Camera stuttering in 2300s - did not happen before ~2.6

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ronar8

Recruit
10 Badges
Jul 15, 2018
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
Hello! I had this problem with Stellaris since upgrading my PC around patch 2.6. Key note is upgrading my processor to Ryzen 5 3600.

Issue is mainly about camera choppiness/stuttering and it got better or worse with different patches along the road.

This stuttering starts from the beginning of a new playthrough but it's very subtle. Game is blazing fast early on and gradually slows down each year while the stutters are more frequent and noticeable. Around 2340-2350 game becomes unplayable for me - every few ingame days Stellaris is freezing for ~2-3 seconds.

I have also noticed that my CPU is running at 100% on one thread which is identical to the issue described in this thread "Camera Choppyness and Stutter in 2.6.1".
However applying this "fix" with cpu affinity didn't improve my gameplay at all, there is only a change in thread workload. CPU6 goes down from 100% to 60% after disabling and re-enabling.

Stellaris is running on SSD, Windows 10 v. 20H2 with a few minor backgroud processes (f.lux, msi dragon center, discord). Steam overlay is disabled.

Don't get me wrong, I expect late-game lag and/or slowdown especially when playing modded game but I don't think it should look like that. I remember from before 2.6 when I have played heavily modded games they just slowed down to a crawl (game often needed 60 seconds to pass a month). However there was little to no stuttering as opposed to now.
Right now Stellaris is much faster in mid-game and late-game, in fact I have measured time needed for a month to pass on 2.8.1 in 2354 - it took only 15 seconds on average! Full year took around 3 minutes so that's an awesome result. Unfortunately those freezes are keeping me from finishing saves.

I have uploaded a video showing this problem and a few screenshots. Also DXDIAG and game logs.
It was recorded on modded save (~40 mods, around 3/4 of them is music or graphical). IIRC this problem persists on vanilla gameplay, although much later around endgame basically.

I will be thankful for any help regarding this issue!

Attachments

• new game settings.png
    new game settings.png
    800,4 KB · Views: 0
  • DxDiag.txt
    105,1 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    8,4 KB · Views: 0
  • settings.txt
    1,6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Does this only happen on speed 5? What do you see on lower speeds?

May as well update that nVidia driver to the 2021 one:

And set the refreshRate in the launcher to 60.

If none of that helps, is fullScreen mode any better?

It happens on lower speeds too, just more time between freezes. Attached screens of 3dstats at different speeds. (Borderless 144Hz)

Borderless at 60Hz forced by nVidia Control Panel - same results

Setting Fullscreen at 144Hz - same results
Setting Fullscreen at 60Hz - same results

Funnily enough setting 60Hz refreshRate on Fullscreen in launcher didn't limit ingame FPS - it was still capped at 144Hz. So I have limited refreshRate to 60 in nVidia Control Panel.

Setting Fullscreen at 60Hz in nVidia Control panel - same results

After that I have disabled G-Sync for both monitors and tested game on Fullscreen and Borderless - same results...

Finally I have disconnected second display and tested game at Fullscreen and Borderless - no effect.

All of the testing was after updating windows to most recent version (some cumulative update) and updating nVidia driver to 461.40 version. (also used DDU beforehand)

Attachments

• speed 1.png
    speed 1.png
    185,1 KB · Views: 0
  • speed 2.png
    speed 2.png
    216,3 KB · Views: 0
  • speed 3.png
    speed 3.png
    211,6 KB · Views: 0
  • speed 4.png
    speed 4.png
    209,3 KB · Views: 0
  • speed 5.png
    speed 5.png
    145,6 KB · Views: 0
  • cpu util.png
    cpu util.png
    36,9 KB · Views: 0
That still shows CPU 6, I see, which is a little odd that it chooses the same one each time to carry the main threads. Disallowing the game from using CPU6 doesn't really change anything, is that right?

In the Windows search box enter msconfig. Go into Boot-advanced, is number of processors there ticked? If so please untick it and reboot.

Disallowing the game from using CPU6 doesn't really change anything, is that right?
Doesn't change a thing stutter-wise. Load from CPU6 jumps to other cores (CPU0-3) and after re-enabling goes back to ~10%.

Number of processors option in msconfig was unticked from the beginning.

Attachments

• game started.png
    game started.png
    43,6 KB · Views: 0
  • game for some time.png
    game for some time.png
    39,4 KB · Views: 0
  • cpu 6 off-on.png
    cpu 6 off-on.png
    46,8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I see, so I guess that shows the stuttering problem is not related to CPU6 maxing out, that's a red herring.

We are left with basically no clues why this is happening to you!

@Guraan I wonder if you have any ideas here, based on what you see above? Thanks!

Due to request from Stellaris support, I am reuploading video from the first post in form of .zip file. Attaching .mp4 to post doesn't seem to work for me.

Attached file cointains 3 videos - first one is showing stutter during modded gameplay and the other 2 are showing stutter during vanilla gameplay.

Attachments

• stellaris stutter.zip
    253,8 MB · Views: 0