Civic Inventions Tree Preference

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

IsaacCAT

Field Marshal
141 Badges
Oct 24, 2018
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
Every time I start a run when I look at the inventions tree I always choose the civic one for the trade, assimilation, promotion and other bonuses. It is something related to my playstyle? Have you found yourself loving one tree also?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Military for the siege bonuses. I don't know why but I've no patience for sieges in IR, so I just want them to be as quick as possible. It's just a stack standing on a city with a counter rolling.

Then just for play style afterwards anything that increases slave output, unintegrated culture happiness and building costs. The building rework is so good in 2.0, but I would like some proper artwork like buildings in Attila Total War have

I know trade gets the player lots of money but until a trade system is implemented in a relatable way with shipping lanes and trade fleets I don't ever use trade guided play style

• 10Like
Reactions:
I haven't even played 10 hours yet, but so far I've mostly focused on the military one, getting discipline and training up.

But the civic does look juicy, as well as the path set out by @AggaWackTan . I'll consider more of both going forward.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Maybe it is because i am playing in normal difficulty and I do not deteste sieges like @AggaWackTan but the military tree is not that appealing. Also, it seems redundant with military traditions.

I am stil on my first playtrough but I am sure I will change my invention progression focus in different playtrough according to need. I am now playing a small greek colony tag and am focusing mostly on trade, but also increasing diplomatic reputation and alliances, then increasing my naval power. I am sure if I play as e.g. one of the diadochi, my focus would be entirely different.

• 2Like
Reactions:
It depends on the faction you play as too. For the roman campaign I spend all the initial innovation points in military to resemble their militancy but as I expand I'll adjust to civic and religious tech tree inventions.

I started a seleucid campaign as well to get a feeling and I found I really wanted to use the religious tree. There are a lot of unintegrated culture bonuses in that tree like the 'syncretism' ones that reduce the urgency of assimilating everyone.

The tributary innovations (I think they're in the oratory tree) could make for great gameplay too, but that will have to wait for a subject interaction tab to be made by the Devs first before i really play with them.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I spend my staring 8 in zeal if I'm a monarchy. It gives you access to the law that gives +30% assimilation and +0.25 assimilation.

Then next one's in laws that give conversion speed.

• 5Like
Reactions:
It is surely partly dependant on the played on the nation, but I assume the economic field (and to a lesser extend the miliatry one, too) are more likely to see early investing. It is not that religious or oratory inventions are useless or underpowered...it is more a thing of what has priority. Civil inventions help with gold and building up infrastructure faster/cheaper - and if there is time in the game where money is extremly tight, it is the start. Some extra trade routes and buffs to tax income help you to get past that period. Diving into the military trees might help you getting the expansion by conquest going (what is the way most IR games play out).

The hour of religious and oratory inventions comes later - ensuring character loyalty, improved food production, reducing AE/War score costs, improved diplomacy, sources for pop happiness becomes more and more important when the game has progressed a bit and you already have grown.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've been using the siege tree a lot. Rapidly taking crucial forts and occupying swathes of land gives a bunch of warscore, and by dominating the seas I can ferry troops around and siege forts faster than they can un-siege them. I have unironically picked a bunch of naval ideas, which is a meme in most other games, to facilitate this. Using these tactics I have beaten the Antigonids (who had swallowed Macedon) and Egypt as Crete, simply by dropping off landing parties to quickly siege down a fort and dip out again before the cavalry arrives.
In other words: I have created the bronze age sea peoples.

Last edited:
  • 11Love
  • 8Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
If you're small you want to take the ones that give you more income so you can use mercenaries. The aggressive expansion ones seem nice as well if you expand quickly. The fort defense or siege ones might be good too at the start so you can finish your sieges before the ai does incase they slip past your army.

I think that army movement speed and force march is probably a must if your country is large because it takes a while before your levies get there. From my experience fighting Rome the ai tends to chicken out and peace out once you start beating their armies. Unfortunately by the time you get there with your levies and start beating their armies they will have taken a province or two so when the ai chickens out they simply peace out and take your province(s).

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've been using the siege tree a lot. Rapidly taking crucial forts and occupying swathes of land gives a bunch of warscore, and by dominating the seas I can ferry troops around and siege forts faster than they can un-siege them. I have unironically picked a bunch of naval ideas, which is a meme in most other games, to facilitate this. I have beaten the Antigonids (who had swallowed Macedon) as Crete by dropping off landing parties to quickly siege down a fort and dip out again before the cavalry arrives.
In other words: I have created the bronze age collapse sea peoples.
I think that I will try this as Carthage and focus on my navy with inventions and military traditions and see where it leads me.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I think that I will try this as Carthage and focus on my navy with inventions and military traditions and see where it leads me.
Should work well for Carthage too, though they already have a sizeable army so you can also just straight up fight them and come out on top.
The beauty of this strategy is that it allows you to win very asymmetric engagements. I have like 300 integrated pops, but because they all live on Aegean islands behind my wooden wall the diadochi hordes can't do anything.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Should work well for Carthage too, though they already have a sizeable army so you can also just straight up fight them and come out on top.
The beauty of this strategy is that it allows you to win very asymmetric engagements. I have like 300 integrated pops, but because they all live on Aegean islands behind my wooden wall the diadochi hordes can't do anything.
I do something similar with Carthage if I want to play defensively. I take Corsica and Sicily which allows me to force Rome to use a navy that I can beat and if need be I can just park a navy inbetween Sicily and Southern Italy preventing armies from crossing into Sicily. In 2.0 with Rome being so aggressive and powerful this seems to be the safest option as well and build up your armies behind the wooden wall until you can backstab them when they're busy fighting on the other side of their land. Out of curiosity which ship type do you use?

• 4Like
Reactions:
I do something similar with Carthage if I want to play defensively. I take Corsica and Sicily which allows me to force Rome to use a navy that I can beat and if need be I can just park a navy inbetween Sicily and Southern Italy preventing armies from crossing into Sicily. In 2.0 with Rome being so aggressive and powerful this seems to be the safest option as well and build up your armies behind the wooden wall until you can backstab them when they're busy fighting on the other side of their land. Out of curiosity which ship type do you use?
I've only been using Liburnians and Triremes because my economy is not that strong. Boosting them with inventions and traditions makes them good enough, and wonders like the Agropolis of Rhodes increase their survivability and blockading capacity. Inventions like "River Barges" in the civic tree are also nice to boost their speed, which is what really gives you the edge.
Crete also has a heritage for fort defense, which is another good stat to boost to make sure your forts hold out longer than theirs.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've only been using Liburnians and Triremes because my economy is not that strong. Boosting them with inventions and traditions makes them good enough, and wonders like the Agropolis of Rhodes increase their survivability and blockading capacity. Inventions like "River Barges" in the civic tree are also nice to boost their speed, which is what really gives you the edge.
Crete also has a heritage for fort defense, which is another good stat to boost to make sure your forts hold out longer than theirs.
Yeah I have been thinking myself of either going Liburnians or Triremes. While Triremes are stronger then Liburnians they're slower and have higher maintenance so I'm leaning atm towards Liburnians simply for their speed and cheaper maintenance.

Already built one? I have barely touched the interface one time
They're pretty good if you can afford them. My main problem is that I haven't really figured out yet how to increase my income enough to afford the normal buildings with the little income you now get in 2.0 and the normal buildings being not that good for extra income. I suppose sacking cities might be worth it now for the money.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Already built one? I have barely touched the interface one time
Yes the pre-built one. I admit I only found out it existed after I conquered Rhodes.
Also mildly suprising that the Rhodian acropolis is a wonder but the Athenian or Corinthian ones aren't. Shouldn't the colossus still be around?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yes the pre-built one. I admit I only found out it existed after I conquered Rhodes.
Also mildly suprising that the Rhodian acropolis is a wonder but the Athenian or Corinthian ones aren't. Shouldn't the colossus still be around?
I annexed Rhodes with the Colossus once. The interface allows you to destroy wonders, maybe a vengeful AI destroyed it.

It sounds like most people are unlocking 1 major focus at a time - like going down the whole military tree before doing others - is that right?
I'm still doing one by one - each time an innovation unlocks, I choose one from that focus. I know it's not required, but I guess it's a habit.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions: