• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gryphyn3

Recruit
13 Badges
May 5, 2021
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
Describe your issue
Launcher Black Screen

What is your game version?
Not sure, launcher is black. Nothing is showing.

What expansions do you have installed?

What mods are you using?
Unable to disable, can't even launch game.

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
Played a few days ago, all worked fine, then today, went to play and the launcher launches and then turns black. And again, unable to disable mods as I can't even launch the game to get to the menu.

Can you replicate the issue? If yes, please explain how you did it.
I uninstalled the game, and reinstalled it was the same issue. Attached is the screenshot of the launcher. I use two monitors, so look at the left side.

I tried the pinned instructions to fix the issue from the steam discussion board but they are outdated.

Attachments File(s) attached

Attachments

• 2021-05-05.png
    2021-05-05.png
    3,1 MB · Views: 0
  • 2Like
Reactions:
We are aware of the issue that's currently affecting some customers. We're looking into it but sadly have no estimate on when it will be sorted. For now though what you could try is the following:

1. Disconnect from the internet
2. Start the launcher and sign out (if you're still signed in)
3. Reconnect and see if the launcher loads as normal (we think the issue is the account login part)

If it doesn't, then running the .exe file from the installation directory or running the game whilst offline is the current workaround until we have it fixed.

Sorry about that!

I have the same problem now. It was working about 3 hours ago but now the screen is just black when I open it. I tried doing the --noWorkshop test in the launching options, same problem so it's probably not the mods.

We are aware of the issue that's currently affecting some customers. We're looking into it but sadly have no estimate on when it will be sorted. For now though what you could try is the following:

3. Reconnect and see if the launcher loads as normal (we think the issue is the account login part)

If it doesn't, then running the .exe file from the installation directory or running the game whilst offline is the current workaround until we have it fixed.

Sorry about that!
By the way, I wanted to add that I also tried what you suggested above, but still no luck :(

• 2Like
Reactions:

Sorry about that!
doesnt help, but if internet is offline launcher is working

I'm having the same issue. Trying to play Cities Skylines and it loads the launcher, which for a split second looks normal, and then it's just a black window. Tried disabling internet but that itself is interfering with trying to stream my gameplay to a friend, so...

I've played this game for so many hundreds of hours over these 5-6 years and this is the very first time I haven't been able to start the game. Very, very disappointed in whatever this bug is and how it's even possible.

Last edited:
Hi Plannermagee,
Same. Hope they fix it soon as launching directly from exe is not my kind of liking. I'll create a desktop shortcut for now to the exe.

This is unacceptable.

I've seen a few reports on Steam that following the steps in this article solved the issue.

The launcher problem is fixed here now. If you still see it, exit and restart Steam.