• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nagassh

First Lieutenant
44 Badges
Dec 1, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
I seem to be having the same issue mentioned in this steam thread
https://steamcommunity.com/app/203770/discussions/0/1743355067099736205/

I can designate an heir due to the reformed Hellenic trait, but they only get everything EXCEPT the primary Roman Empire title since that seems to be forcing it's primogeniture rule ahead of the designation. I'd tried making my second son my designated heir since the first one was dull, only to find that I'd inherit as the first with the Roman title but give everything to my second.

To make matters worse, I can't re-designate my eldest as heir since the crown icon that you click to designate is either not there or hidden behind his current "normal" inheritance crown icon since he's going to inherit my primary Roman title.

Is there any way out of this bar being a tyrant and imprisoning / executing my eldest to force all inheritance onto my second?

Sounds like a bug related specifically to the Roman Empire title having the non-standard inheritance type (Imperial Elective)
It's not a bug, I asked this specifically when they showed the special Doctrine for Hellenic and I asked if that would overrule the Byzantine/Roman Empire inheritance law and they said it won't. So it's WAD, sadly.

It's not a bug, I asked this specifically when they showed the special Doctrine for Hellenic and I asked if that would overrule the Byzantine/Roman Empire inheritance law and they said it won't. So it's WAD, sadly.

Yes except he doesn't have Imperial elective he has primo -> it a bug because they hard-coded not to override Imperial elective but forgot about the fringe case where the empire is REFORMED with a different inheritance law

Yes except he doesn't have Imperial elective he has primo -> it a bug because they hard-coded not to override Imperial elective but forgot about the fringe case where the empire is REFORMED with a different inheritance law
I'm not sure if that's what he meant or not, but then I went and checked for myself and what I found was way worse that what he said. I had a re-formed Roman Empire set in Agnatic Primogeniture like what you said. Not only I can't chose my heir. I don't, and can't have an heir.
669bcf973adb3b12a853985847c2a719.png

14331e7e99ef42290c7610cf573e754b.png

Sorry, should have thought to post images, hopefully these help.

20190613185539_1.jpg

The above is my inheritance laws, Empire of Italia -> Byzantium -> Rome I think, it was a while ago so I forget the exact route I went but I started as the lombards as opposed to Byzantium or anything.

20190613185533_1.jpg

I still have the option to designate anyone as my heir, but it only applies to the non-Roman Empire titles, so if I handed it out my designated heir would get every landed title, but the eldest would always get the titular Roman Empire and be my next playable character. That character is also completely impossibel to re-designate as my heir for the landed titles, presumably because he still has the default crown for the heir that you're playing as in the place of the designate button.

I was able to rectify it to some extent by designating a son who was also a rival, then dueling and killing him so that it would revert to my eldest.
Not a happy fix though since it's saddled me with kinslayer, killed one of my better sons and I'm still saddled with purely premo and a designate trap button.