• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Turrosh Mak

Despot of the Pomarj
17 Badges
Feb 20, 2004
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Age of Wonders III
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
I just installed CK2 (free version) on Steam and I can't get it to run. When I press the PLAY button on the steam library page, the button will quickly change to "Cancel", then "Stop", then "Play" again. I have checked the integrity, tried running CK2game.exe from the Steamapps\common\Crusader Kings 2 folder and reinstalled twice to no avail. When I try to run CK2game.exe the error box says, "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)."

In addition, I have tried running CK2game.exe in compatibility mode with all 5 versions of Windows listed (vista, vista sp1, vista sp2, win7 and win8). The FAQ suggests trying to run in 640x480, but under settings, the choice "Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution" is grayed out for all 5 versions of windows.

My System:
Windows 10 Home (ver 22H2 OS build 19045.4170)
Core i5 750 2.67GHz (with 8gb ram)
Nvidia GTX 1660 Super (6gb)

Last edited:
I just installed CK2 (free version) on Steam and I can't get it to run. When I press the PLAY button on the steam library page, the button will quickly change to "Cancel", then "Stop", then "Play" again. I have checked the integrity, tried running CK2game.exe from the Steamapps\common\Crusader Kings 2 folder and reinstalled twice to no avail. When I try to run CK2game.exe the error box says, "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)."

In addition, I have tried running CK2game.exe in compatibility mode with all 5 versions of Windows listed (vista, vista sp1, vista sp2, win7 and win8). The FAQ suggests trying to run in 640x480, but under settings, the choice "Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution" is grayed out for all 5 versions of windows.

My System:
Windows 10 Home (ver 22H2 OS build 19045.4170)
Core i5 750 2.67GHz (with 8gb ram)
Nvidia GTX 1660 Super (6gb)
Dsiclaimer: i'm just another forum member.

In before official tech support ( i originally thought to have seen this thread in the CK2 General section)...

Undo all changed settings you mentioned trying to fix this.
Try the standard fix instead :

Go to Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings 2
Open settings.txt.
Edit fullscreen to "no" and borderless to "yes", if they aren't already.
Save, close, try again.

Dsiclaimer: i'm just another forum member.

In before official tech support ( i originally thought to have seen this thread in the CK2 General section)...

Undo all changed settings you mentioned trying to fix this.
Try the standard fix instead :

Go to Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings 2
Open settings.txt.
Edit fullscreen to "no" and borderless to "yes", if they aren't already.
Save, close, try again.
Thank you for your reply.

The setup procedure for the game apparently didn't get far enough to create a folder named "Crusader Kings II" in my Paradox Interactive folder so I created it manually, in the hope that running "verify integrity of game files" in steam or running the game from the steam library page would populate it with the required files. No dice.

Next, I created an empty "settings.txt" document with one line saying "## settings" and saved it in the new "Crusader Kings II" folder. I reran "verify integrity of game files" and again ran the game from the steam library page, but sadly, the folder was not populated with the required game files. The empty "settings.txt" document did not change.

It was a good idea worth investigating, it just didn't work out. If you can think of anything else I'll be happy to give it a try.

Thank you for your reply.

The setup procedure for the game apparently didn't get far enough to create a folder named "Crusader Kings II" in my Paradox Interactive folder s......
If you can think of anything else I'll be happy to give it a try.

Hmm.....i will try not to post too much and this will be my last or second last post to prevent confusing you,
before tech support might finally arrive.

So that's a bit weird that it doesn't even create the CK2 folder in Documents.

So....
Two quick and easy ideas to test first without much needed thinking are :

1)
Go to Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings II
Right click ck2game.exe,
select Properties -> Compatibility tab,
check" Deactivate fullscreen optimisation" or similar in wording.
Click Okay, save.

Try again to start the game from within Steam and without Steam running through the exe file.

2)
Create a file to have your CK2 Documents equivalent for the game inside the folder in the Steam directory.
Inside Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings II
create a simple text file called userdir, so that you have a userdir.txt file there.

Inside that file should only be the path to the on launch automatically and newly created folder, so for example:
D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings II - 3.351 DOCs

Try again to start the game from within Steam and without Steam running through the exe file.

----

Several ideas i have for why that might be are :
- Your Documents are on the cloud on OneDrive, but the game can't access it.
- Your game lacks required software (the least likely to me, as it usualy gets installed automatically, depending on your Operating System)
- Your local Documents folder is blocked for the game (access permissions).
- You computer is part of a network (at job/university or such).
- Your Documents is on a different harddrive (can, not must, cause issues).
- Game has a conflict with another meanwhile running program (discord, geforce experience etc). So turn them off beforehand, if possible.
- Fullscreen optimisation or overlay conflicts.
- I miss the obvious hint and i'm dumb. ;)

I will leave it there for now.
Try those two options mentioned above at first and if nothing helps look at the potential causes i mentioned here.

IF the issue persists, then leave a bit of feedback on the earlier suggestions and for tech support provide a dxdiag report
and some basic system and circumstances info to make it easier and speed things up. IF required.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Hmm.....i will try not to post too much and this will be my last or second last post to prevent confusing you,
before tech support might finally arrive.

So that's a bit weird that it doesn't even create the CK2 folder in Documents.

So....
Two quick and easy ideas to test first without much needed thinking are :

1)
Go to Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings II
Right click ck2game.exe,
select Properties -> Compatibility tab,
check" Deactivate fullscreen optimisation" or similar in wording.
Click Okay, save.

2)
Create a file to have your CK2 Documents equivalent for the game inside the folder in the Steam directory.
Inside Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings II
create a simple text file called userdir, so that you have a userdir.txt file there.

Inside that file should only be the path to the on launch automatically and newly created folder, so for example:
D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings II - 3.351 DOCs

----

Several ideas i have for why that might be are :
- Your Documents are on the cloud on OneDrive, but the game can't access it.
- Your game lacks required software (the least likely to me, as it usualy gets installed automatically, depending on your Operating System)
- Your local Documents folder is blocked for the game (access permissions).
- You computer is part of a network (at job/university or such).
- Your Documents is on a different harddrive (can, not must, cause issues).
- Game has a conflict with another meanwhile running program (discord, geforce experience etc). So turn them off beforehand, if possible.
- Fullscreen optimisation or overlay conflicts.
- I miss the obvious hint and i'm dumb. ;)

I will leave it there for now.
Try those two options mentioned above at first and if nothing helps look at the potential causes i mentioned here.

IF the issue persists, then leave a bit of feedback on the earlier suggestions and for tech support provide a dxdiag report
and some basic system and circumstances info to make it easier and speed things up. IF required.
Good luck.
Thank you again for your reply.

1) I put a check mark in "disable fullscreen optimizations" but with no positive results either through steam or running ck2game.exe directly.

2) I got a little confused by your directions so this is what I did. I created a new empty folder in c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\crusader kings ii named "Crusader Kings II" then created a .txt file named "userdir.txt" with one line saying c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\crusader kings ii\crusader kings ii. Still no dice attempting to run through steam or ck2game.exe.

I don't use onedrive or have data saved to the cloud. I am the only person using my computer so I run everything as administrator. All of my programs and data are on my C: drive. The only programs I have running are steam, chrome (youtube and paradox forum tabs), and file explorer.

I am officially out of ideas. I'll run dxdiag at some point if paradox deems it necessary but to be honest I can't think of anything earthshaking that might be gleaned from it. Thank you again for your time trying to help me. I do appreciate it.

2) I got a little confused by your directions so this is what I did. I created a new empty folder....
Nooooo. Why confused. *sad*
No extra subfolder there.

Just create the userdir.txt file inside the game files folder.

This text file should only include the path for a new seperate folder, as in my earlier example.
That new folder works as a diferent location for the Documents equivalent.

The path inside the userdir.txt file can include a not yet existing folder name.
This new folder will be created when launching the game, but the folder can also already exist.
I hope this is clearer now.

Thank you again for your time trying to help me. I do appreciate it.
You´re welcome.

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)."
That almost always means a bad or missing Windows DLL. Run ck2game.exe directly from File Explorer, do you see any Windows error then?

Normally that would call out the problem DLL, it's a shame it doesn't as we don't know now if it is missing or bad.

Please go here:
And run the x86 and x64 installers there.

Then run this Windows repair tool

Good luck!

Normally that would call out the problem DLL, it's a shame it doesn't as we don't know now if it is missing or bad.

Please go here:

Then run this Windows repair tool

Good luck!
Thank you for your reply AndrewT:

Executive summary: After completing the steps you outlined above, the game failed to launch from both the Steam Library page and the CK2game.exe (with the CK2game.exe error box remaining the same as before, "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b).")

1) I downloaded and ran both VC_redist.x86.exe and VC_redist.x64.exe. Then I restarted my computer.

2) I next ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth with the following results:
Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10. 0. 19041. 3636

Image Version: 10. 0. 19045. 4170
[======100.0%======] The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

3) I next ran the sfc /scannow with the following results:
Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of the system scan.
Verification 100% complete

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file...

I have attached a copy of my CBS.log file.

Attachments

• CBS.log
    1,8 MB · Views: 0
Okay then, let's go nuclear. I'm afraid this is a bit of work, but please delete this list of files (about 50 in total)

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mfc100.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mfc100u.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp100.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100_clr0400.dll *
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\xinput1 3.dll
C:\Windows\System32\mfc100.dll
C:\Windows\System32\mfc100u.dll
C:\Windows\System32\msvcp100.dll
C:\Windows\System32\msvcr100.dll
C:\Windows\System32\msvcr100 clr0400.dll *
C:\Windows\System32\xinput1 3.dll

* you may need to change user permissions on these two files before you can delete them. If they won't delete, don't worry about them

PLUS all files that fit the pattern d3dx9_??.dll in both those folders; usually about 20 in each.

THEN Install ALL these Microsoft modules:

(run dxsetup.exe after extracting this download to its own folder anywhere on your computer)

I hope that works! Because if not, I'm afraid a Windows Reset or clean reinstall is in your near future ... :(

Okay then, let's go nuclear. I'm afraid this is a bit of work, but please delete this list of files (about 50 in total)

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mfc100.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mfc100u.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp100.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100_clr0400.dll *
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\xinput1 3.dll
C:\Windows\System32\mfc100.dll
C:\Windows\System32\mfc100u.dll
C:\Windows\System32\msvcp100.dll
C:\Windows\System32\msvcr100.dll
C:\Windows\System32\msvcr100 clr0400.dll *
C:\Windows\System32\xinput1 3.dll

* you may need to change user permissions on these two files before you can delete them. If they won't delete, don't worry about them

PLUS all files that fit the pattern d3dx9_??.dll in both those folders; usually about 20 in each.

THEN Install ALL these Microsoft modules:

(run dxsetup.exe after extracting this download to its own folder anywhere on your computer)

I hope that works! Because if not, I'm afraid a Windows Reset or clean reinstall is in your near future ... :(
Thank you again for your patience, AndrewT.

After all that deleting and reinstalling, I still couldn't get the game to run, neither through the Steam Library page nor the CK2game.exe. I double checked all my old Paradox games (non-Steam EU3 HTTT, Steam EU3 DW, Steam Victoria 1, Steam Victoria 2, even off-line Stellaris that I picked up during the free to play weekend last June) and all of them worked, but CK2 eludes me.

At this point, I have to conclude that this is a Paradox/Steam problem and not a "my computer" problem. I will probably try installing again in a couple of months, but for now, I'm giving up. I see no benefit to lobotomizing my computer to try to make an installation I am convinced is buggered on the Steam end work.

This is not a Paradox or Steam issue;if it were no one could play this game! It is certainly an issue in this computer.

The problem (missing or broken) DLL must be one that CK2 needs but those older games do not. You could try uninstalling VC++ 2010 and 2015/17/19/22 in the Control Panel - there may be several instances of each, remove the all but no need to touch any other VC++ installations there - then run all those VC++ installers in my previous post again, and reboot.

If that doesn't help, detecting which one is the issue is beyond me I'm afraid, you'd have to contemplate a Windows reset or clean wipe and reinstall.

Good luck!

This is not a Paradox or Steam issue;if it were no one could play this game! It is certainly an issue in this computer.

The problem (missing or broken) DLL must be one that CK2 needs but those older games do not. You could try uninstalling VC++ 2010 and 2015/17/19/22 in the Control Panel - there may be several instances of each, remove the all but no need to touch any other VC++ installations there - then run all those VC++ installers in my previous post again, and reboot.

If that doesn't help, detecting which one is the issue is beyond me I'm afraid, you'd have to contemplate a Windows reset or clean wipe and reinstall.

Good luck!
AndrewT

Last ditch attempt: I uninstalled ALL of the visual c++ apps listed on the "Apps & features" tab of Settings (14 in all) and installed from new downloads of the redistributable files from Microsoft (2005 2008 2010 2012 2013 2015 2015-2022). I now show 12 visual c++ apps (no separate 2015 instance, I assume it was folded into 2015-2022). I rebooted my computer and tried CK2 through steam library and CK2game.exe but it would not run.

I uninstalled and reinstalled CK2 in the hope that the old visual c++ files had bugged the installation whereas the new visual c++ files would not interfere. All hope died when again CK2 would not run.

Looking back at Aardvark Bellay's comments, I am supposed to have a "Crusader Kings II" folder populated with files like settings.txt and such. The steam installation NEVER created this folder. When in the installation process is this folder created? Is it created during installation or during the first time the game runs after installation? Would it be possible for you to zip this information and let me add it to my computer just to see if this is the culprit?

In addition, is this program supposed to run through the Paradox Launcher v2 or directly from steam? If it is started through Paradox Launcher I never got to that step

Wishing you a happy Easter.

Is it created during installation or during the first time the game runs after installation? Would it be possible for you to zip this information and let me add it to my computer just to see if this is the culprit?
First time game runs. My copies of those files will not relate to your computer, AND will not solve the problem preventing them from being created.

is this program supposed to run through the Paradox Launcher v2 or directly from steam? If it is started through Paradox Launcher I never got to that step
Normally from Steam, but you can run ck2game.exe directly from file explorer , as you did above; either method ought to create those files and folders. But we got the same error.

Whatever is wrong in Windows here is preventing the game from starting at all, or those Documents folders would be created.

Make a new Windows user on this machine and log into that. Go into Startup Apps and disable everything, then reboot and log in as that new user again. Go you get the same problem?