• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Herald of Nurgle

Recruit
30 Badges
Sep 23, 2016
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Magicka
  • Magicka 2
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
One of my favourite aspects of PoE was being able to create my own party by hiring adventurers, and it's the only way I played the game; never using the companions. Has this feature been confirmed as in or out for Tyranny yet?

I was also wondering if it could be possible to create my own 4 men team.
During the stream, they said it's possible - even if punishingly hard - to complete the game solo, without taking any story companion. Therefore, I don't see the reason why we shouldn't be able to complete it with 3 "mute" companions.

For sure I will play with premade companions the first time(s), in order to know them, their stories and their combos/interactions. That said, I enjoy building my own custom party when I want to face the highest difficulty (PotD), and I hope it will be possible in Tyranny as well.

Reactions:
If it is possible, great. If not (or just in general), I do hope the premade companions come with slightly more relevant stats than Pillars of Eternity. I get that minmaxing them probably shouldn't be done, but there is generally useful (like Edér, short of PotD anyway) and there is mind boglingly odd (like Pallegina, who doesn't have good stats for a damage dealer or a tank).

Created characters kill the spirit of party and all relations inside the party. Bad idea.

I agree. Though the game also has to offer choice in companions that allow you to make a versatile party. Until I got the Devil of Caroc in PoE's expansion (the only rogue NPC) I had to use a created rogue because none of the other NPCs were good at disarming traps or picking locks. Which was really annoying if I was forced to send someone to trigger a trap or leave chests/rooms behind that I couldn't access. And I'm not really keen on going to back places just to get some loot.

I agree. Though the game also has to offer choice in companions that allow you to make a versatile party. Until I got the Devil of Caroc in PoE's expansion (the only rogue NPC) I had to use a created rogue because none of the other NPCs were good at disarming traps or picking locks. Which was really annoying if I was forced to send someone to trigger a trap or leave chests/rooms behind that I couldn't access. And I'm not really keen on going to back places just to get some loot.

You don't need a rogue for traps in PoE. Anyone can learn the mechanics skill.

I suppose it would also be a challenge to create custom party members due to the skill combos system? As long as there are enough options to choose from, this shouldn't be an issue anyways.

Thank you Captain Obvious. I know that and still at some point traps and locks were getting tougher than I was able to level mechanics. Hence I was forced to create a rogue specifically for that job until I got Devil of Caroc.

You said earlier: "I agree. Though the game also has to offer choice in companions that allow you to make a versatile party."

As I see it, this is not a problem with the game. You simply painted yourself into a corner by not planning ahead.

You said earlier: "I agree. Though the game also has to offer choice in companions that allow you to make a versatile party."

As I see it, this is not a problem with the game. You simply painted yourself into a corner by not planning ahead.

Bullshit. This has nothing do to with not planning ahead. In fact I did, otherwise I wouldn't have created a rogue NPC in the first place.

I even retrained characters to increase mechanics. It still wasn't enough because their classes just aren't able by design to get mechanics to a high enough level. Only a rogue is able to get it high enough without sacrificing other abilities and you even have to buy an expansion if you want a rogue that isn't a created character.
I call this not giving players enough choice in companions.

Nowhere can we find a clear answer to a developer ? I love riding my tank as I wish. I love riding my mage as I wish. I want to be a rogue and not do the hand with another ... I'm disappointed for once. Really if it not possible.