• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SFBisTimG

Second Lieutenant
22 Badges
Mar 29, 2021
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
I learned the 2 children my concubine had weren't actually mine. I exposed the secrets and yet the game still says they are my kids. Shouldn't they be removed from my line of Succession since they aren't actually mine? Why should I have to waste Renown disinheriting them when they aren't mine.
Am I missing something here?

• 1Like
Reactions:
you're missing that they're members of your dynasty.

Reactions:
Did you read his post carefully, he has exposed the secret that the childs are bastard childs of someone else and not his children.

So the childs should be removed from his dynasty and should get the dynasty of their real father.
well, OP can make a post in suggestions, if there isn't one or more there already.

I noticed the same already in one of my games. Just thoguht it was a bug and didn't care anymore...

Reactions:
I'm fine with them staying in my dynasty but they are still bastards and should be treated as such, They should not be able to inherit land.
well, disinherit them

I shouldn't have to spend the renown on disinheriting known bastards. If they were my actual bastards they wouldn't be able to inherit unless I legitimized them.
Then don't spend renown on disinheriting them, find another way to eliminate them from succession. It's not like disinheriting is the only solution here. I've heard rumors that being dead is just as effective as disinheriting when it comes to succession problems, and there are oh so many ways to arrange that even for your own children.

Reactions:
Disputed heritage trait is just a diplomacy mal...there is no other effect. I found that out when I got a great hier from my married lover...even though I took the piety hit and the adulterer trait...the child still was not my son...he was the son of my lovers husband and there is no way to legitimize him.

Last I checked, you had to expose it prior to birth or at birth for them to be properly recognized as bastards mechanically. Otherwise it is treated as the hearsay of the medieval world.

I suspect they were trying to do something with disputed heritage; kind of like an older heir that has become too established for mere words, even an old truth, to shake from the reality of their current power.

I personally think they can do more interesting things in this vein and hope they do so. The stark line between bastard and disputed does leave something to be desired.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Last I checked, you had to expose it prior to birth or at birth for them to be properly recognized as bastards mechanically. Otherwise it is treated as the hearsay of the medieval world.

I suspect they were trying to do something with disputed heritage; kind of like an older heir that has become too established for mere words, even an old truth, to shake from the reality of their current power.

I personally think they can do more interesting things in this vein and hope they do so. The stark line between bastard and disputed does leave something to be desired.

One of them was at his birth (his father claimed him when he was born) The other I found out about right before the 2nd's birth.

to the one who said kill them you can't murder your kids unless you are sadistic.

One of them I ended up making my Godi as he can't inherit lands if he is the Godi. The other one I took the renown hit but find it kind of stupid that a bastard that isn't mine gets treated better then a bastard who is mine. There is zero chance a King from the 900's would ever allow a mistresses kid fathered by another man to ever inherit anything. So it's disappointing that Paradox has it working this way.

Realistic medieval Sim, yeah OK :)

Tho still love the game

Last edited:
Reactions:
One of them was at his birth (his father claimed him when he was born) The other I found out about right before the 2nd's birth.

to the one who said kill them you can't murder your kids unless you are sadistic.

One of them I ended up making my Godi as he can't inherit lands if he is the Godi. The other one I took the renown hit but find it kind of stupid that a bastard that isn't mine gets treated better then a bastard who is mine. There is zero chance a King from the 900's would ever allow a mistresses kid fathered by another man to ever inherit anything. So it's disappointing that Paradox has it working this way.

Realistic medieval Sim, yeah OK :)

Tho still love the game
He can't do dna test so rumours can stay as rumours. Basil I let's his first son inherit when he seemed to be the spawn of the previous emperor

Reactions:
Just because you can't plot against them directly doesn't mean you can't kill them by other means. Imprison them and send them to the dungeon, they'll be dead long before they inherit unless you wait till the last minute.

Reactions:
Just because you can't plot against them directly doesn't mean you can't kill them by other means. Imprison them and send them to the dungeon, they'll be dead long before they inherit unless you wait till the last minute.
unfortunately not sure if it is a mod issue but I can't Imprison anyone as they 90% of the time have a negative number in acceptance of imprisonment.

They aren't rumors she said she was seeing him and the 1st child was his, and both kids look just like his puny ass.

Your ruler is a cuckold. He can either deny the rumor, treating the children as his own, or confirm the rumor by disinheriting the bastard children. The renown cost to disinherit a child with a disputed heritage should probably be way higher than when a ruler admits a child is too incompetent to rule and disinherits him. After all you’re admitting to the world that your ruler can’t even rule his own family, so how can he be expected to rule a realm?

• 1Like
Reactions:
From what I understand. The disputed heritage Trait is more or less you the king, saying "Hey wait... Those aren't mine what the hell?!" After the fact. While if you can prove that they're not yours within a reasonable time they will be bastards. But Disputed heritage act's more of the king say that those kids aren't his. But he can't prove it.

I think if the person who fathered them comes out as well, early on it'll make them bastards of your concubines. But not always, and sometimes if you prove that your wife cheated on you earlier etc. It'll make them not of your house. It's a pretty weird trait honestly, it really sucks either way. Hope this helps none the less.

Reactions:
I learned the 2 children my concubine had weren't actually mine. I exposed the secrets and yet the game still says they are my kids. Shouldn't they be removed from my line of Succession since they aren't actually mine? Why should I have to waste Renown disinheriting them when they aren't mine.
Am I missing something here?
I don't know if this has been changed recently, but at least a few patches back there was an age limit where if you exposed the secret before a certain age they were "de-fathered" from you, but after that age they got Disputed Heritage.

I can't recall for sure what that age was, but two numbers seem to ring out in my head: two or five years old. :)

Reactions: