halls Building.jpg
    872,3 KB · Views: 0
  • Tooltip 2 (Alternate), Church Holdings (in someone else's domain).jpg
    Tooltip 2 (Alternate), Church Holdings (in someone else's domain).jpg
    812,3 KB · Views: 0
  • Tooltip 2, Church Holdings.jpg
    Tooltip 2, Church Holdings.jpg
    889,7 KB · Views: 0
  • Tooltip 3, Leasing.jpg
    Tooltip 3, Leasing.jpg
    888 KB · Views: 0
  • 5Like
Reactions:
This issue persists in 1.2.1.

By my count this is the 4th thread about that mentions the issues with leased holdings specifically (and not just hemming and hawing about what "realm bonus" actually means).

Reactions:
It really is pretty frustrating how such a blatant and obvious issue has persisted for so long. I could understand if they didn't realize there was an issue during development and balanced the game accordingly. In that case they should just correct the tooltips so that they don't lie to the player.

Either way, it boggles the mind how this is not treated as a high priority.

Edit: Actually, now that I check the game, the tooltips have been changed, but only partially.

holding1.png

The building itself now correctly tells you the holder of the holding gets the benefit, but another tooltip for the holding still lies by saying you get the benefits. Compare this to OP's screenshots and see the difference in 1.2.1.

I assumed nothing had been changed, since I didn't notice anything about this in the patch notes. Either I missed it or someone forgot to write it down. Still, less lies is an improvement over all lies, I guess?

Last edited:
The text change doesn't actually address anything because, as the right side of that 1.2.1 screenshot shows, YOU ARE STILL THE HOLDER of leased holdings (a notion which is reinforced by the "Lessee" encyclopedia entry, which states: "Leased baronies provide Taxes and Levies to the Lessee rather than the Holder").

And while I know that changing the (still incorrect) documentation will be much easier than actually fixing this bug and addressing the resulting balance change (much higher piety income, major power shift from Lay Clergy to Theocratic), I really hope this is resolved in a way that seems to match the apparent design intent -- that leased holdings are still YOUR toys, you just let the church play with them.

If I hold the many temples of Rome but am gracious enough to let the church use them to fill their pockets, that SHOULD impress the clergy; I should get that Piety (not to mention the cases of unique buildings like Canterbury and Vaticano that are rendered completely useless by Theocracy while this bug persists).

Reactions:
Still present and it's quite a serious bug. Not sure why it's not getting the attention it deserves. A bug buried for 4 months? Come on PI :(

Last edited:
Reactions:
Still present and it's quite a serious bug. Not sure why it's not getting the attention it deserves. A bug buried for 4 months? Come on PI :(
This issue is atrocious and I didn't even know about it. This SHOULD be a priority fix for them as it affects a fundamental aspect of the game. However, they routinely bury large issues and never comment on them at all. I found multiple cases of BUGGED LEVY NUMBERS awhile back and they haven't mentioned it officially or even responded: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...e-broken-and-erroneous.1452672/#post-27238439

• 1Like
Reactions:
This issue is atrocious and I didn't even know about it. This SHOULD be a priority fix for them as it affects a fundamental aspect of the game. However, they routinely bury large issues and never comment on them at all. I found multiple cases of BUGGED LEVY NUMBERS awhile back and they haven't mentioned it officially or even responded: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...e-broken-and-erroneous.1452672/#post-27238439
Just posted in that thread too and upvote it. So we could get an answer at last.

• 1Love
Reactions:
For all of you playing along at home, I re-reported the bug for 1.3 and was told that it's a known issue, for whatever that's worth.

• 1Like
Reactions:
For all of you playing along at home, I re-reported the bug for 1.3 and was told that it's a known issue, for whatever that's worth.

Yeah, it's a known issue since November though.
Thanks for re-reporting it anyway!

I posted a bug report within a week of release in September, stating that absolute control was giving a bugged tooltip for tax income and wasn't doing anything at all for levy size. It was only addressed in 1.3.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
I posted a bug report within a week of release in September, stating that absolute control was giving a bugged tooltip for tax income and wasn't doing anything at all for levy size. It was only addressed in 1.3.
I think I remember your post! I guess 5+ months is the turnaround time...I wonder if my bug has something to with control levels...

Status
Not open for further replies.