Changelog for Patch #6 1.3.3.5 - February 1st

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
People, be nice to each other. I don't want to close this thread, as it's the patch notes thread. Just reply on-topic here (patch information, etc). If you'd like to start a discussion on refunds in software, Europe vs USA, or anything else, please do so in the Off Topic forum, thanks.

[...]

Yeah we get it, people should have looked at the requirements and realized they wont be able to run this game, that's their fault. The DEVELOPERS should have put "This game will NOT WORK if your graphics card is below that."

[...]
You don't seem to understand that this is exactly what "Requirement" means. It means that if you don't meet the requirement, the game will not work. Anything else isn't supported. It's really as simple as that.

It's the kind of thinking you display that have given us warning labels such as "Not to be used as potatoe catapult" on stereos.

The hostility in this thread against people having difficulties running this game is pretty bad, why is that? Anyways, I'm one of those people who didn't try the demo first because, well, quite frankly, every other game seems to run on my system just fine. Also, my computer is not a laptop, and has a separate graphics adapter (Radeon HD 4870 if memory serves). And what it all came down to was that 10€ isn't all THAT much, but still, the game seemed fun and wacky the way I like it, so I caved and bought it..

And turns out it doesn't support my soundcard, apparently. I have a Soundblaster X-fi GO USB soundcard (yes yes, I know, not as good as the internal cards, but good enough for my needs and the games I usually play), and I'm unable to play the game, it won't even start. If I change my standard output device to any other (like the much maligned integrated sound card) the game will run.

I suppose I could change my RCA (or whatever they're called) plugs every time I play Magicka vs. any other game I play, but really, it would be nice if this bug could be squished at some point too. I have updated the soundcard drivers / firmware to the most recent, which didn't help at all. I'm running the game on Vista Home 32bit, with, as far as I know, all the most recent drivers installed. I even got an older version (3.5) of the .NET because some people had managed to get the game to work with that, but alas, no help there either. Maybe I'm just unlucky and have to wait and see if there ever will be a patch that makes the game work with this particular model of a soundcard.. For now, I'll just keep jumping those cables.. Just wondering if this is a known bug or just something I happily stumbled across :)

The error log I get is as follows (in Finnish as that's my system language, but you should get the important things out of it I think?):

Version: 1.3.3.5
Thread: RenderThread
System.NullReferenceException: Objektin viittaukseksi ei voi määrittää objektiesiintymää.
kohteessa Magicka.Audio.AudioManager.Dispose()
kohteessa Magicka.Game.UnloadContent()
kohteessa Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DeviceDisposing(Object sender, EventArgs e)
kohteessa Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.OnDeviceDisposing(Object sender, EventArgs args)
kohteessa Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.HandleDisposing(Object sender, EventArgs e)
kohteessa Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.~GraphicsDevice()
kohteessa Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.Dispose(Boolean )
kohteessa Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.Dispose()
kohteessa Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
kohteessa Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.System.IDisposable.Dispose()
kohteessa Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
kohteessa Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Dispose()
kohteessa Magicka.Program.Main(String[] args)

As noted earlier, the game works fine if I set my standard output device to any other sound device besides the USB soundcard.

Wow a lot of hate on this thread.....
You think people would play the demo before picking it up to see if it worked or was any good..... I for one love the game even if I can't get pass chapter 8 for some reason.
Due to crashing, or because you're alone and getting overwhelmed by stupid amounts of enemies? :p

Last edited:
Crashing when online. I looked it up on steam forums and it seems more than a few are crashing in ch. 8 while playing online and not the host.
Is it at any specific point, or randomly throughout Chapter 8?

I probably can't help you with it. Just asking because I'm curious. Sometimes the weirdest things can fix a crash (such as changing clothes).

Please open separate threads in the tech support forum for individual issues. It's the easiest way the devs can get to your information. Thanks! :)

Today Steam updated faster than the devs could post! Patch 1.3.3.6 just finished downloading! :D

Edit: Here are the patch notes, will probably be posted officially soon:
Updates to Magicka have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted.
Fixed Khan spell absorption resulting in crash.
Fixed crash when attempting to play two ambient sounds with the same id.
Fixed issue with exploding Goblin bombers not dealing damage.
Fixed issue with explosive objects not dealing damage.
Fixed level progression issue when the captain in Chapter 1 is killed before he speaks.
NPCs are removed when leaving a scene that one cannot return to. (Solves “NPC cache is empty” crash.)
Fixed CTD in chapter 9 bossfight. (“No area with key...”)
Fixed camera issue when using Staff of the Dead.
Fixed Book of Magick jittering on network clients.
Fixed issue when joining a game from the Steam client and Magicka is not running.
Fixed rare crash in UPnP routine.
Fixed crash when a character was overkilled by a buff.
Fixed issue with items, magicks & missiles falling through the level.
Clients no longer get stuck in-between scenes in chapter 1.
Minor network optimizations.
Fixed CTD when trying to use chat and playing with only gamepads.
Quick Start no longer tries to join games incompatible versions or password protected games.
Features

Khan shield spell changed to area blast.
Known Issues
Network uplink bandwidth, while improved, can be demanding
Steam attempts to install XNA framework every time game is launched or rare occasion
Quitting the game while the credits are rolling will not award a game complete.
Mouse outside screen in full screen with multiple monitors will minimize the game.