• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think that no, it would have to be modded in, but one of the child of destiny events makes soemthing similiar happen

You can send your sons away to become head of a merc group and there once was a way where tribals could become nomadic. I believe that was some gamey tactic you could use in Scotland. Not sure, if it is still possible.

That is pretty much it.

I was just wondering for example if I run a successfull family and i want to feel again the vibe to start over, to take the role of the young son with an army and go venture to conquer a new land and enstablish a new Dinasty , like Normans venturing in Southern Italy.

You can give away your land down to a single county, and work your way back up from there. However, you cannot give away your last county and play as a landless character. You also can't start a new dynasty; you're stuck being a member of the one you've started with.

I've had a situation in one game where I became an emperor of a huge swath of Eastern Europe, then a family member of a different religion ended up inheriting, and the empire insisted I abdicate. So I did, and retreated to Volga Bulgaria, slowly built up my strength, and eventually established a new empire on the bones of the old.

I was just wondering for example if I run a successfull family and i want to feel again the vibe to start over, to take the role of the young son with an army and go venture to conquer a new land and enstablish a new Dinasty , like Normans venturing in Southern Italy.

Generally, no. You can't play landless characters (or barons). If you aren't using Ironman you could switch to someone else when you load the game or use the console to roughly simulate what you are describing.

Otherwise, you would need to set up a family member with land elsewhere and then work to get your current character's last title revoked, so you switch that that family member. Simply having a non-dynastic heir will give you game over. You have to lose your last landed title though some type of war/revocation for that switch to happen.

With the new crusade mechanics, you can also switch to your beneficiary if they belong to your dynasty.

Like form a small army and leave ur main country to a family kin and go to found ur new kingdom venturing with a small army elsewhere?
Make sure you have a big retinue as befitting your current role as king or emperor or whatever, conquer one county in Africa or Sicily, move retinue there, give away all other titles and go all Haestein on the Med. Fun!

Edit: just a thought, maybe an Island county is not a good idea, cause your ships will go with the rest of your demesne and your retinues are stuck.

I think you can play as a baron to some degree, if you want. If I am not mistaken, you can hold only a barony as long as you also have a higher title, meaning a duchy or kingdom.

It wouldn't surprise me, though I wonder if it would get wonky with you not owning your capital. I mostly said that as a reminder to the OP not to just keep one barony with no other title. I'm not sure how you would do that exactly, but people are creative.

here is how I mimic adventurers
start as norse or nomads
invade a realm
if norse:
move your capital there . your kingdom will be shared between your sons and your main son will get new kingdom you settled.
in my jyland campaign I never opted out of gavelkind. simply started by invading wessex, then my sons shared wessex and jyland and I was playting with wessex. then wessex invaded southern england, formed england
next I conquered ireland. gave half of england to my brother new king of ireland and then invaded netherlands.
That was closest thing to feel like adventurer if you ask me. gavelkind can be fun mechanic . especially to spread your dynasty when you play as germanic character.
also sweden reformed germanic faith was a cool bonus for me :p but I was planning to become catholic after I am satisfied so it was also little problem

as nomad... I am imagining myself as gathering army large enought to invade a realm first and then invade it

Last edited:
FWIW you CAN play as the Grandmaster of a Holy Order but for some reason NOT as the Captain of a regular mercenary band. Simply open the console, type in charinfo to get character IDs then play <characterID> to swap to that character. I usually then type charinfo again to hide extra character info.

I've written about this play style many times before, my favourite campaign of all time was playing as the head of a custom Holy Order. Play is "odd" - very stable since you can never lose the game for having no landed titles, you also can't lose by having someone else take over the title as you always play the current leader even if the next guy is totally unrelated to you.

Against that is the fact that characters in mercenary companies and Holy Orders can't get married and succession is Open Elective, so therre is no need/no ability to plan for your future. To get around that all you have to is Present lots of Debutantes and take the Seduction focus, if your new character is Celibate then join the Dominicans or whatever the get to Level 2 and you can lose that trait by free decision.

Apart from shagging all the local daughters of Europe, I had lots of fun joining other people's wars just for the fun of it. If you keep your army constantly raised it won't cost you a cent in upkeep so you can fight who, when and where you want. If you disband your troops then random rulers will hire your band and in many cases pay you for the privilege - all you'll see while you play "chase the debutante" is that your coffers will keep randomly filling up.

Another quirk is that if you play the Templars you will see all your gold magically disappear every time it goes above 300g as all the great magnates take advantage of the First Bank of Jerusalem intrigue decision. On the plus side you will get LOTS of second sons and free baronies out of it, eventually you should have a dozen or more baronies all across Europe with tons of prestigious heirs and dynasts in your court. Best of all - once the barony holder dies it comes back to you so you will have endlessly happy courtiers who all share the similar traits with you while loving you for giving them baronies to run.

And as I said at the outset - if you lose it all you can always just start again !

One neat trick is to somehow try to arrange for your heir to be a highly skilled heir of some powerful king. This is hard as Holy Order succession is Open Elective and hard to game, but if your nominee is a little bit older (say 30-35) and you give him lots of baronies, Council positions and honorary titles then this can help swing voters to him. Once he gets in try to kill off his older brother(s) and take the throne for yourself - being King of Aragon AND the Grandmaster of the Knights Templar is great fun, at that point you can grant the Templar title to another ally and play on as a regular landed King.

So many role playing possibilities !

I think you can play as a baron to some degree, if you want. If I am not mistaken, you can hold only a barony as long as you also have a higher title, meaning a duchy or kingdom.
well, you're not a baron, then, are you?

Leaving your last fief: No, you can't- Game over.
Sending sons away as mercenaries got widely available now with the Attila and Ashina bloodlines enabling owners to do this regardless of government type and religion. Given the "Adventurer"-trait really rocks, it can never hurt to grab these. And in the start date around 1066 there's thankfully plent of Arpads having it.