• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The new chapter is here and it finally introduces the last character.

Part VII - Early 1422
-------------

Athens, Hellas, Jan 1422

Deep in the palaces of the Acropolis the Page entered the kitchen exhausted. Amongst the aromas of garlic and pepper worked the cook who was responsible for what the Duke ate.

“Can you believe it? The Duke has ordered another goose like the one on his mantel. I wish someone would break that wooden goose!” Cursed the cook when he saw the Page’s presence. The Page took a seat by the stove ignoring the comment.

“So lad. What have they got you doing today. I’ve barely seen you.” Asked the chef less selfishly.
“Oh man. It’s all been happening today. Apparently Genoa has joined the crusade and declared war on the Ottomans.” Replied the Page.

“Well that’s a good thing then yeh? With all those Genovian ships on our side surely we’ll gain the naval supremacy and turn the war back on our side.”
“Yeh that’s what the Duke and advisors were all saying.”
“Well then why the glum look?

“The Duke in one of his frenzies. He wants everything done and he wants it all done now and you know what that means?”
“More work for us.” They said together.

After a long pause the Page was about to divulge everything he had done today to the benevolent chef until he noticed the aroma had changed. The garlic had been replaced with a far less appetising scent, a smell that that wooden goose would be much more accustomed to. Smoke. The Page took a second whiff because making his conclusion and by then their was need to alert the cook as he could read a man’s face like a book.

They both turned around in horror and the cook tended to the roasting goose.
“By the Grace of Athena! It’s ruined!” cried the cook upon inspection and made arrangements to cease the smoke and dispose of the burnt goose.

“But not to worry,” the cook continued as he briefly entered his store whilst the Page watched on, “I’ve had very much experience in this sort of thing and I’ve learnt that it’s always best to a spare.” And with that he brought forth a second goose for roasting.

“The Duke never knows. Although I must say, at this time of year it’s a good thing its a goose he wants and not a turkey. I don’t think I would be able to get a hand on two turkeys, not with this blockade and all.” Added the cook

“Well you won’t have to worry about that anymore if Genoa really does join this war in more than just name. And if our armies keep up their recent successes I dare it they’ll be just as many Turks as turkeys ready for roasting.” replied the Page

Just then the gong ran from upstairs.
“Speaking of roasting, it sounds like the Duke has another job for you” said the cook and with that the Page departed a headed back upstairs.

---------

Piraeus, Hellas, Mar 1422

It was a full moon and the crew of the Athenian galley was asleep by the dock except for two men. The Sailor and his mate were up to something.
The mate came scurrying quietly back towards the railing as the Sailor watched out across the harbour to where their fishing boat still stood.
“The whipper’s asleep” whispered the mate.
“Are you sure? I don’t want this going wrong.”
“Yeh I’m sure. I even poked him and he didn’t move.”
“Alright then let’s go”

The Sailor and his mate leaped over the railing and ran down the wharf. Without looking over their shoulders they headed towards the fishing boat. When they reached the boat they climbed aboard so hurriedly that an oar created a loud splash in the water. They both paused mid-action and looked up at the inanimate galley for a moment before pushing off.
A few minutes later, once the galley was out of sight the Sailor and his mate breathed easier and started talking at regular volume.

“We did. I can’t believe we did it!” cried the Sailor.
“I can’t believe we’ve off that hell of a galley.” Said the mate. “Your plan actually worked.”
“Yeh, who would’ve thought our boat would still be moored there after three years.” Replied the Sailor. “So where do you want to go now? Salamis? Aegina?”
“Let’s go to Hydra. My cousin lives there. He should be able to help us out.” Responded the mate.
“Alright. Hydra it is.” Concluded the Sailor as he adjusted the rudder.

An hour later, as the dwarfed fishing boat was crossing the Saronic Gulf the pair noticed a couple of dark specks on the horizon. The specks became larger and more numbersome as they got closer and just as the Sailor and the mate began wondering why such a large fishing fleet was out in the gulf at this time of year they received their answer. A howling cannon fired in the distance and the ball landed within 10 metres of the boat. The shockwave it sent out was enough to, when combined with the reaction of the two crewmembers aboard, launch the tiny vessel through the air. The mate bounced out of his seat like a frog and landed in the water whilst the sailor landed where the mate had been.

“Help! I can’t swim.” Cried the mate between gasps as the Sailor battled with an oar to position it near him. Finally the mate grabbed hold of the oar and the Sailor reeled him in but not before another cannonball landed even closer to the boat and almost sent the Sailor in the drink too. Only once the mate was aboard were the men able to assess their situation.

“By the Grace of Athena they’re Ottomans!” exclaimed the Sailor.
“You fool! How could you forget about the blockading Ottoman fleet? What a stupid plan it was to escape.” Blamed the mate.
“Don’t blame me! You’re the one who’s spent his whole life on the sea and never learnt how to swim.” Rebutted the Sailor as a third cannonball flew over their heads. “Let’s just get out of here.”

The two men turned the boat around and rowed for their lives, this time without the aid of whippers, back towards Piraeus. Luckily for them the Ottomans held their positions. However it was not long afterwards that the Sailor and his mate realised they were not safe yet.

“There’s a hole!” cried the mate.
“Well block it.” Answered the Sailor.
“With what?”
“Your jumper. It’s already soaked.”
Water was gushing in fast.
“It’s not working. We’re sinking and I can’t swim!” panicked the mate.
“Just come here and keep rowing. We might make Piraeus yet.”

As first light appeared on the horizon Piraeus was awaking to sounds of two lunatics bringing their half-sunk boat to the wharf. They abandoned their boat and ran, still panicking, back along the wharf to the galley. They jumped back aboard and collapsed in a heap just before the dawn bell rang. The whole crew was up in a jiffy and the roll was taken.

As the Sailor and his mate’s names were read out their faces went red as they responded. The whipper then asked them why they were all wet and they looked at one another before blurting out that it had rained last night.
The whipper took one look at the endlessly blue sky before the pair burst into laughter.

---------

Ludogorie, Rumelia, May 1422

The Athenian stood in formation in the middle of an open field ready for battle. The Knight and his men had recently crossed the border from Dobrudja and had been marching on Varna when his scouts spotted an Ottoman army coming his way. The Knight had halted the army to gain the defensive advantage and decided on a secure hill on which to setup his defence.

In the mild morning breeze the army stood awaiting their enemy raring to go at a moments notice. The Knight knew that it would only be a matter of hours before his life and, more importantly to him, his reputation as a nobleman would be put under the hammer.

The Knight decided to give his men a speech of confidence to raise the spirits of his men, not that they were particularly low. They had recently defeated the same army twice already but the Knight wanted to enforce his charisma to inflate his image of success and shun any perceived meekness that resulted after the indignity that occurred at the Thracian border.

“Men of Athens!” he began powerfully “We are gathered to here today join in holy matrimony the Ottoman Army and the grave. For many years the union has been planned and as protector of our faith it has been our duty to make the union a reality.

“For better or worse we shall fight with all our might without fear or intimidation, for richer or poorer our endeavour is not for ourselves but on behalf of our omnipotent Duke and our eternal Duchy, in sickness and in health we shall slaughter these Infidels without compassion until every last one of them is tied to the grave.”

“These our the vows, we have the ring ready, so lets go give it to them!” roared the Knight and army cheered loudly. He had once again proved to himself that his sermons were his strength as he looked into his army’s eyes and saw them glowing with the focus of a hawk.

Not long after the speech, the pitter-patter of the enemy army came within audio range and the Knight rode over to his sergeant.
“It looks like this is it.” Said the sergeant
“It sure does. Lets get ourselves in formation at the back of the army.” Replied the Knight
“At the back? Don’t you think after that speech you should be at the front of the group to show them that we have no fear.” Queried the Sergeant.
“No, no. I need to be at the back so I can organise the divisions. I can’t see how the battle is progressing if i’m in the middle of it can I?”
“Very well.” Conceded the sergeant and the both of them rode around to the rear of the army.

The marching got louder and louder but the enemy were nowhere in sight. After a few more minutes the Knight was getting edgy.
“Where are they already?” he thought aloud
“Perhaps they’re more cowardly than usual. They have lost to us before remember.” Hypothesised the sergeant.

It was then that the marching sound was accompanied by a charging roar. The Knight’s heartbeat went up a notch and he scoped the nearby woods for the enemy with no luck. Within seconds he and his whole army identified where the sound was coming from, it was coming from behind them. The Knight turned immediately and was shocked to find the Ottoman Army charging towards him.

“By the Grace of Athena!” was all the Knight could utter as he realised he had been outwitted by his counterpart. Then, in a move that bewildered his army, the Knight then took off away in the opposition direction to the enemy.
“Where are you going?” yelled the sergeant as he mirrored the Athenian armies’ thoughts in that their leader was a coward.
“The back!” Cried the Knight mid-gallop “I need to be at the back.”

-------------
END PART VII

Well my exams aren't quite over but I can't let this AAR disappear off the front page so he's the next chapter. You should see an increase in update speed for this now as holidays are almost upon me. The first screenshot will come in the next chapter also.

Part VIII - Late 1422
-------------

Bursa, Anatolia, Aug 1422

It had been over a year since the capture of Macedonia and ever since The Emissary had been ordered to negotiate a peace with the Ottomans in which the ownership of Macedonia passes to Athens. Negotiations had been unproductive in Constantinople so The Emissary was sent to the Ottoman capital in Bursa to speak to the Sultan directly. He was accompanied, as always, by his support and direct superior who was apart of the Duke’s Ministry.

“Alright. Let’s not stuff this meeting up. It’s not often that we get a chance to talk directly to a ruler. Have you ever been in throne room before?” Coached the minister

“Well I’ve been to the Tuscan Senate.” Responded The Emissary.

“Well this will be something a bit different but don’t be intimidated by him. Just remember what you’re going in there for and keep focussed.” Continued the minister.

The giant gong rang and the doors opened for The Emissary to enter. The Emissary took one last reassuring look at the minister and mouthed a word but no sound came out as he walked through the massive doors.

The door reopened much earlier than the minister anticipated, it had only been a few minutes. He was suddenly fearful as it had either gone terribly well or terribly wrong. The Emissary came out the doors in midair suspended from two gargantuan guards raised arms. They dumped The Emissary in heap on the floor before slamming the door.

“What happened? What did you do? Asked the minister rushing to The Emissary’s aid.

“I don’t know. We’re sitting down to some tea and were trading compliments to each other and then all of a sudden the Sultan got all upset and had me thrown out.” Reported The Emissary with a look of confusion on his face.

“Well you must have done something to offend him. Was it the tea? Did you not drink the tea?” Queried the minister

“Oh no I drank the tea, the tea was very nice” conceded The Emissary.

“Well it must have been something you said. Tell me exactly what you each said?” continued the minister.

“Well as I said after the tea was served we started complimenting each other.”
“He said “May the benevolence of the prophet Mohammed bring blessings on your house.” “
“And I said “and on yours””
“Then he said “And may his wisdom bring success in all your undertakings.”
“And I said “and in yours””
“Then he said “And may his radiance light up your life.”
“And I said “and up yours” and that was went he got upset.” Quoted The Emissary

“You didn’t did you?”

“Did what?”

“You said “Up yours” to the Ottoman Sultan. By the Grace of Athena man! Did I not tell not to insult the sultan?” Yelled the minister as the Emissary finally realised.

“Well now we got to go all the way back to Athens and report this to The Duke again.” The minister concluded

“Oh no...Do we have to?” feared The Emissary “Let’s stop off in Constantinople and try negotiating there; if we leave quickly we can beat the news of this offence.”

“It’s worth a shot. Let’s go.” Replied the minister as they ran out of the palace with many an offended eye following them.

---------

Varna, Rumelia, Sep 1422

“Get yourselves ready men. We charge in a few minutes” pronounced the sergeant.

The Soldier was psyched for the battle. He was a seasoned campaigner now as he began his last minute checks. His body armour was rigid, his sword was bloodready. He thought he was ready until he had a look at his feet. One of his sandals was loose. As he crouched down to adjust the strapping he reflected on the sandals. They had been with him since he was drafted and they were showing it, all raggedy with wear. He noticed the feet soldier next to him. He wore think leather boots that almost reached his knee. He glared for a moment in envy.

“Hey what you are looking at!” growled the owner of the feet. The Soldier stood to meet the man.

“I was just admiring your boots. Did you get them from looting?” admitted The Soldier.

“Yeh Nafplion back in 1420. What did you happen to get a hold of. Wait let me guess, that pendant?” said the man noticing The Soldier prized possession around his neck. The Soldier quickly tucked it into his armour.

“I tell you what, how about a little bet in this here battle. If you kill more enemies than me then I’ll let you have my boots but if I win I get to keep your pendant” propositioned the man. The Soldier was hesitant; it was his most prized possession and besides he didn’t even know this man.

“I don’t know. How can I trust you?” asked The Soldier.

“Where are you from man?” replied the man.

“Marathon.”

“Yeh? A fast runner I bet. Well I’m from Larissa. See now we know each other so you can trust me” said the man “so what do you say?” Before The Soldier could answer the horn to charge and the conversation was over.

The Soldier has started the charge in the second rank but with his speed being as it was he was one of the last to reach the battle. Just as he arrived and searched he way through towards an enemy the Larissa man appeared beside him.

“By the Grace of Athena you’re a bit slow. I’ve already killed three” he stated before rushing off once more.

The Soldier soon found an axe-wielding Turk to fight. The Turk stuck first and it took all of The Soldier strength to block the blow with his sword and not fall to the ground. He quickly rebalanced himself and thrust his sword towards the Turk’s left hip but it was parried away by the swinging axe. The Turk then swung again and this time The Soldier side-stepped the assault and found himself behind the Turk who was nearly on all fours after the momentum of that immense swing. The Soldier took this chance to slices his sword across the Turk who let out a bloody shriek as he fell forward onto his axe. The

Soldier took in a deep breath and looked around him just in time to witness the Larissan man fell another Turk.

“That makes seven!” boasted the man.

Suddenly a Turk came running across from behind the man and with a quick slice of his blade decapitated the still-smiling head of the Larissan man. The Soldier gulped and jiggled his head just to ensure his helmet was still on and such a humiliating death could not happen to him.

“Well, he won’t be needing pendant now. He’s got nowhere to hang it” thought The Soldier before running off into the corpse-field in search of the perpetrator.

---------

Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria, Nov 1422

The Knight and his dejected Athenian Army marched through the Bulgarian countryside trying to forget their recent campaign in Rumelia. The first five battles were all victorious but and a siege had been laid on Varna but the Ottomans returned with a larger army and landed a devastating defeat on The Knight. Whilst he had wanted to push on with the campaign The Duke had other plans as Macedonia was once more under threat. The Athenian Army was returning to Macedonia through the only safe path, through Byzantine controlled Bulgaria.

“Can you believe how lazy these people are?” began The Knight to his sergeant as they past buy some gambling Byzantine footmen on the side of the road. “Here they are in the middle of a most desperate crusade in which they have lost control of their capital Constantinople to the heathen Ottomans and they lay he doing nothing.”

“Well sir, they did capture Bulgaria. They probably deserve some rest” responded the sergeant.

“Rest? They captured Bulgaria nearly three years ago! They’ve been sitting on their backside ever since. Well look I’m sick of it. I’m not going to let Athenians bleed for this great crusade whilst others just sit by and watch it pass.”

“Please sir, don’t do anything rash.” Warned the sergeant as The Knight broke formation and approached a group of Byzantine soldiers.

“Men. Where is your commanding officer?” asked The Knight. The Byzantines barely raised an eyebrow to the presence of a knight let alone a salute.

“He’s out walking the horses. Should be back soon” responded the fat one.

“Walking the horses?” The Knight couldn’t believe the disorder.

“Yeh...you know. Even horses get need to do their business. All that time clogged up in the stables can make the horses look more like elephants with all the bloating.”

“And you have your commanding officer walking them? By the Grace of Athena” he muttered to himself.

“Don’t you people have the slightest piece of national pride? Don’t you want to recapture your city, your homes from the infidels?

“Who are the infidels?” responded the fat one. The Knight had to turn away and when he did he saw a man he was glad to see approaching. A man holding the reigns of a dozen horses.

“What’s going on here men?” He asked when he reached the group.

“This here knight in shinning armour is trying to tell me what to do”

“It’s ‘shining’ armour you ignoramus!” yelled the Knight.

“Hey! Nobody’s allowed to correct my men’s spelling except me. Now what do you want Athenian?” asked the officer with obvious disgust for Athenians.

“I would like to know why you haven’t gotten your army together and marched on Constantinople.” Proclaimed The Knight.

“In case you haven’t noticed the Ottomans are invincible. They defeated us the first time, they took our city, and now we no more than a few thousand men. We would stand no chance against them.”

“Yes they did take your city, yes they did defeat your army, but that was three years ago. Things have changed, the crusade has spread and now the Ottomans are on the run. How many men do you have here? 8000 or so? That is plenty. When combined with the men you have in Morea you will easily have enough to take back Constantinople” persuaded The Knight

“The Ottomans are weak you say?” the officer was tempted.

“Yes, yes. They have lost their naval supremacy and most of their forces are stuck in Asia.” Continued the Knight

“Well then why are you here?”

“We have been recalled. We were laying siege to Varna before the Ottomans arrived with huge numbers and overwhelmed us.” Explained The Knight

“So the Ottomans are in Varna you say. I thought you said they were stuck in Asia. So the Ottomans overwhelmed you with huge numbers. I thought you said they were weak.” Summarised the officer.

“Well I was exaggerating. It wasn’t really that big of an army...” said The Knight

“No, no. I think your right Athenian. We’ll be staying right here” decided the officer and with that he led his horses back to the stables.

-------------
END PART VIII

The Swert said:
Well my exams aren't quite over but I can't let this AAR disappear off the front page so he's the next chapter. You should see an increase in update speed for this now as holidays are almost upon me. The first screenshot will come in the next chapter also.

w00t! :D

Great update, btw. He's got nowhere to hang it. :rofl: