• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
But you can from ck3.exe directly, are you saying?

Either way has it ever worked?

What launcher version do you see?

But you can from ck3.exe directly, are you saying?

Either way has it ever worked?

What launcher version do you see?
I can launch the game from my program files from steam but when I click the launch button in steam it says preparing to launch then goes back to saying play so I guess it's a crash of some kind?
I'm not sure how to check what version of launcher I have.
Do you know any way to solve it because I can't use any of the mods I have as I can't activate then via the launcher :)

Last edited:
Ah, so you don't see the launcher at all, is that right?

If so Please try this:

- exit the Steam app entirely
- uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility, if still present.

Delete the following folders if still present:

- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Roaming/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

- run steam.exe as the Windows Admin user

- run the game from the PLAY button in Steam

IF that doesn't help, in this folder are some .log files:
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
Please attach them here.

Note that you can run ck3.exe directly from Windows Explorer, which bypasses the launcher.

ck3 support 1.PNG

I managed to get the launcher to open now (thanks for that) but this thing comes up every time I open it and at the bottom where the mods section is it says they can't access the directory with the game data I'm not sure what this means. Also I can launch the actual game from the launcher now which is great but I can't use the mods because of that message.

What antivirus app do you use?

Add CK3.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.

You may need to add steam.exe and C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2020.13/paradox launcher.exe to that list.

What antivirus app do you use?

Add CK3.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.

You may need to add steam.exe and C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2020.13/paradox launcher.exe to that list.
Yep that was right it was being blocked and I've fixed it now thanks for the help :)