Cannot create naval bomber in airplane designer

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jamesdeath123

Corporal
28 Badges
Oct 31, 2009
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria: Revolutions
When I access the plane designer, I don't have an option to select torpedo. When I tried to find which technology enabled it, I can't find any. I searched online and some suggested a tab in the tech that says naval support, but I don't even have that tab...

1670405960132.png

In the plane designer, I can't find torpedo here in the main armament (selected advanced medium frame):

1670406061623.png

I do have the "By Blood Alone" DLC, how do I find the place to create naval bombers?
1670450433627.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
You find torpedos in the naval tech research tab. You're obviously missing that tab.
I don't know if this is bound to an DLC like Man the Guns, because I always play with all DLCs activated.

I do have the DLC
Which one? There are many.

Last edited:
Reactions:
You find torpedos in the naval tech research tab.

Good point about the naval tech research tab.

But of interest, the mouseover tool tip does not mention anything specifically about, "This torpedo tech is needed for airplanes":

1670415941464.png

An HoI4 customer has to have a sophisticated understanding of hardpoints and the knowledge that "Torpedo Mountings" refer to airplanes.

But the tooltip does not clearly identify that torpedo technology is necessary to make naval bombers.

It is not intuitive that....

"torpedoes are to an HoI4 naval bomber,
As a squeeze is to a hug"

Like this response, the tool tip for "Basic Torpedo" is rather wordy, but I do like the colours of orange-yellow, white, black, and green.

I'd suggest that the tooltip use more icons and less words.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Logically, it should be bundled with DD (or, at least, CL/SS). If not - better write a bugreport.

Perhaps display the torpedo as a option that is forbidden, with text (and a link!) directing the player to research basic torpedoes.

Something like this:

1670440117332.png

• 2Like
Reactions:
Oh! and change the terminology to provide information to the player.

Would it be historically correct to call the airplane a "torpedo bomber" instead of a "naval bomber"?

Using the term "torpedo bomber" would inform the player that the airplane needs to have a torpedo and not just any ol' bomb.

• 1Like
Reactions:
No one is addressing the fact that OP doesn't have the tab enabled to research the torpedo in order to make a naval bomber at all.

Is this because Paradox expects everyone to have all DLC every time?

You find torpedos in the naval tech research tab. You're obviously missing that tab.
I don't know if this is bound to an DLC like Man the Guns, because I always play with all DLCs activated.

Which one? There are many.
Updated my question to include the list of DLCs enabled. Isn't the plane designer feature introduced by the "By Blood Alone" DLC?

No one is addressing the fact that OP doesn't have the tab enabled to research the torpedo in order to make a naval bomber at all.

Is this because Paradox expects everyone to have all DLC every time?
Thank you! Exactly what I wanted to say and so confused by! The thing is, I do have "By Blood Alone" that introduces plane designer. BUT if it has to require another DLC to work, then it is a rip-off! The idea of DLC supposed to be optional add-ons...

Last edited:
Hmm, the changes to Naval Tech (splitting off the support equipment to their own page) was NSB, but since you have that enabled it might also be MtG (which added the Ship designer).

However, it is most likely either a bug or a bad install on your part because they have stated they won't require a previous DLC to enable features in a current DLC.

Hmm, the changes to Naval Tech (splitting off the support equipment to their own page) was NSB, but since you have that enabled it might also be MtG (which added the Ship designer).

However, it is most likely either a bug or a bad install on your part because they have stated they won't require a previous DLC to enable features in a current DLC.
That was actually BBA as well, wasn't it?

I tried and I indeed have to buy MtG to have the naval support tab available. What a shame!

Without MtG, naval research is considerably simpler. Players don't research individual types of weapons. It's just hull types. I'd expect one of those to enable the torpedo modules.

However, I tried disabling MtG, and although I could design naval bombers with some countries like the USA, that start with the tech, I was unable to make torps appear for Switzerland, even after I researched all the basic hull types. (The "research_on_icon_click" console command is your friend...)

File it as a bug. Suggest that torps should be enabled for the aircraft designer if the nation has at least one of subs, destroyers, or either cruiser tech researched.

• 2Like
Reactions:
When I access the plane designer, I don't have an option to select torpedo. When I tried to find which technology enabled it, I can't find any. I searched online and some suggested a tab in the tech that says naval support, but I don't even have that tab...

View attachment 924429

In the plane designer, I can't find torpedo here in the main armament (selected advanced medium frame):

View attachment 924430

I do have the "By Blood Alone" DLC, how do I find the place to create naval bombers?
View attachment 924823
Medium bombers cant have torps as their first weapon. Use the second slot.

Reactions:
The technology to unlock the module "Torpedo mounting", which you need for torpedo bombers, only appears in the MTG_naval_support.txt tech file.

Thus currently you need MTG to unlock torpedo armaments for aircraft in BBA.

Making one DLC dependent on another, which has not been the case previously for HOI4.

• 2Like
Reactions:
For those who concerned, thanks for the suggestions, I have filed the bug report here:

• 2Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
Without MtG, naval research is considerably simpler. Players don't research individual types of weapons. It's just hull types. I'd expect one of those to enable the torpedo modules.

However, I tried disabling MtG, and although I could design naval bombers with some countries like the USA, that start with the tech, I was unable to make torps appear for Switzerland, even after I researched all the basic hull types. (The "research_on_icon_click" console command is your friend...)

File it as a bug. Suggest that torps should be enabled for the aircraft designer if the nation has at least one of subs, destroyers, or either cruiser tech researched.
Great point! Bug submitted: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...te-naval-bomber-in-airplane-designer.1561483/