Can you stop with ridiculous meme focuses?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Randomized worlds/starts might help make the so-called memes a bit more plausible. You have to import a save or mod the current start if you want an alternate beginning.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I find the grand conflict more compelling of a game concept and an exploration of an indepth run down on the various fronts and various factors pertaining to governing a nation and the historical difficulties they faced to be more compelling then having these side show cases. However I also play in what people would call "competitive multiplayer" where ya get a group of 10-15 people and actually play out ww2. So maybe I am just lucky to actually have a means to play a game that shines when your headbutting with actual real life entities instead of a robot and a dumb one at that.

And I have no interest in a game like this. For me, competitive games ends with people abusing the most exploity/cheesy mechanics in order to win instead of focusing on the fun factor. And that's absolutely fine. I'm happy that you enjoy the game in your way, but you're also trying to prevent the larger part of the population of Hoi4 from enjoying theirs.

And yes, most of the population ENJOYS the memes.

Reactions:
And I have no interest in a game like this. For me, competitive games ends with people abusing the most exploity/cheesy mechanics in order to win instead of focusing on the fun factor. And that's absolutely fine. I'm happy that you enjoy the game in your way, but you're also trying to prevent the larger part of the population of Hoi4 from enjoying theirs.

And yes, most of the population ENJOYS the memes.
haha so instead of trying to enjoy the game in so far as trying to master the various mechanics and "competing" in a sense to overcome the obstacle that would most align with the WW2 setting. Cause ya know a person does way more to do that then the AI unless ya know you let them cheat as paradox have given you the means to do so and ya know requires you to engage your brain to strategize and interact with people. Your more interested in just going on auto pilot until you reach the end of the focus tree just do it all over again? Until the next meme tree DLC rolls around and thus requires more memes to meet the demand? alright.

Reactions:
haha so instead of trying to enjoy the game in so far as trying to master the various mechanics and "competing" in a sense to overcome the obstacle that would most align with the WW2 setting. Cause ya know a person does way more to do that then the AI unless ya know you let them cheat as paradox have given you the means to do so and ya know requires you to engage your brain to strategize and interact with people. Your more interested in just going on auto pilot until you reach the end of the focus tree just do it all over again? Until the next meme tree DLC rolls around and thus requires more memes? alright.

If that is how you enjoy the game, im happy that you are able to do so. I enjoy my time painting the map with friends and hanging out with them instead of trying to defeat them. Its more relaxing to me and thats what I like to do with my games. Relax. Trying to be competitive is more stress than I want in my life when I already have a stressful one to begin with. I enjoy memes sure, but I also enjoy playing a historical game against the AI which is tough enough for me.

Reactions:
I've studied the war as much as you have pal. You flexing these hyper specific tid bits you've read is not impressive. If anything it just shows your missing the point of the dialogue pertaining to the game as a whole. I love how hardline and literal you all get at the requirement the main antagonists of the conflict must have to overcome the reality of losing the war (and apply on people calling them nazis, which honestly get bent pal). But then turn around and blink like a bunch of glassy eyed fish people. When people propose saying that the Qin Dynasty making a come back in 1936-1940 according to this game is sane and just as likely to happen.

Such a bizzaro world way of thinking. If anything this is again just another means to make this whole contention as ambiguous as possible. When we both know thats not the case. Germany wining has more merit just based on the reality of the situation of two factions fighting naturally produces. One is a winner another is a loser and there are cases when either party can come out as the winner or the loser. Which is again by far way more grounded then what Paradox has proposed here in several iterations of their Fantasy focus tree DLC pathways simply by the setting and enviorment. But ya know keep being contrarian.

Unless you want to sit here and flaunt your history boner some more and explain to me the likelyhood of Kaiser wilhelm coming back from exile and giving the play by play of what it would take for that to occur in 1936. Which i guess in the case of what we have now requires a civil war in Germany. Which if successful removes the main antagonists and ideological position that starts WW2. Literally a pathway fantasy option you'd advocate for would remove root and stem the main reason why WW2 happened in a grand strategy game that is focused around WORLD WAR TWO.

Once again, you are shifting the goalposts.

The argument isn't about whether or not Germany should be capable of winning the war in game.

The argument is about the fact that people are using the claim that something is not possible in the real world to call something meme content that should not be in the game.

And what my side of the argument is pointing out is that by the logic your side has been using, the Germany content should not be in the game because it is also meme content because it was not possible real world.

We're not saying that Germany should be made unable to win, because from a gameplay perspective that is bad. We're saying that the argument that one particular bit of content should be left out because it was not possible real world is a flawed argument because applying that argument equally would make the game unfun as it becomes an interactive history lesson rather than a game.

Because Germany winning real world was not possible. Just as the Ottoman Empire reforming was not possible. So if the latter is bad and should be left out for that specific reason, as the other side of this argument has been arguing, then the same applies to Germany having any ability to win.

Or in other words, we're pointing out that the other side of the argument's logic is fundamentally flawed because they want rid of one bit of meme content but are perfectly happy with another bit of meme content by their definition of what is and isn't meme content.

From my and the people who have been arguing on my sides' perspective both should be in, because it adds more content and ways that the game can be played.

Because we want to play a game, not an interactive history lesson.

The reason it spun off into an argument specifically about Germany's capabilities to actually pull of Sea Lion and win the war is because multiple people started claiming that Germany isn't meme content because it could win and so the argument diverted to proving that it could not do so.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
If that is how you enjoy the game, im happy that you are able to do so. I enjoy my time painting the map with friends and hanging out with them instead of trying to defeat them. Its more relaxing to me and thats what I like to do with my games. Relax. Trying to be competitive is more stress than I want in my life when I already have a stressful one to begin with. I enjoy memes sure, but I also enjoy playing a historical game against the AI which is tough enough for me.
I think you can easily have a structured ww2 hoi4 match that doesn't require the high level strain you seem to think this imposes. But alright.

Reactions:
I find the grand conflict more compelling of a game concept and an exploration of an indepth run down on the various fronts and various factors pertaining to governing a nation and the historical difficulties they faced to be more compelling then having these side show cases.
Fair, but that ain't Hearts of Iron 4. HoI4 (with historic focuses on*) is more a beer-and-pretzels level treatment of WW2. Which, you must admit, lends itself to quickly ginning up lots of these side-quest scenarios.

*With them off, it's a long, strange trip. Enjoy the colours!

I think you can easily have a structured ww2 hoi4 match that doesn't require the high level strain you seem to think this imposes. But alright.

And nothing says I dont play those either. I enjoy everything from 'historical' WW2 matches to more meme based.

Right now, my current game with a friend was Germany and Sweden being the only memebers of the Axis. Germany taking over Italy and handling Africa as well as Soviets and Normandy. Sweden took over his stuff while allies are at war and built up to join the axis later. Thats my meme match.

I haven't done one with a friend in a while but I enjoy Japan and Germany historical matches.

2021-01-28 (4).png
2021-01-29.png

In this particular solo historical matches, I actually defeated the USA and now am currently fighting for Europe and fighting off Britain for a win. I am also fightin the Soviets as I haven't really advanced much further than what is in this picture. I do games of all natures.

Fair, but that ain't Hearts of Iron 4. HoI4 (with historic focuses on) is more a beer-and-pretzels level treatment of WW2. Which, you must admit, lends itself to quickly ginning up lots of these side-quest scenarios.
I think paradox its entirely doable as Paradox has already shown they could perform in Hoi3. What we see here is just them trying to make the game more of an arcade while the franchise itself has been more of a testament to a more specific rundown of a key section of world history. Since this point in history in particular have so much going on that you can make all these elements based around the history alone and it would be compelling. Despite people having already read on it or know the outcome.

Reactions:
I think paradox its entirely doable as Paradox has already shown they could perform in Hoi3. What we see here is just them trying to make the game more of an arcade while the franchise itself has been more of a testament to a more specific rundown of a key section of world history. Since this point in history in particular have so much going on that you can make all these elements based around the history alone and it would be compelling. Despite people having already read on it or know the outcome.

Nobody is saying that Paradox can't do it, they're saying that Paradox didn't do it. Hoi4 is Hoi4, not Hoi3. For good or for ill. The eventual Hoi5 might be more like Hoi3 or it might be like Hoi4 but Hoi4 will not become much more like Hoi3 at this late stage.

And nothing says I dont play those either. I enjoy everything from 'historical' WW2 matches to more meme based.

Right now, my current game with a friend was Germany and Sweden being the only memebers of the Axis. Germany taking over Italy and handling Africa as well as Soviets and Normandy. Sweden took over his stuff while allies are at war and built up to join the axis later. Thats my meme match.

I haven't done one with a friend in a while but I enjoy Japan and Germany historical matches.

View attachment 678327View attachment 678328

In this particular solo historical matches, I actually defeated the USA and now am currently fighting for Europe and fighting off Britain for a win. I am also fightin the Soviets as I haven't really advanced much further than what is in this picture. I do games of all natures.
I don't consider the 1-2 player matches really a "team game." Its still too small in terms of player count to meet the scale of what an actual match would look like. Having 8-10 people is really a blast. Cause ya actually can coordinate like a faction and actually strategize in a way you can't do in this smaller scale engagements. If ya need a source watch a Boken1 video I guess.

Reactions:
I think paradox its entirely doable as Paradox has already shown they could perform in Hoi3.
I found Hearts of Iron 3 gameplay much worse. One example: the detailed trade and resource system, meant that Germany could (and did, if the German player was any good) stockpile enough resources to fuel their war economy at least until Bitter Peace fired.

I still played it, but never the amount as I have HoI4.

Reactions:
I found Hearts of Iron 3 gameplay much worse. One example: the detailed trade and resource system, meant that Germany could (and did, if the German player was any good) stockpile enough resources to fuel their war economy at least until Bitter Peace fired.

I still played it, but never the amount as I have HoI4.
ok? I think Hoi3 fits way more of the correct narrative gameplay and pacing then Hoi4. Hoi4 is just a mess when it doesn't have to be. There are plenty of tidbits missing that was on day 1 of Hoi3.

Reactions:
I don't consider the 1-2 player matches really a "team game." Its still too small in terms of player count to meet the scale of what an actual match would look like. Having 8-10 people is really a blast. Cause ya actually can coordinate like a faction and actually strategize in a way you can't do in this smaller scale engagements. If ya need a source watch a Boken1 video I guess.

Again, I prefer a more relaxed playstyle over a more competitive "Sweaty" style.

ok? I think Hoi3 fits way more of the correct narrative gameplay and pacing then Hoi4. Hoi4 is just a mess when it doesn't have to be. There are plenty of tidbits missing that was on day 1 of Hoi3.
You know that Paradox still sells HoI3, yes? ;)

On a more serious note, it's a strength of HoI4 that people with different playstyles can enjoy the game in their own way. Personally, Bokoen1 videos make me want to never play competitive MP, and you probably find Feedback Gaming and Taureor full of cheesy exploits. De gustibus non est disputandum.

Edit: Need a Latin spellchecker.

Reactions: