Cities: Skylines (Steam) - Every 2nd time I start the game, all mods disappear

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GeowolfNL

Recruit
23 Badges
Mar 24, 2020
  • Cities in Motion
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Magicka
Description
Every 2nd time I start the game, all mods disappear

What is your game version?
1.13.0-f8

What expansions do you have installed?
All of them

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
Every second time I start the game, the following happens:

- all assets activate (I usually don't always activate all subscribed assets
- my list of mods is empty (I use a few dozen)
- the building style "european-vanilla" is deactivated, the others are activated.

When I restart the game, the mods are visible again, but it takes me 10 minutes to reselect all the assets and mods that I want (de)activated.

After playing a city and closing the game, the next time I start it, the problem occurs again from the top.

Having to do this every time I play kinda takes the fun out of it. Is there anyone who knows what causes this behaviour?

Upvote 0
Please Attach the ouputlog. One time when you start and it has no Mods - and the other time when you restart. So we get two versions and see maybe what the diffrent is.

Here are both files. I tried having a look myself, but I'm not really sure where to look in them, as there is so much text.

Attachments

• output_log_MODS.txt
    950,5 KB · Views: 0
  • output_log_NOMODS.txt
    1 MB · Views: 0
When you see no mods, it's because the file userGameState.cgs isn't found. It's either getting corrupted or Windows thinks it's an empty file and deletes it. I'm not sure why this happens, but make sure that Cities.exe is whitelisted for your antivirus software, so at least it isn't an issue with the game saving info to the file.

Next time it happens, I suggest enabling/disabling everything like you want it, then shut the game down and make a backup of the file to keep somewhere else on your computer. Then start the game to see if everything stayed enabled. Now you can copy the file back into its folder instead of having to enable/disable everything each time. It isn't a fix, but it makes it a little less annoying to deal with. You will also need to make a new copy of the file every time you add a mod that needs to be enabled.

You can find the file here: C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines