Can't launch game or load mods in 2021.1 launcher

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

rackner

Recruit
57 Badges
Sep 5, 2018
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
As of the 2021.1 launcher, I am unable to start the game. I was able to play the game without issue prior to this, but now am unable to even get past the initial loading screen.

I am on a PC playing through Steam, I had some mods subscribed through Steam workshop but unsubscribed them to see if that was related and it didn't seem to help. The new launcher does not display anything in the mod list at all - when I was subscribed to mods, it showed nothing, and now that I'm unsubscribed, it also shows knowing.

I added the game to my antivirus protection list to see if that helped and it didn't. I performed a fresh install of the game and am still running into the issue.

Hoping someone knows a solution!

What AV app do you use? Both Avast and AVG seem to be causing this at present.

Please try the following:

- unsubscribe from all mods
- delete the folder Documents/paradox/Stellaris/mod/
- delete the file Documents/paradox/Stellaris/mods_registry.json
- delete the file Documents/paradox/Stellaris/launcher-v2.sqlite

Add Stellaris.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list. You should add steam.exe and C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2021.1/paradox launcher.exe to that list.

- subscribe to a few mods
- run the game up and see if those mods are now available to you.

I hope that does it for you!

Hi Andrew,

I use AVG and Windows Defender. As previously mentioned, I made sure that Stellaris.exe and the Paradox launcher were both marked as exceptions in both antivirus apps.

I followed the steps listed above - unsubscribing from all mods, deleting my documents/paradox/Stellaris folder, etc; I am still seeing consistent crashes at around a 30% game load, even with no mods downloaded and exceptions applied in both anti-virus software.

Please advise on next steps!

Thanks!

I've seen that caused by outdated mods, but also having a game controller or joystick plugged in .

Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere, and user_empire_designs.txt from /Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/ if you have made any custom empires or races.
- "uninstall" in Steam-Stellaris
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/Stellaris AND Documents/Paradox/Stellaris folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add stellaris.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular you need to make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam Stellaris or Documents Stellaris locations, before installing again.

If that doesn't help:
DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/Stellaris/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox/Stellaris/logs/ folder, attach system.log , error.log .

Hi Andrew -

The game appears to be starting now but I am unable to see any mods in my mod load screen. I have subscribed to them through the Steam workshop. Please advise!

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-17 185343.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-17 185343.png
    204,8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2021-02-17 185359.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-17 185359.png
    812,7 KB · Views: 0
I'm afraid it must be AVG still. You can try going through post #2 again, but I suspect nothing but disabling it or setting it up to allow the game and launcher to read and write to the Windows user Documents folders will do it. You may need help from AVG support to ensure that.

Good luck!