• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is it impossible or pointless to implement bigger galaxies for Xbox and PlayStation? I do not understand why we cannot just get bigger galaxies.
from what little I have seen/heard I think it is just an outright technical limitation

because the console version was made around the XBONE and PS4
Tantalus could only do so much, so certain things had to be cut because the systems likely couldn't run them

even if you factor in the optimization that they did for the Series X and PS5, they can't add it in because of that [and the added cross generational multiplayer]

• 1Like
Reactions:
from what little I have seen/heard I think it is just an outright technical limitation

because the console version was made around the XBONE and PS4
Tantalus could only do so much, so certain things had to be cut because the systems likely couldn't run them

even if you factor in the optimization that they did for the Series X and PS5, they can't add it in because of that [and the added cross generational multiplayer]
Are you sure? I get that, but if you play both PC and console you would notice that next-gen consoles can handle problems like endgame lag very well just as well pc

• 1Like
Reactions:
Are you sure? I get that, but if you play both PC and console you would notice that next-gen consoles can handle problems like endgame lag very well just as well pc
the game wasn't built around next gen consoles

to do what you are asking they would effectively need to make a new console version specifically designed around the Series systems and PS5

and I will point out that they have said in the past that there were no plans for that at the moment

added thing, the larger galaxy size isn't the only thing they've "cut"

PC has access to higher crisis difficulties [x10 and x25, those got nixed for the console version]
PC has the ability to have a ton more empires in a game [I don't know what the max is for console, but I know it doesn't compare to PC which can have around 40 on the high end]

there might be some other things I'm forgetting but most of the stuff that didn't come to console edition can pretty much be linked to the lacking power the XBONE and PS4 have [again I will point out they did do some optimization, at least on the Xbox side of things, so the game would run better on the Series systems, but even with that optimization, I'm pretty sure they would need to remake the game with the newer consoles in mind to add in these features]

added thing, the larger galaxy size isn't the only thing they've "cut"

PC has access to higher crisis difficulties [x10 and x25, those got nixed for the console version]
PC has the ability to have a ton more empires in a game [I don't know what the max is for console, but I know it doesn't compare to PC which can have around 40 on the high end]

there might be some other things I'm forgetting but most of the stuff that didn't come to console edition can pretty much be linked to the lacking power the XBONE and PS4 have [again I will point out they did do some optimization, at least on the Xbox side of things, so the game would run better on the Series systems, but even with that optimization, I'm pretty sure they would need to remake the game with the newer consoles in mind to add in these features]
Xbox Series version can currently go up to 25x crisis I believe, and Xbox can only have like 10-12 empires at one time I think, I can't remember. Don't really know much about this stuff but it would be nice if we could get some more optimization for the newer gen consoles if possible though.

Xbox Series version can currently go up to 25x crisis I believe, and Xbox can only have like 10-12 empires at one time I think, I can't remember. Don't really know much about this stuff but it would be nice if we could get some more optimization for the newer gen consoles if possible though.
I checked with someone in the Official Stellaris Discord and they said that console edition still doesn't have the new crisis difficulties

plus, despite the optimizations the new consoles [or at the least the series systems] it is still the same game as the xbox one/ps4
so, they'd need to add the crisis to every platform...not just limit it to the new consoles

I checked with someone in the Official Stellaris Discord and they said that console edition still doesn't have the new crisis difficulties

plus, despite the optimizations the new consoles [or at the least the series systems] it is still the same game as the xbox one/ps4
so, they'd need to add the crisis to every platform...not just limit it to the new consoles
I will have to check because I think it can actually go up to twenty-five, I do not know if that is the case for every console or just the new gen but I will have to check that out. Also, console can get logistical growth scaling and a crisis randomizer but not a higher crisis limit?

Is there even a single Paradox game on consoles that has a current gen and a nextgen version?

I don't believe so and I think that unfortunately also answers the question.

I just checked again and you are right it only goes up to 5x, my fault. I just wish they would explain why and what we can get on console.

I just checked again and you are right it only goes up to 5x, my fault. I just wish they would explain why and what we can get on console.
I already explained why they can't do certain things for the console edition

granted those are my words, and not the words of Paradox Interactive or Tantalus [and there's no real guarantee I am correct in my statement]

if you are a member of the Official Stellaris Discord then about the only recommendation I can make is wait for another Dev Q&A and pop the question of "Why can't Console Edition get things like bigger galaxies and the higher crisis difficulties?" [using the proper command] and maybe you'll get lucky and one of the devs will give a proper answer

because the games are built around old gen, which simply doesn’t have the power to support larger galaxies/crises.

i’m flabbergasted (and impressed) that a game this complex and processor intensive works at all on old gen hardware.

because the games are built around old gen, which simply doesn’t have the power to support larger galaxies/crises.

i’m flabbergasted (and impressed) that a game this complex and processor intensive works at all on old gen hardware.
I mean if the Xbone and Ps4 can handle Civ 5 and Nuclear Gandhi just fine...I see no reason why it can't handle Stellaris

• 1Like
Reactions:
I mean if the Xbone and Ps4 can handle Civ 5 and Nuclear Gandhi just fine...I see no reason why it can't handle Stellaris

6, isn’t it?

i dunno. civ 6 doesn’t have any of the slowdown issues of late game stellaris, at least when i’ve played it.

i’m not a programmer, but i imagine that - and this is a completely uneducated guess - civ being turn based and having fewer, relatively static parts that only move in sequence in comparison to stellaris (think of the pops, individual fleets, leaders, non-empire related units etc.) makes it somewhat less intensive on the hardware.

• 1Like
Reactions:
6, isn’t it?

i dunno. civ 6 doesn’t have any of the slowdown issues of late game stellaris, at least when i’ve played it.

i’m not a programmer, but i imagine that - and this is a completely uneducated guess - civ being turn based and having fewer, relatively static parts that only move in sequence in comparison to stellaris (think of the pops, individual fleets, leaders, non-empire related units etc.) makes it somewhat less intensive on the hardware.
it can probably handle 6 as well, but I don't know how nuke happy Gandhi is in 6...he is nuke happy in 5 though