• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Joe Vezina

Recruit
5 Badges
Nov 11, 2016
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Empire of Sin
Hi, I don't know how forum works but I just wanted an information. Is it so hard to put a new game plus or import a character in your games?!? Tyranny is a good game but I hate to start over again as for pillars too!!! I just never play the game ever again because of that missing feature...!

Reactions:
Upvote 0
A new game plus would be great for re playability you would also be able to fully explore you characters potential in terms of spells and items.
If by "new game+" you mean the usual "you can play the full game only after completing it once", then it is not good for re-playability. That is just design lazyness.
If your game is so good/deep/non-linear that what you do affects the game enough that a second play through feels so completely different that is is "almost a new game", you do not need to block features on the first play through.

The talent system and party composition, as well as all the different choice you did and the way they affect the development of your story (as far as I have seen in my few hours of gameplay), are enough to guarantee you can ejoy a second run of the game. I've no idea if there is a "new game+" in this game, but it is pretty evident it does not need one.

"new game+" is a way to TRY to increase longevity via blackmail, by depriving the buyer of full access to what they bought unless they play it twice.
It becomes a fully fledged scam when the player has no time to play games that much, and as such he will only play it once and hence never experience the full extent of the game they bought.

Your way of thinking is deeply wrong, and it is damaging toward other players, especially those with less free time.

Reactions:
If by "new game+" you mean the usual "you can play the full game only after completing it once", then it is not good for re-playability. That is just design lazyness.
If your game is so good/deep/non-linear that what you do affects the game enough that a second play through feels so completely different that is is "almost a new game", you do not need to block features on the first play through.

The talent system and party composition, as well as all the different choice you did and the way they affect the development of your story (as far as I have seen in my few hours of gameplay), are enough to guarantee you can ejoy a second run of the game. I've no idea if there is a "new game+" in this game, but it is pretty evident it does not need one.

"new game+" is a way to TRY to increase longevity via blackmail, by depriving the buyer of full access to what they bought unless they play it twice.
It becomes a fully fledged scam when the player has no time to play games that much, and as such he will only play it once and hence never experience the full extent of the game they bought.

Your way of thinking is deeply wrong, and it is damaging toward other players, especially those with less free time.

That's not what I meant by a new game plus feature - nor is what you wrote what I implied. For example I like my current character and I'd like to have a go at replaying the game with my character at his current level at a higher difficulty as there are spells and abilities that I did not have chance to use or acquire. The game definitely has enough more than two play throughs but I would like to have the option of not starting a new character - as there are things that I would like to do with my current one i.e stronger spells etc.

Reactions:
I totally agree. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 had it so stop being lazy and do the same for christ sake. I still play BG but not Pillars and probably will never replay Tyranny ever after. If someone thinks its lazy play again with a high level character then PLAY A FREAKING NORMAL NEW GAME AND SHUT THE HELL UP Ollihax

Reactions:

I totally agree. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 had it so stop being lazy and do the same for christ sake. I still play BG but not Pillars and probably will never replay Tyranny ever after. If someone thinks its lazy play again with a high level character then PLAY A FREAKING NORMAL NEW GAME AND SHUT THE HELL UP Ollihax

Reactions:
If all you want to do is import an old character into a new game, you might as well just create a new character and cheat. There's a console for a reason. Presto, done.

Reactions:
Too complicated for me. No time for that.

giphy.gif

You get a ton of great loot and artifacts from late game bosses but after 10 minutes the game ends. In addition you never get enough lore to try out the best spell sigils found later in the game. This makes it absolutely useless to even bother picking up these cool artifacts and spells. A NG+ or import save option is a modern RPG system that works and makes a lot of player happy. Since you are supposed to be a veteran combatant with 3 years of conquest prior to start of your game, it never made sense why a character who like that must start at level 1 every time. For those who dont like replaying the same character will always have the option to start anew. Its a matter of giving more choice to the player and allowing them to decide what they want to do. Upping a ng+ difficulty to at least the highest difficulty option or even beyond is a straightforward way to balance the game

Reactions:
You get a ton of great loot and artifacts from late game bosses but after 10 minutes the game ends. In addition you never get enough lore to try out the best spell sigils found later in the game. This makes it absolutely useless to even bother picking up these cool artifacts and spells. A NG+ or import save option is a modern RPG system that works and makes a lot of player happy. Since you are supposed to be a veteran combatant with 3 years of conquest prior to start of your game, it never made sense why a character who like that must start at level 1 every time. For those who dont like replaying the same character will always have the option to start anew. Its a matter of giving more choice to the player and allowing them to decide what they want to do. Upping a ng+ difficulty to at least the highest difficulty option or even beyond is a straightforward way to balance the game

The solution to this is to make the game not-terrible, not to introduce NG+.

Reactions:
The game is already great. It's about adding a feature that extends the longevity and allows you to use those sweet late game weapons
If they were to allow to use your character/party again and play through the game a second time, they would have to change level of the enemies so that they scale with yours, otherwsie it would not boost that much longevity as you would run through low level enemies with no challenge at all - which might be fun to some, but not to all, which is why there are different difficulty modes. Also, it would allow to enter the (possible) DLC with an overpowered party, if they keep the same design approach for what concern enemy levels.

The game is designed in a way that does not agree with the idea you are supporting, unless the core design choice fixing the enemy level is changed, which means spending a lot of effort in re-balancing the experience. Effort best spent in producing a DLC from the business point of view.

I can understand your wish, and it is not wrong per se, since we are not talking about what I first thought was being proposed, but it simply does not match well with the current experience/levelling design.

they would have to change level of the enemies so that they scale with yours

I'm...pretty sure they already do? Also, I think loot boxes scale. If you notice, when you go to Cacophony as a Disfavored Backer, suddenly those locked loot boxes are filled with purple stuff! And many people in threads say not to unlock loot in Act I until level 8. That is, the ones that aren't pre-determined, of course.

Personally, the only reason I'd be for a NG+ is because all of the end-game boss-fight loot (and forge/library end game) I got and then suddenly the game ended. I mean, I'd gladly take Act IV as DLC, instead, though. Missing a sigil here and there is a little annoying, too, so taking the 4th area to get it is cool, too.

Overall I'm happy with the game as is, since I figure more stuff is coming out for me to se my end-game loot on. And I can make new characters with different builds/restrictions/party compositions in the mean time!

Last edited:
I'm...pretty sure they already do? Also, I think loot boxes scale. If you notice, when you go to Cacophony as a Disfavored Backer, suddenly those locked loot boxes are filled with purple stuff! And many people in threads say not to unlock loot in Act I until level 8. That is, the ones that aren't pre-determined, of course.

Personally, the only reason I'd be for a NG+ is because all of the end-game boss-fight loot (and forge/library end game) I got and then suddenly the game ended. I mean, I'd gladly take Act IV as DLC, instead, though. Missing a sigil here and there is a little annoying, too, so taking the 4th area to get it is cool, too.

Overall I'm happy with the game as is, since I figure more stuff is coming out for me to se my end-game loot on. And I can make new characters with different builds/restrictions/party compositions in the mean time!

Of course the mobs/loot scales as you can decide the order in which you visit the zones depends on your choices for the playthrough, but according to what I read around, it would seem that they do scale but only up to level 20-21, which is why in many posts I read I found people talking about a "level cap" since they were having issues levelling past 24 or something similar.
What I am referring to is nothing official, of course, so it might be wrong info.

I agree strongly on the sadness that is the impossibility to use the loot of the final encounter, but that is sort of normal in non open-world games. Let's hope a DLC gets released.