• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Greetings everyone! The newest expansion for Cities: Skylines called Industries was announced on 11th of October 2018, and we are happy to tell you fellow city-builders all about it. In the previous Dev Diary we gave a short introduction, so be sure to check that out if you haven't already!

So what is an Industry Area? The new Industry Areas uses a similar system as the Park Areas in Parklife expansion. Users can define Industry Areas with the Paint Industry Area tool and place highly specialized industrial buildings inside the area to create a multitude of different production chains. From extracting the raw materials all the way to the final end product.

Cities: Skylines - Industries tutorials

TwoDollarsTwenty has made lovely tutorial videos for Industries expansion! The first episode is available here:

All the tutorial videos will be available on this playlist at Paradox Interactive Youtube channel!

Note: Tutorials were made with a beta version of the Industries so you might notice some differences compared to the Dev Diary screenshots.

Creating your Industry Area

To better understand how to approach creating your first Industry Area it might be wise to make couple of things clear. Firstly the new Industry Buildings can be found in the revamped Garbage Service menu, which is now renamed to Garbage and Industry. Each Industry Area type has it's own Extractors, Processing Buildings, Auxiliary Buildings and Raw Material Storage Buildings. For example, Farm Industry includes buildings such as Crop Fields, Milking Parlor and Barns while Oil Industry has Pumps, variety of different kinds of plants like Oil Sludge Pyrolysis Plant and Crude Oil Storage buildings.

Secondly, and this is very important so sharpen your eyes, just like city service buildings the Industry Area Buildings do not spawn but are placed next to a road. Without road access the Industry Area Buildings are unable to send out trucks full of precious resources.

Now that we have the basic information let's get back to how to actually make an Industry Area.

Much like with Parklife and Park Areas or base game districts, defining an Industry Area happens with a brush tool. The new Industry Area tool is located in the same place as "Paint Park Area" or "Paint District" tools. So just select the tool, use it like you would use "Paint Park Area" or "Paint District" tools and when the desired area is painted you can determine its type by placing the Main Building.

And that's it! After the Industry Area has its type determined you can start placing Industry Buildings inside the area and start creating your first full production chain, more buildings are unlocked when your Industry Area progresses through the levels. But more about production chains and leveling the industry areas in upcoming Dev Diaries!

Cities 2018-09-14 10-33-59-82.png

After successful start, Oak Oil Products is looking forward to expanding

Types of Industry Areas

Industries expansion comes with four types of Industry Areas, each of them require different raw material and all of them have their own buildings fitting for their own distinctive style. It's only natural that the industry areas require different natural resources which is exactly the reason why we have Forestry, Farming, Ore and Oil Industries included in the Industries DLC.

Ever dreamed of maintaining your own lumberyard and having the workers rocking that eternal lumberjack look? Or wishing that your city would be absolute number 1 in paper production? Then the Forest Industry is definitely for you. Forest Industry can take advantage of the areas rich in forests and use those gathered forest raw materials to produce forestry special goods: planed timber and paper.

Cities 2018-09-20 11-15-45-01.png

I know, I won't get tired of watching those rows after rows after rows of trees being so... orderly placed.

Or perhaps the modest lifestyle of countryside is more of your thing, and instead of trees you want to create vast crop fields. In that case the Farming Industry with all its variety in crops, fruit and animals could be the thing for you. In order to produce special goods, like Flours and Animal Products, the farming Industry's processing buildings need crops to operate. That's why fertile land is the perfect place to build your Farming Industry, crop- and fruit fields nourish on fertile land, and the more the fertile land is, the more crops your fields produce! With Snowfall maps certain Farm Buildings are replaced with greenhouse versions for the buildings.

Cities 2018-09-20 10-57-15-10.png

A variety of appearances for fields really brightens up the country-side!

But some you may find it more satisfying to drill into the ground and look for the ore that it holds within. Ore Industry will do just that for you. Ore can be extracted from the ground with the help of mines, extracted ore can then be exported, stored or transferred to ore industry's own production buildings to produce special goods such as Metals and Glass.

Also! Don't forget that ore is not naturally replenishing resource so once it is depleted you might want to transfer your mines to a new location!

And just like with ore, oil is not a replenishing resource and can also be found within the ground. And if you want to get into that black gold you are going to need the Oil Industry. Oil can be pumped up from underground or underwater reserves and be processed into Oil special goods, like Plastics and Petroleum. While Oil Industry might be the most polluting Industry it also can be highly profitable.

Specialized and non-specialized Districts can be built inside Industry Areas and both can benefit from each others but we will get back to how they work together in more detail in the future Dev Diaries.
smile.svg

Industry Area Info view and Industry Areas Overview

To quickly get a nice view of your Industry Areas we've added a new Info View dedicated to Industry Areas. From the Info view you can easily switch between different Industry types and access the Industry Areas Overview panel. Industry Area Overview panel nicely lists all the Industry Areas that are located in your city, shows their type, name, levels and how many workers are working for the Industry Area. From the Overview you can also easily open each Industry Areas Info Panel that shows even more details!

Cities 2018-09-20 16-02-03-32.png

Overview of the Industry Areas quickly summarizes how your Industry Areas are doing

Benefit of having Industry Areas in your city

When properly maintained the Industry Areas can provide a great boost to your city's economy and offer many work places for your educated citizens. Each Industry Area type has a wide selection of buildings to choose from. When placed inside the same-type area they will become operational and will start to produce goods and other resources which can be exported, sold to zoned industry or to Unique Factories.

The Basic resource chains from base game are now expanded upon and exposed for the players to create the ultimate, most honed and perfected production chains, this should keep even the perfectionists entertained for hours to come. The production chains provided by the Industry Areas expands the basic resource chains into more detailed and manageable system, but more about Production Chain Management, types of buildings and different resources in our next dev diary!

Question to Colossal Order. Just out of curiosity. In view of the fact that there will be a post office, including Workers’ Union, will there be a State Work Safety Inspectorate which will control the employers who break the employment legislation? : D

oh yes that sounds good I hope its in there two makes me wonder if you will see a post mail person walking house to house and business to business. waiting to see dev videos for that.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Please tell me that you can unlock live stock and have active fields with cows, horses, pigs and/or chickens. The Parklife DLC was awesome with real animated animals - I've been waiting and waiting for better looking farm animals. Please make my day and tell me it's in the new DLC!!!!

There is animal pastures where you can have cows, pigs, sheep or highland cows.

Farm fields and greenhouses are at least twice the size of the standard 4x4 plots, which also means they're ploppable like all industry area assets.

There are small (4x8), medium (8x8) and large farms (8x16).

What CAN actually be placed outside industry areas?
I'm worried about storage and warehouse that I wanted to place where I want, to mange cargo traffic in a specific way.

Storages, warehouses and Unique Factories can be placed outside of the Industry Areas.

Question to Colossal Order. Just out of curiosity. In view of the fact that there will be a post office, including Workers’ Union, will there be a State Work Safety Inspectorate which will control the employers who break the employment legislation? : D

I think the city employees are so nice that they don't break the legislation ;)

I am deeply unfair: you have achieved exactly the DLC that I was hoping for a year and a half ago, but I'm still expressing reservations.

There are more dev diaries, tutorial videos and streams coming up! Look at them and maybe they will help to make the decision if the DLC is interesting for you or not.

Please, confirm me that agricultural extractors do not necessarily need fertile land.
A cropping area on land without fertile land will still produce Raw Products, with less yield, and can reach a correct level (4 for example).

Tell me again that the special products of agriculture are not limited to Flour and Animal products, but there are also Fruits and vegetables (wich could go directly from the extractors to the commerces, without going through the processors), Plastics (from corn or seaweed), Petroleum (from rapeseed or algae), Plants and essential oils (which would supply the Unique Factories of cosmetics and medicines... that I did not see in the list) and Textiles (for the Unique Factories of clothing, which could also use Animals products and Plastics... but that I did not see either in the list).

Fields need fertile land nearby or otherwise their production rate might go to zero. It works similar to wind power which require wind to function. How ever the processing buildings can function without the extractors if the raw materials are imported to the storages from outside connections. More about this in the upcoming dev diaries.

Flour and Animal products are the goods that Unique Factories require to make luxury products like clothes or sneakers.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There is many things that could be added and it would make people happy there is so many things whih can be fixed there is so many mods which should be in the base game - like loading screen mod. I hope that one day we will get mod which will skip selected vanilla assets NOT to be loaded into memory, because I dont want to use them. For example if the loading screen mod wont be available in the future I'm qutting this game.
Check out LSM Test. It has got an update, providing the function you are asking for.

• 1Like
Reactions:
How dare you! They are most certainly not the same. Trolley buses are glorious and I will make it my personal mission to getting them in the game!

They only exist in 4 cities in France (Limoge, Lyon, Nancy and Saint-Etienne) which is why they are a little unknown to us, but I would enjoy having them in the game !

Btw congratulations for your work on Industries !

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think the city employees are so nice that they don't break the legislation ;)

Colossal Order is amused: D. Great answer, but I think you do a nice job. In any case, I dream of seeing was more municipal services responsible for the functioning of city structures in the future, such as municipal offices, departments of these offices in various areas of life such as construction, education, security, public transport, health, etc. Why not has the mayor's headquarters: D? Government structures and the possibility of giving the main city the status of a capital together with smaller and larger cities. I think that the districts do not fulfill this role until the end.
However, I would like to mark these districts a brush to become the main capital city.
Despite everything, I miss social classes. Once you mentioned that your first addon would be social groups. Maybe it's worth coming back to this?

As for the Industries addition, I would like some unique buildings such as a shopping center, general store, hypermarket and other similar buildings, apart from tourists, that would also bring profits to the city budget. People buy not only in local stores, but also in shopping centers, etc. It's worth thinking about? What do you think Colossal Order?

I love you: D. Thanks to you, the world is more beautiful. Cities Skylines is the best product of a city building simulator.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
As for the Industries addition, I would like some unique buildings such as a shopping center, general store, hypermarket and other similar buildings, apart from tourists, that would also bring profits to the city budget. People buy not only in local stores, but also in shopping centers, etc. It's worth thinking about? What do you think Colossal Order?

Thank you for your suggestion. This is not something Industries has, but I'll add the idea to the wishlist.

@co_emmi why not chicken ?
those are missing there

Maybe we didn't want to upset Chirper with some fierce competition ;) Also they are quite small animals so they wouldn't be that visible from the default observing distance.

I have one more question: Do we get Wind pollution as in wind can play a huge role in air pollution from really dirty industries now?

Air / wind pollution is not something Cities: Skylines has I'm afraid.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Air / wind pollution is not something Cities: Skylines has I'm afraid.
The ****? Why Cities: Skylines is not adding air pollution while all SimCity games has air pollution and even other city-building games has this feature, maybe I guess the Cims do not care about air pollution at all and instead they are worried about ground/noise pollution but not the dirty air that they're inhaling. Don't they have lungs? :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
Maybe we didn't want to upset Chirper with some fierce competition ;) Also they are quite small animals so they wouldn't be that visible from the default observing distance..

One more reason to increase Zoom ! Adding a button in the options - thinking to those without required pc specs :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
*sigh* Let me repeat this again: What's with the disagrees again? I remember playing SC4 and SC13 and there industries produce air pollution, as a result I've had to place them away from residental zones and always look at the "Wind" data view to see where is the wind direction.

Even real-life has air pollution, I don't know what's up with the entire CS Paradox community against on what I wanted to be on the game and my very own opinions to the game, even my own content and city journals has disagrees....just why??? This is how you treat other fellow CS players? I bought and own the game, and this is what you'll going to throw back to me? Please give respect each people's opinions and the other members of this community.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
*sigh* Let me repeat this again: What's with the disagrees again? I remember playing SC4 and SC13 and there industries produce air pollution, as a result I've had to place them away from residental zones and always look at the "Wind" data view to see where is the wind direction.

Even real-life has air pollution, I don't know what's up with the entire CS Paradox community against on what I wanted to be on the game and my very own opinions to the game, even my own content and city journals has disagrees....just why??? This is how you treat other fellow CS players?

Air pollution is a growing real-life problem and we agree it would be sensible to have it in-game. But I'm afraid it is something that was not designed for Cities: Skylines.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just from a player perspective adding air pollution doesn't seem like a great idea. We have loads of cities already built and it wouldn't really be that fun to have your entire nice neighbourhood be ruined because it turns out you built it down wind from the industry. Combined with that I believe the direction of the wind changes in Cities (well, at least windmills change where they're facing), which would make it hard to really deal with it (just like in real life). It would be cool to have for Cities Skylines too if we get that at some point, but honestly I don't want it added to the current game - it would be too messy on existing cities.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just from a player perspective adding air pollution doesn't seem like a great idea. We have loads of cities already built and it wouldn't really be that fun to have your entire nice neighbourhood be ruined because it turns out you built it down wind from the industry. Combined with that I believe the direction of the wind changes in Cities (well, at least windmills change where they're facing), which would make it hard to really deal with it (just like in real life). It would be cool to have for Cities Skylines too if we get that at some point, but honestly I don't want it added to the current game - it would be too messy on existing cities.
I agree, if air pollution was added in the SC13 way it'll be waaay too messy, but I remember SC4's air pollution is similar to CS's ground pollution, they are only focused on industrial areas and on major roads but they do not move by wind.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I agree, if air pollution was added in the SC13 way it'll be waaay too messy, but I remember SC4's air pollution is similar to CS's ground pollution, they are only focused on industrial areas and on major roads but they do not move by wind.

But then there's really no difference from noise pollution, at least not one I can see. The industrial areas even have the smog like there is air pollution, so the visuals are there. I'm failing to see what it would add that isn't already covered by ground and noise pollution.

• 1Like
Reactions:
But then there's really no difference from noise pollution, at least not one I can see. The industrial areas even have the smog like there is air pollution, so the visuals are there. I'm failing to see what it would add that isn't already covered by ground and noise pollution.
Or in-short, air pollution is in the game but it doesn't have any data views as it'll be similar to noise pollution, plus I have noticed that smog as well covering the industrial areas (had to disable it with the use of a mod though).

• 1Like
Reactions: