Can not connect to a friend's Stellaris Game (Cross-platform) after Patch 2.8.1.2

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mc Timsy

Recruit
2 Badges
Nov 19, 2016
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
Hello everyone.

A friend and I wanted to play Stellaris together, but for the past 2 days, we have not been able to solve our problems.

We can not see each others games anymore. He uses a Steam account, I use my GoG Version. In the past we were able to use the beta-patch via Steam, but this does not work for us now. A few strange things we observed:

1. When hosting a game, I have a Checkbox below, where I can allow for cross-platform play. My friend's version from Steam doesn't have that same Box.
2. I seem to be in a "Restricted Network", but have not been able to change that status.

We have experimented with the firewalls, but they do not seem to be the problem. So as far as we can say, we were able to play just a couple of weeks ago und now, the Patch seems to have stoped this ability.

Had anyone similar problems, or knows a solution?

Your friend will have to opt into the stellaris_beta version, in the Steam Betas tab for this game. That uses Paradox MP services instead of Steam's.

Since you are not on Steam you use a version of this game that uses Paradox MP services, not Steam's . Your friend on Steam by default uses Steam's MP services, but if they opt into stellaris_beta they will then be in the Paradox MP universe and you'll be able to play each other.

Me and my friend are trying to do this but we have tried both cross play betas and have had an error that the host is playing a different version both times and the other betas are for previous versions of the game anyway

Me and my friend are trying to do this but we have tried both cross play betas and have had an error that the host is playing a different version both times and the other betas are for previous versions of the game anyway
You must use exactly the stellaris_beta version, NOT the "crossplay" or any other beta there.

If you use that beta but have different versions or checksums, there's some other problem here.

My apologies, it's stellaris_test

Right click on the game in the Steam library, properties, betas. Click on the drop list there, stellaris_test is the last one listed.

That version uses a different stellaris.exe which will need to be let through all firewalls separately to the standard one.