• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

kiolloo

Recruit
May 1, 2021
Describe your issue
Can't make any new saves for any map

What is your game version?
1.13.1-f1

What expansions do you have installed?
(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

What mods are you using?
none

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
I'm starting playing Cities again this year and resumed one of my old cities but when I tried to save my progress nothing happened. I tried to make a new map but that wouldn't save either. I have no way of saving a

Can you replicate the issue? If yes, please explain how you did it.
yes, I reinstalled the game and restarted my PC but nothing changed. I can not save any progress on anything map (New or Old).

Attachments File(s) attached

Attachments

• NewSave.crp
    10,2 MB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
What exactly happens when you do a manual save? Any error show up?

What antivirus app do you use? Make sure cities.exe is in its exceptions lists.

Please gather both these two informational files, and attach them here:

...\Steam\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines\Cities_Data\output_log.txt

DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Hey,

When I manually save the words "saving" appear on the top right corner but when I select load game, no new save is made. (quicksave and auto-save do not work)
No error pops up.
cities is on the exception list.
There isn't a file named output_log.txt in the cities_data Folder.

Thanks

There isn't a file named output_log.txt in the cities_data Folder.
It must be there as the game runs, assuming you are on Windows. Depending on your File Explorer settings it may display as just output_log

What antivirus app do you use?

From the output log:
Code:
System.UnauthorizedAccessException Access to the path "C:\Users\micha\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines\gameSettings.cgs.bck" is denied.

UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\Users\micha\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines\continue_game.json" is denied.
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream:.ctor (string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare)
  at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor (System.String path, Boolean append, System.Text.Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor (System.String path, Boolean append, System.Text.Encoding encoding) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.StreamWriter:.ctor (string,bool,System.Text.Encoding)
  at System.IO.File.WriteAllText (System.String path, System.String contents, System.Text.Encoding encoding) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.File.WriteAllText (System.String path, System.String contents) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at SavePanel+<SaveGame>c__Iterator1.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Last edited:
Yep, clearly a file system access issue. Are you 100% sure you only have Windows Defender?

Add cities.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.