• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

jakub.solty

Recruit
Jun 25, 2018
Hi all,

I am exited about this expansion! Cant wait! :) I would like to ask you 2 questions please:
1 - how to approach ,,old,, yellow zoned general industry buildings when it comes to new 4 types of specialized industry chains? Should we still build them in the city? Less amount? Will workers prefer to go there or to the new chain industries?
2 - should we also connect some transportation to every industry zoned area we create? Or the workers will go there automatically - I saw youtube that once the lets say tree plantation is placed, it starts accumulating workers automatically slowly. So is transportation to the are important?

Thank you very much for some reply :D

Last edited:

Dezelles

Private
10 Badges
Apr 4, 2015
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
@co_emmi
Thank you for your answers, even if they grieve me a little.

The presence of resources is unavoidable for Forest, Ore and Oil, but the man knew how to adapt different cultures according to the quality of the grounds which he had. The system (growable) of the specializations requires fertile lands, but the Industries system (ploppable) would make it possible to get out of them. By reducing yields and limiting accessible levels, possibly adaptable by specific policies ("Use of fertilizers and pesticides", "Organic farming", "Transgenic crops"...), the interest of the resources would be preserved while widening the options of players, including by the development of an offshore "farming". I propose you to rethink for a future patch.

About oil special products from farming, there is no technical difficulty since it's just a matter of authorizing the establishment of Processing Buildings for Plastics and Petroleum in an agricultural area and, to be complete, also in a Forestry area (Biomass Pellet Plant, for example, could very well produce Petroleum). There would be no distinction of these products in the rest of the production chain (even if it could have been used to supply Green Cities biofuel buses). The only "technical difficulty" would be to adapt the info panel to show more than 2 special products. I propose you, again, to rethink for a future patch.

Contrary to what Avanya seems to think, it's not a question of complicating management, but, from my point of view, of "simplifying" it by proposing alternatives. I don't wish that the choice of the visual impact the type of production: if a player wants to make clothes with potatoes or tails of cherries, it's his problem. :cool: But that we can replace certain exhaustible resources with renewable resources seems to me a strategic issue in the development of a city. With that in mind, I would also have liked to have Recycling Centers providing Metals and Glass.

Which brings me to a more general digression on DLC. I understand very well the need for each DLC to be independent of others, and the meaning of your answer to Glitcher in the Dev Diary #5. I don't want to say stupidity, but it seems to me that you can set only one RequiredDLC for assets.
But couldn't you create identified mini-expansions that would use features or assets of one or more DLCs? For example: helicopter or cycling tours (Natural Disasters or After Dark + Parklife), Recycling centers providing Special products (Green Cities + Industries), Woodfall (Snowfall + Industries), Sports (Parklife)... You could market these mini-expansions or offer them as a bonus, which would renew interest in old expansions. :rolleyes:

To return to Industries, I mentioned previously other Luxury products. On this point, I could see the complete list that actually contains Sneakers and Clothes and several other very interesting products (Printing Products, Steel Products, Fuels, Shipyard ...): I find it varied and balanced. Although I also hope that we will be able to edit new Unique Factories, with other combinations of Special Products.

It also allowed me to better understand what each Special Product included and, again, I think it's almost enough. "Almost", because I remain convinced that "Fruits and vegetables" should exist, not for the type of products that it provides, but for the transport alternative that it would offer: directly from the extractor to shops, possibly using warehouses.

I'm totally convinced of the interest of this expansion. I just wanted to give you some suggestions to further increase its interest (in my opinion), without penalizing the gameplay, nor requiring lengthy developments.

Keltia_Vikinga

Major
14 Badges
Mar 6, 2015
cimfrance.blogspot.com
  • Surviving Mars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
@co_emmi
Thank you for your answers, even if they grieve me a little.

The presence of resources is unavoidable for Forest, Ore and Oil, but the man knew how to adapt different cultures according to the quality of the grounds which he had. The system (growable) of the specializations requires fertile lands, but the Industries system (ploppable) would make it possible to get out of them. By reducing yields and limiting accessible levels, possibly adaptable by specific policies ("Use of fertilizers and pesticides", "Organic farming", "Transgenic crops"...), the interest of the resources would be preserved while widening the options of players, including by the development of an offshore "farming". I propose you to rethink for a future patch.

About oil special products from farming, there is no technical difficulty since it's just a matter of authorizing the establishment of Processing Buildings for Plastics and Petroleum in an agricultural area and, to be complete, also in a Forestry area (Biomass Pellet Plant, for example, could very well produce Petroleum). There would be no distinction of these products in the rest of the production chain (even if it could have been used to supply Green Cities biofuel buses). The only "technical difficulty" would be to adapt the info panel to show more than 2 special products.
if theres no mechanics related with green cities stores and other -new stuff - I don't see much interest since trees are renewable resources

I think Green cities buses are the only biofuel while others are electric cars, no interest in distinguish oil and biofuel for those industries then....

About expansions, why would they do that when I think to all special prices more than one time in a year.....
that' would be waste of time for Paradox and its better for the player to get the full content...
and prices for CS DLC's are correct, imo.

Last edited:

Avanya

Asset creator
Community Ambassador
13 Badges
Dec 8, 2015
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Cities in Motion 2
@co_emmiWhich brings me to a more general digression on DLC. I understand very well the need for each DLC to be independent of others, and the meaning of your answer to Glitcher in the Dev Diary #5. I don't want to say stupidity, but it seems to me that you can set only one RequiredDLC for assets. But couldn't you create identified mini-expansions that would use features or assets of one or more DLCs? For example: helicopter or cycling tours (Natural Disasters or After Dark + Parklife), Recycling centers providing Special products (Green Cities + Industries), Woodfall (Snowfall + Industries), Sports (Parklife)... You could market these mini-expansions or offer them as a bonus, which would renew interest in old expansions. :rolleyes:
I really really hope they never do that. It isn't that I don't want those features, I'm just very much against the idea of DLCs requiring other DLCs to work - and making them require 2 just makes that even worse. I'd much rather see something where the main features aren't tied to a DLC, but then if you own another DLC it adds a bit for that. For example have walking tours on a snow map be people skiing instead of walking. They'd function the exact same way, it would just be another animation for people on the walking tours. Another example would be recycling centers picking a specific resource when Industries is enabled instead of just "oil resource" (not actually sure that this isn't already the case). That way DLCs wouldn't be required, but a bonus. Ofc that means the features have to be smaller as it has to be worth the dev time when it's not a main feature.

Dezelles

Private
10 Badges
Apr 4, 2015
I really really hope they never do that. It isn't that I don't want those features, I'm just very much against the idea of DLCs requiring other DLCs to work - and making them require 2 just makes that even worse. I'd much rather see something where the main features aren't tied to a DLC, but then if you own another DLC it adds a bit for that. For example have walking tours on a snow map be people skiing instead of walking. They'd function the exact same way, it would just be another animation for people on the walking tours. Another example would be recycling centers picking a specific resource when Industries is enabled instead of just "oil resource" (not actually sure that this isn't already the case). That way DLCs wouldn't be required, but a bonus. Ofc that means the features have to be smaller as it has to be worth the dev time when it's not a main feature.
We agree. I only wanted to propose a technical solution that allows to evolve DLC functionalities when they have an impact or interest in a new DLC.

Keltia_Vikinga

Major
14 Badges
Mar 6, 2015
cimfrance.blogspot.com
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
Can't be lack of interest when are special prices....

Either the DLC content is interesting for tthe gamer and so he will buy full price or on special price
Either the DLC content is not interesting and then, the player will never buy.

DLC also means the player can make choices and probably its not in base game because some people won't use
i think to snowfall for example... but DLC could also mean time to create stuff for the devs, i guess...
like free updates could mean some attempts as well such as match day- probably as for DLC - that Parklife system reproduced in industries

I wouldn't like mini expansions all the time - thats kinda what is doing EA btw at least with the Sims 4 ...
more more more expansions with lack of content and sick prices .....Good strategy, I stopped to buy stuff there
Meanwhile some fire sum devs, some others like Paradox & their strategy are able to keep the devs working on a game project for quite some times in addition of keeping the game active and satisfying the gamers, also by listening to the community (unlike some others, again, a pity)

For the Sims 3 was that digital store for people to buy asset one by one - No thanks. as I am also against that marketing idea used for world of warcraft or that one for russian fishing...

Paradox strategy is the right one for me. My main problem with them is when can I play other games (including Surviving Mars :p) when new CS content is :D
That's a real problem! héhé but how good to see when a publisher is in his role supporting the devs, satisfying the users

I can only support.

Do not change, Paradox.

Fox_NS_CAN

General
1 Badges
Oct 26, 2016
  • Major Wiki Contributor
I wouldn't like mini expansions all the time
I would not want it all the time, and I suppose it could easily turn into a slippery slope that nobody wants CS to go down. I don't want to have to keep paying for every little thing.

That said, I sometimes think that some small packs I could be okay with.

One example: I wouldn't mind a "Planes and Trains" pack. Small rural airstrip with a few small aircraft. Throw in something like a Dash 8 or Q400 at the main airport, maybe an E190 type.
Trains... add a 2-track and/or 3-track station for passengers. Maybe a smaller rural station. Add a 2-track and/or 3-track station for Cargo. If it isn't too much, maybe a few models for cargo trains depending on the cargo. Lastly, some multi track metro stations. = # X +

Keltia_Vikinga

Major
14 Badges
Mar 6, 2015
cimfrance.blogspot.com
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
I assume the Concerts DLC wasn't too popular, or we would have seen more of these.
I can't say since am not checking Paradox Economy but they can make their opinion from those attempts, I guess

I loved Concerts DLC, mainly with the update that came after the release but thats probably because am Culture supporter.
However, even mini DLC would need more content again.

I would not want it all the time, and I suppose it could easily turn into a slippery slope that nobody wants CS to go down. I don't want to have to keep paying for every little thing.
We agree then.

Promethian

General
40 Badges
Feb 2, 2016
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
I assume the Concerts DLC wasn't too popular, or we would have seen more of these.
They aren't doing more of things like Concerts because they have improved on the concept. See Parklife and soon Industries.

victor55

Recruit
10 Badges
Jan 23, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
industries DLC installed and able to see the options and click on them. The main building for each type places OK, but when I try to place additional buildings the put up a message "not in industry area" even though they are next to the main building. Have tried making new districts but still no luck. Have uninstalled all mods and still no luck! At my wits end trying to work this one out as I am convinced this DLC is go going to be an advatgae once it works. Desktop pc win 10 latest update installed. i7-7700K 32Gb Ram.

co_emmi

Captain
1 Badges
Sep 22, 2014
  • Colossal Order Staff
industries DLC installed and able to see the options and click on them. The main building for each type places OK, but when I try to place additional buildings the put up a message "not in industry area" even though they are next to the main building. Have tried making new districts but still no luck. Have uninstalled all mods and still no luck! At my wits end trying to work this one out as I am convinced this DLC is go going to be an advatgae once it works. Desktop pc win 10 latest update installed. i7-7700K 32Gb Ram.
Have you checked you are painting an Industry area, not a district area (or specialization)? And the area is big enough that the buildings fit in there?

victor55

Recruit
10 Badges
Jan 23, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
Many thanks for your help! Correct answer. Perhaps at knocking on 70 years I should stick to board games!!!!

metacritical

Unquestionably brilliant. FACT.
23 Badges
Mar 19, 2016
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars
  • Prison Architect
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint